Tuning issues

yukongirl

PRS Custom SE 24 with Floyd
Hello out there. I'm a total newbie when it comes to tuning a Floyd. Got my first PRS yesterday, but can't seem to tune it so it stays in tune. I loosened the 2 screws by the nut. Tuned it the regular way. Tightened the screws. Tried to set the intonation. I thought it was right on, but it just won't stay in tune. Is there somebody out there who has experience with tuning a Floyd? I think I need to know the steps involved. Something like Tuning a Floyd for Dummies. Thanks!

First off, welcome aboard!

I’m no Floyd expert, but there are a couple things. First off, and this is true for all teens, make sure your strings are stretched first. That’s very important.

With the Floyd, make sure the strings are locked at the bridge. If it has fine tuners, you’ll want them somewhat centered so you can adjust either way. Then, what I do is keep the strings on blocked at the headstock, tune up all six strings, making multiple passes until all six are close to in tune. A few dives, a few pull ups if you’re not dive only, then retune. After a couple rounds of this, you should be pretty stable. Tune up, lock at the headstock, then check tuning again. If anything has shifted by more than a small amount, unlock and retune. If you’re just a little off, use the fine tuners.

There are some YouTube vids that will walk you through variations of the process.

And if all else fails, change strings. The Floyd takes a little extra TLC, but I haven’t found it to be horribly difficult.

I've never owned a guitar with a FR Trem. I'm pretty sure they're of the devil:D....I know I'm no help. But, welcome to the forum anyway, oh and enjoy the dive bombs and good luck!

Floyd Rose trems are their own special beasties.

There should be 3 screws at the nut on the top, the ones at the back of the neck should not be loosened.

Other than the advice already given here, I would recommend checking out tutorials on You Tube for managing the Floyd setup!

The way I was tuning my floyd. Set the fine tuners at the bridge to a neutral middle position first. Unlock nut screws. Then tuned the strings in this order, sounds stupid but it works: Low E, high E, B, A, G, then finally D. Then go back to the start and repeat that sequence till in tune. It will take 3 or 4 passes more then likely. Then lock the nut down once in tune. Then use the fine tuners as needed.

The way I was tuning my floyd. Set the fine tuners at the bridge to a neutral middle position first. Unlock nut screws. Then tuned the strings in this order, sounds stupid but it works: Low E, high E, B, A, G, then finally D. Then go back to the start and repeat that sequence till in tune. It will take 3 or 4 passes more then likely. Then lock the nut down once in tune. Then use the fine tuners as needed.

It's been a hot minute since I've had a Floyd, but this is how I remember tuning mine as well. As always with a FR, patience really is a virtue. Someone mentioned Youtube vids, that's also an excellent suggestion.

Welcome, and definitely go to YouTube and look for tutorials. Even if it’s a new guitar, it probably needs new strings right away. Then rock that bad boy!

Hello and welcome. I once was in the same situation as you and I know how frustrating it can be. Here's the video that helped me out and the best part is that the guitar used in the video is a PRS. As other mentioned, be patient. Until you get the hang of it, it may take quite a bit of tweaking back and forth. Give us an update on how it goes.

PRS Custom SE 24 with Floyd
Hello out there. I'm a total newbie when it comes to tuning a Floyd. Got my first PRS yesterday, but can't seem to tune it so it stays in tune. I loosened the 2 screws by the nut. Tuned it the regular way. Tightened the screws. Tried to set the intonation. I thought it was right on, but it just won't stay in tune. Is there somebody out there who has experience with tuning a Floyd? I think I need to know the steps involved. Something like Tuning a Floyd for Dummies. Thanks!

2 screws by the nut??? The 3 locking nut screws? The string retainer bar screws? Back of the neck?

Loosen just the three locking nut screws, tune normally, check intonation, and relock the nut.

As suggested, stretch your strings (I've been known to tune my guitar up a 1/2 step or atleast sharp on trem guitars for stretching), set the fine tuners to the middle, and tune outside strings working your way in by pairs helps, especially as a beginner. Once you get the hang of it a FR is pretty quick, easy and absolutely rock solid tuning.

Last edited:
I have a 2018 SE 24 Floyd. It seems to stay in tune well. Set up is important and the steps noted above will help. It takes some time because tuning or intonating one string can affect all the others. It can take several passes of tuning and intonating before it settles in. It helps to keep the bridge plate level with the body so you might have to adjust the trem springs on the back. Good luck.

Takes some practice but here's a good shot of a level bridge to the body. It doesn't have to be this level and don't overly obsess at getting it to look like this at first or it'll drive you mad! Now it's a walk in the park but trust me it wasn't always that way.

20201115_1913362f50a26dc6dd9b0e.jpg

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and guidance. And the welcome-to-the-forum well wishes. When I posted that I was in a PANIC. But I managed to approach it with more patience and that really helped. Youtube vids. great. Didn't have to adjust the springs - yay!

My next thing is to open up the back and take out a "block" so the trem works both ways. I'll youtube it before I bug anybody though...

Glad to hear it went well! A lot of the time, a deep breath and counting to 10 lets the panic clear and lets you get to work. I’ve even had to pace for a few minutes and think about things away from what I’m working on to get my frame of mind right. But those first few seconds of panic...

Good deal! One more post and you can post pics of the axe. Floyds always drove me nuts personally, but when right they work well.

Well I guess I better get posting. I want to be able to post photos and add links.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and guidance. And the welcome-to-the-forum well wishes. When I posted that I was in a PANIC. But I managed to approach it with more patience and that really helped. Youtube vids. great. Didn't have to adjust the springs - yay!

My next thing is to open up the back and take out a "block" so the trem works both ways. I'll youtube it before I bug anybody though...

Bug away!
Seriously, this is a great place with very helpful people that have years of experience. I actually enjoy seeing the questions and answers because I get to learn things as well.

Back