Tuner question

Bowtiefanatc

Confirmed Bird Snob
I was wondering if anyone has successfully converted from the Vintage Klusen style tuners to Phase III tuners? I looked on the FAQ's and saw that you can't do Vintage to Phase II, but that was written a while back and was wondering if this conversion might be possible.

Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

I put a set of Phase III's on my Bernie, which came with the Vintage K style. I did have to expand the post holes a little bit. It was pretty painless though. I can't remember if I had to drill new mounting holes though. I looked close before posting this and it looks like I may have used the existing holes.

20150824_133250_zps5acpghbq.jpg

Very nice! Looks pretty painless. The SC245 that's coming next week has upgraded Tone Pro tuners. I'm just not sure if I will dig the vintage tuners so I wanted to have another option.

I know the FAQ mentioned that the string break wouldn't be correct. Any tuning issues after the swap over to the P3's?

I did the same with the tuners on a Zach Myers. Had to drill the post holes ever so slightly bigger, and the mounting screws didn't line up 100% perfectly but still screwed into the original holes. It was close enough that if I would have tried to drill new mounting holes I would have just ended up with a larger oval shaped hole which wouldn't have grabbed the screw threads. Hope this helps.

Very nice! Looks pretty painless. The SC245 that's coming next week has upgraded Tone Pro tuners. I'm just not sure if I will dig the vintage tuners so I wanted to have another option.

I know the FAQ mentioned that the string break wouldn't be correct. Any tuning issues after the swap over to the P3's?
None whatsoever. Couldn't be happier. I'll add that there was nothing wrong with the Vintage K style. I'm just lazy when it comes to changing strings, stretching them, etc. I put locking tuners on any guitar I acquire.

None whatsoever. Couldn't be happier. I'll add that there was nothing wrong with the Vintage K style. I'm just lazy when it comes to changing strings, stretching them, etc. I put locking tuners on any guitar I acquire.

I agree, I much prefer locking tuners. At least I know that I can make the switch should the opportunity arise

Back