Tuning and Lubrication

I use a bit of pencil lead on my squeaky nuts which has always worked up to yet, but polish? Nah, don't do that or replace nuts unless they are wrecked.

I think bone nut is better, actually.

I've heard more than one person say that the self-lubricating nut grooves (particularly the D or G slot) widen relatively quicken compared to other nuts, meriting a replacement.

Can you buy the PRS self-lubricating nuts from PRS?

Yes, PRS nuts are sold separately.

What you said about bone nuts and the fact that PRS started using them on a core model like the 594, made me revisit Paul's rules of tone video on nut materials and wonder what made him change his opinion.
Maybe I misunderstood what he said in the video, but to me it sounded like he preferred their own nut material over anything else on the market including bone???

Maybe I misunderstood what he said in the video, but to me it sounded like he preferred their own nut material over anything else on the market including bone???

I think it's more a matter of how he wants a given guitar to sound.

I've got a couple of limited run PS guitars with the PRS nut material, and a couple of PS guitars with bone nuts. One of the ones with a bone nut is the McCarty Singlecut, a guitar made to do a lot of things in a similar way to the 594 back in 2014.

Paul's pretty consistent about that spec on guitars that are designed to do the LP style thing.

Each guitar was made to suit different purposes. And I think it's not only the way Paul Smith chooses these materials, it's the way things really ought to be thought about as a best practice -- Instead of one-size-fits-all, the materials are being chosen for the particular application.

That's a good thing.

Smart!

MUST this entire thread be a double entendre, or am I just still a grade schooler.....

Kevin

Surprisingly, my orange Cu24 has been going a little out of tune lately - it used to be rock solid. Strings are near-new.
Will have to spend more time with it (work's been getting in the way). I wonder if I'd swap the nut for something else in future (bone...) or get another self-lubricating nut.

So the nut material is their own, not OEMed from Tusq or anyone? I just had a PRS nut installed on one of my 247s -- it's superb!

Back