Tuner question for those in the know.

Huggy Love

Vintage member
I'm going to be doing some maintenance and mods to my HB sometime in the future and I want to tackle an issue that I've been putting off due to lack of knowledge of options. I'd like to upgrade to locking tuners. It's a year 2000 HB McCarty with standard non locking tuners and ebony pegs, and all I know is there's an issue with using my ebony pegs on a newer locking tuner.

Forgive me for not being phase literate on this subject but what are good options that will have ebony pegs?, or (even better) a locking tuner that will accept my ebony pegs?, or if there's an semi-easy mod to make my pegs fit the latest locking PRS tuners?.

Any experts on this subject?

Since I don’t have USA Phase IIs, I don’t know if Phase I buttons would work with them but I’m pretty sure they don’t work with Phase IIIs. The RH Vela has the Phase II imports, so I might try the retro swap. Maybe I can check on that tomorrow...

Hit us with a pic of the tuners? I forget what came on those.
SGxbf3d.jpg

PJOn0Hk.jpg

Oh... get some Phase II’s and you’re set.

That's just the problem, phase II's aren't available with ebony, the pegs I have won't fit, and the other sources that make pegs stopped making them for phase II.

Any other options or ideas?

Your Ph. II lockers were made by Schaller, make sure you find the correct one, not the one made by Gotoh because they aren’t interchangeable. See my attached picture for more information.

For the ebony buttons, why not just replace the new buttons with the old ones?

COFSr9N.jpg

I put Phase ll tuners on mine eons ago and they do have ebony knobs. Pretty sure they came that way from PRS because I don't have any chrome knobs in my stash box. Sorry I can't be much more help but the Phase ll's work great!
U8kA45f.jpg

Your Ph. II lockers were made by Schaller, make sure you find the correct one, not the one made by Gotoh because they aren’t interchangeable. See my attached picture for more information.

For the ebony buttons, why not just replace the new buttons with the old ones?

COFSr9N.jpg

THX for the pic details, the pegs don't fit due to shaft hole diameter. Boring the ones I have to fit phase II's or III's would be too challenging without a precision drill press.

Back