tuning issues and possible remedies for DGT

john robeck

Hi All - I recently purchased a new DGT and it's great, BUT it has a HUGE problem staying in tune even a month on the strings. I tune it and strum an open G and D chord and it's already out of tune - usually the G and B strings but the D string can also be out as well. So, gigging with this is almost unusable.

I've tightening the tuning pegs and locking pegs.

Does anyone have any other tips or tricks to help this or is this just how it is with a DGT?

Once the strings are stretched, a PRS stays remarkably in tune, something reviews mention ad infinitum. I've used mine at countless recording sessions, and so have plenty of others, including Grissom. I assume you're stretching the strings when you put them on. Perhaps the guitar just needs a good setup.

Hopefully the problem isn't that you're expecting to tune the guitar only once a month, that's probably a typo.

Once the strings are stretched, a PRS stays remarkably in tune, something reviews mention ad infinitum. I've used mine at countless recording sessions, and so have plenty of others, including Grissom. I assume you're stretching the strings when you put them on. Perhaps the guitar just needs a good setup.

Hopefully the problem isn't that you're expecting to tune the guitar only once a month, that's probably a typo.

thanks for the reply. Strings are a month old and still can't get through more than 30 seconds of a song without being almost a half step out of tune. It's very troubling and not something I've experienced from any other guitar company. This DGT is brand new and 4,500.00 and virtually unusable. Thus the need for some tips and tricks because I'm out of the return policy time.

Without any solutions - selling it is the only option which would incur a 1,500.00 loss in only two months. I've always heard great things about PRS and this model in particular but not experiencing any of that at the moment. Very disappointing to say the least.

And just some fun on a side note (and I'm not picking a fight pitting one against the other) - I've had a dozen or so Anderson guitars that will stay in tune for a month or more with 12 to 15 gigs per month on the some strings and one tuning.

Thanks again and hoping for the best with some discussion feedback :)

thanks for the reply. Strings are a month old and still can't get through more than 30 seconds of a song without being almost a half step out of tune. It's very troubling and not something I've experienced from any other guitar company. This DGT is brand new and 4,500.00 and virtually unusable. Thus the need for some tips and tricks because I'm out of the return policy time.

Without any solutions - selling it is the only option which would incur a 1,500.00 loss in only two months. I've always heard great things about PRS and this model in particular but not experiencing any of that at the moment. Very disappointing to say the least.

And just some fun on a side note (and I'm not picking a fight pitting one against the other) - I've had a dozen or so Anderson guitars that will stay in tune for a month or more with 12 to 15 gigs per month on the some strings and one tuning.

Thanks again and hoping for the best with some discussion feedback :)
Hello, John. I have a feeling, from what you describe, that your strings are binding in the nut. When I encounter weird tuning issues like that, especially after bending a few notes, I put a small amount of lube in the offending nut slots and work the string a bit… normally cures it on the spot. This can be a “new guitar” thing. I use Big Bends Nut Sauce, but even a very light dab of Vaseline will get you by in a pinch. Give it a try.

This always works for me!!!
Turn up to pitch
Play aggressively , Dive bomb , wiggle do your best EVH and Jeff Beck .
Give the trem a wiggle
Tune up to pitch.
Repeat
the tuning will get better.
I have NEVER found a need to use lube in a PRS nut or trem claw.
I have on rare occasion a new PRS nut to be on the tight side but the above fun excerise has always fixed it.
Have fun :)
I also have never needed to stretch strings for more than a day or two.

I've had a dozen or so Anderson guitars that will stay in tune for a month or more with 12 to 15 gigs per month on the some strings and one tuning.

Had a few Andersons myself. Nice guitars, but still had to tune them daily. Then again, out-of-tune guitars drive me mad, so I'm picky about my tuning.

Have you restrung the guitar, or are they the original strings?

Hi All - I recently purchased a new DGT and it's great, BUT it has a HUGE problem staying in tune even a month on the strings. I tune it and strum an open G and D chord and it's already out of tune - usually the G and B strings but the D string can also be out as well. So, gigging with this is almost unusable.

Does anyone have any other tips or tricks to help this or is this just how it is with a DGT?
This is not how it usually is with a DGT. It's a new guitar. Contact your dealer. Your dealer can send it to the PTC to fix any issues.

Hello, John. I have a feeling, from what you describe, that your strings are binding in the nut. When I encounter weird tuning issues like that, especially after bending a few notes, I put a small amount of lube in the offending nut slots and work the string a bit… normally cures it on the spot. This can be a “new guitar” thing. I use Big Bends Nut Sauce, but even a very light dab of Vaseline will get you by in a pinch. Give it a try.

Great suggestion. I'll give that a shot!

Had a few Andersons myself. Nice guitars, but still had to tune them daily. Then again, out-of-tune guitars drive me mad, so I'm picky about my tuning.

Have you restrung the guitar, or are they the original strings?

They are the originals. I'm gonna give the a change here and see if anything improves.

Are they the same gauge as the originals? It they are not, there’s your problem. If you’re in the DMV, pm me and this can get sorted in a hurry.

Not sure if that helps but try to tighten up all the screws like the tuning keys screws and the bolt on top, the block to trem base screws too. I remember the story when I was taking the care of my friend Gibsons when he went for holidays. I remember him saying that them going out of tune is just a "Gibson thing". They all had loose tuner bolts on the front of the headstock. Once this done, strings stretched they all stayed in tune perfectly.

None of my Paul Reeds has any form of tuning issues

Probably the tremolo screws.

When I got my '08 DGT, the tuning was a disaster. The shop, who is very well versed in PRS guitars, couldn't fix, and the guitar ultimately had to go back to the factory.

Turned out the screws are the bridge were all messed up and out of whack.

You should be able to get the guitar to stay in tune without any lubricant on the nut or bridge. My guitars are almost always in tune right out of the case. They rarely require a little tweak on a tuning peg to adjust one here and there. I do all of my own work on my guitars and I am very picky about tuning. Something is either sticking or moving. If you have the option to have the shop you bought it from look at it, go that route first. It is hard to diagnose these things through a forum. If I lived near you I would offer to take a look at it and get it worked out for you.

Out of curiosity what nut is installed on your guitar? The new white bone one or the old style black one?

Most probable that the nut is catching the strings. I usually check by tuning up then doing a bend or heavy vibrato and If the string goes out the nut needs to have the slots cleaned up a bit and lubed.

Also make sure there are no extra wraps of strings on the post. Also make sure the string is pulled all the up in the block, sometimes if you don't hold the pressure on the string when re-stringing the string will fall back a bit and the ball won't be seated I the block.

I had to clean up the nut slots on my CU24 and I always use a touch of super lube lubricant in the slots and the trem posts. No issues at all

I didn't take the time to read all of the responses but if its going a half step out of tune I would look at how you are securing strings at the tuner end.

If done properly you probably won't have a full wrap around tuner. The lockers need to be tight enough to grip string but not so tight that it cuts string.

I have a 2023 core DGT that wouldn't stay in tune. PRS requested I send it back for re-evaluation. They replaced the bone nut with a their synthetic nut and now it stays in tune. I like the looks of a bone nut, and like the guitar staying in tune with a synthetic nut even better.

Back