Tuners compatible with 2006 core singlecut?

mildew

I want to upgrade the tuning heads on my 2006 core singlecut. I would like to get tuners that are high ratio, locking, and are drop in replacements - no new screwholes or routing out the post holes. No prs tuners, they are all too low ratio.

What tuners are compatible?

I hate to be the fly in your ointment, but I`m curious as to why. I`ve never had a problem with a properly setup USA PRS with stock tuners, and a properly cut nut. I hear very well, which is how I got started on PRS in the first place. Having said that, I have Hipshot open back locking tuners on 5 SE`S. I believe they`re 18 to 1.

Im a raving PRS fanboy, but i really dont like PRS tuners. My DC has phase 3's, my CU22 has phase 2's, my SC has traditional style, and they all suck compared to the Schecter locking tuners i had on a Hellraiser that was sold to fund PRS's. As far as i know SE tuner replacements dont fit core models.

I need tuning heads that are Kluson press collar compatible, high ratio, and locking. Kluson Revolutions are close, but the press collar ones only come in non locking.

Can anybody suggest tuning heads for me?

Last edited:
Gotoh SD-90s may fit. They were a drop-in replacement for my Bernie.

However, I'd suggest you doublecheck the measurements as the SEs are metric - not sure if the Cores have imperial sized holes.

Edit: should add that gotoh has detailed measurements on their site making it easier to compare to your current tuners.

Im a raving PRS fanboy, but i really dont like PRS tuners. My DC has phase 3's, my CU22 has phase 2's, my SC has traditional style, and they all suck compared to the Schecter locking tuners i had on a Hellraiser that was sold to fund PRS's. As far as i know SE tuner replacements dont fit core models.

I need tuning heads that are Kluson press collar compatible, high ratio, and locking. Kluson Revolutions are close, but the press collar ones only come in non locking.

Could i buy the screw fit Revolutions, discard the screw fit collars and simply use the existing press fit collars that are in the guitar?

Hipshot makes more than one diameter, but they`re not press fit adaptable. They are American made, and solid as a rock.

Turns out i was confusing the collar with the bushing. Ive ordered some Kluson Revolution no collars, and hopefully i can use them with the guitars existing press fit bushings.

Success! - Kluson Revolution locking no collars did fit the existing headstock perfectly, and have way less slop than the stock singlecut tuners. I left the existing bushings in and just pushed the new posts through them so i cant confirm if the bushings are the same external size.

Just an update after a few weeks of the new tuners - guitar is way easier to get perfectly in tune, stays in tune far better, and the tone has improved. Theres this whole new layer of resonance now. Guitar is playing and sounding the best it ever has:)

Bumping old post.
I love my 2001 PRS Singlecut but hate hobmuch longer it takes to change strings on my SC compared to my SC250 with locking tuners. It's about convenience and what I prefer. Should I just email PRS to find out which model locking tuners they recommend or maybe by aftermarket?
It sounds like Kluson Revolution locking are a good choice!
I use aftermarket Klusons on my LP and want locking tuners for my LP too.
Thanks.

Back