Tuning issues on a TMDC245.. Help!!

Manny

Hi guyz!!! I own a Ted McCarty dc245.. And i have an issue on this guitar were the low e string G note sounds sharp!! I know this is a week spot on a lot of guitars in general but I really need to fix this. any suggestion as to why this is happening and how can i fix?????

What gauge strings are you using? This always happens when the string is stressed over the second fret, causing the note to go sharp....the harder you press, the more sharp the note goes. I experienced this a lot when I was using "Bottom Heavy" strings where the low E was a thicker gauge than what the guitar was set up for. First I resolved it by going to 9's, but I ended up replacing the nut and compensating for the thicker string. Even after that, my guitar will still go sharp on that note with too much pressure....

What gauge strings are you using? This always happens when the string is stressed over the second fret, causing the note to go sharp....the harder you press, the more sharp the note goes. I experienced this a lot when I was using "Bottom Heavy" strings where the low E was a thicker gauge than what the guitar was set up for. First I resolved it by going to 9's, but I ended up replacing the nut and compensating for the thicker string. Even after that, my guitar will still go sharp on that note with too much pressure....
Im using 10-46.. Supposedly it was stringed with 10 's but not sure if 42's or higher.. So i'll give that a shot.. I use EB SLIKYS.

Yeah, I think more than anything, it's a finess thing....I remember when I went down in gauge I would notice much more variation in the note because of the lighter gauge (more fluctuation in how sharp it would go) compared to the higher gauge (thicker gauge had a bit more resistance, therefore not as much fluctuation, but still too thick for the proper clearance at the 2nd fret). It'll end up coming down to finding the gauge your most comfortable with, finding the happy-medium between natural finess and gauge desire...good luck!!!

Yeah, I think more than anything, it's a finess thing....I remember when I went down in gauge I would notice much more variation in the note because of the lighter gauge (more fluctuation in how sharp it would go) compared to the higher gauge (thicker gauge had a bit more resistance, therefore not as much fluctuation, but still too thick for the proper clearance at the 2nd fret). It'll end up coming down to finding the gauge your most comfortable with, finding the happy-medium between natural finess and gauge desire...good luck!!!
THANX!!!

The frets on that model are quite tall compared to other guitars. Don't press so hard ;)

The frets on that model are quite tall compared to other guitars. Don't press so hard ;)

I was thinking the same thing. I remember the frets on those things being abnormally large. Its not a bad thing, and actually I bet I would like such a feature myself, but it does take a greater degree of control than you may be used to.

Back