Tungsten Tremolo Blocks for PRS

I feel pretty strongly, based on results with the Floyd Rose system, that this will add weight to the body (which will lighten the neck) and tighten-up the low end. We'll certainly find out.

John already made me a block from DU. It was the bomb. Truly, it got glowing reviews.

There was only one side effect... this guitar used to be Vintage Yellow. :tongue:

attachment.php

Last edited:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;182707 said:
John already made me a block from DU. It was the bomb. Truly, it got glowing reviews.

There was only one side effect... this guitar used to be Vintage Yellow. :tongue:

attachment.php

But its owner really lights up a room!

Over the top tone and sustain?

Hello all -

Very interesting discussion, particularly since the trend of replacing tremolo blocks seems to have picked up momentum. It seems like brass is the most common material chosen for replacement tremolo blocks due to its higher density and hardness than zinc. There are a number of favorable reports on the internet, though I have yet to see any scientific studies regarding the length of sustain. Tone, of course, is entirely subjective an impossible to measure.

But furthering the theory that the higher the density and the harder the material, the richer the tone and the longer the sustain, tungsten would be the extreme in both these categories. Not only is it harder and denser than brass, but it is also harder and denser than other proposed materials, such as Titanium and even depleted Uranium (yes!)

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metal-alloys-densities-d_50.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardnesses_of_the_elements_%28data_page%29

So if you're modding your guitar (and who isn't?) then it would be interesting to see what a Tungsten tremolo block would behave like in terms of sustain and tone. Regrettably, no one is going to pay for a randomized, double blind test of this experiment, so the best we can hope for is that someone working on a master's thesis takes this on as a project so we can get some real numbers to attach what are mostly anecdotal reports.

Good luck, though, because Tungsten is a real bear to work with, and I feel sorry for the poor machinist who is asked to do it.

OMG... are we actually getting traction on this project?

Hans... I thought this was on HOLD with the move.

Okay... who wants one? I need a head count...
Please email me directly at [email protected]

Last edited:
Is brass harder/denser than steel? I seem to recall other forums with Callaham bridges using steel, being superior over other metals. Better sustain and such, I can't recall it all now. Seemed a lot like smoke and mirrors, but if there is some engineering proof with better sustain being proven, then great. Don't think I recall seeing such data though...

I've got a steel block PRS trem, a regular 2-piece, a MannMade (Mil-Com) 1-piece and a MannMade 1980-spec 1-piece. I keep wanting to change them around and record the results but always too busy to dedicate the time to do it properly.

Tungsten block? I'm in, might as well complete the collection! Also gives me reason to delay doing all the swapping and recording :p

I'm in John, I sent an email to your guitar vault address as the one you posted gave me an undeliverable address. Thanks, Phil

I love internet for the ability to access tons of information... unfortunately, NOT everything you find on the internet is true!
Unfortunately, a lot of it is bulls$h53%t.

Steel is not better than brass, brass is not better than steel, neither is better than aluminium, tungsten, titanium, cobalt, or any other material someone dreams of using.
They are all different. They all sound different. They all have their place depending on the application It's that simple...

Just sayin'...

I love internet for the ability to access tons of information... unfortunately, NOT everything you find on the internet is true!
Unfortunately, a lot of it is bulls$h53%t.

Steel is not better than brass, brass is not better than steel, neither is better than aluminium, tungsten, titanium, cobalt, or any other material someone dreams of using.
They are all different. They all sound different. They all have their place depending on the application It's that simple...

Just sayin'...

The Mann has spoken.

Interesting idea, but I wonder about the ROI. If you change from brass to tungsten, you will more than double the mass of the tremolo block. Tungsten is many times more expensive than brass in material cost, and very difficult to machine. I'm very curious about the cost of such a project.

But what is the goal? That block can't be a very high percentage of the mass of the body overall. I don't remember what the tremolo cavity is like, but would it be easier to experiment with the effects of mass by simply wrapping the existing bridge in a layer of lead and do some before and after tests for the impacts on sustain and low end?

If the theory is that there is somehow a difference in the energy transfer through tungsten relative to brass, I'd be interested in the science behind that, too.

Back