tube mount question

jbloggs

On the PRS US assembled amps,

are the tubes mounted to the chassis or through a hole in the chassis and then onto the PCB?

ie are the tube bases attached to the chassis or to the PCB?

Can you see the bases in order to correctly align the valve pins when inserting a tube?

THANKS

I can speak to the HX/DA amp, since I have one, but I believe that the other USA amps are made this way, too:

On US amps, there are no PCBs -the amps are hand-wired to an eyelet board with premium parts. All of the tube sockets are chassis mounted. The chassis are aluminum. Here's a gut shot of the amp (I found this elsewhere); you can see the hand wiring of parts, the flying leads to the controls, etc. The tube socket mounts are at the bottom of the chassis as you look at the picture, and as you can see, the sockets are attached to the chassis and are well away from the other parts, which should add to the longevity.

This is a great way to build an amp, and IMHO a hand wired amp made like this has a certain clarity of tone that is quite wonderful. It's a first-class boutique amp, the real deal in every way. Of course, the controls are also chassis mounted. No corners were cut, anywhere.

I think the short flying leads have something to do with the tone of the amp as well, as opposed to creating longer leads and twisting them, just to make things appear tidier.

I realize that PCB amps can also be great - I do like Mesas, for example - but they sound a little different, too.

There's probably no categorically right or wrong way to make an amp if it sounds good, but you can hear the quality in this amp.

I've had a number of more expensive hand wired boutique amps, like Two-Rock and Roccaforte, as well as high quality PCB amps like Bogners and Mesas. And of course, I've owned vintage hand wired amps in the days when they weren't vintage! I really believe that the PRS amps are at least the equal of anything out there, and for my purposes, they're the best I've had. I feel very lucky to own one, and business permitting, I'd like to add a second one to the studio next year.

Last edited:
tube mount question-THANKS

LSchefman;

Thanks for the informative reply, and especially for the image.

Its a shame that manufacturers dont provide gut-shots of their amps so that such questions are unneccessary.

LSchefman;

Thanks for the informative reply, and especially for the image.

Its a shame that manufacturers dont provide gut-shots of their amps so that such questions are unneccessary.

Actually, PRS does show the guts in this video on the PRS website:

http://www.prsguitars.com/detail/amps.html

Of all the manufacturers out there, I think PRS really are proud of their workmanship inside and out! And there's a nice explanation of it with both Paul and Doug Sewell, who designs the amps.

Yeah PRS is a different kind of company; GOOD different! ;)

Did I mention how freaking great the amps sound??!!??

Last edited:
thanks for the link - the videos do show the construction of the chassis with chassis mounted tube bases.

I just had never visited that part of the PRS site.

Maybe a link on the individual amp pages would be a good idea?

Thanks again.

Am I wrong in saying this gut shot is kinda turning me on?
It's like the amp is nude without the outer casing!

I can speak to the HX/DA amp, since I have one, but I believe that the other USA amps are made this way, too:

On US amps, there are no PCBs -the amps are hand-wired to an eyelet board with premium parts. All of the tube sockets are chassis mounted. The chassis are aluminum. Here's a gut shot of the amp (I found this elsewhere); you can see the hand wiring of parts, the flying leads to the controls, etc. The tube socket mounts are at the bottom of the chassis as you look at the picture, and as you can see, the sockets are attached to the chassis and are well away from the other parts, which should add to the longevity.

This is a great way to build an amp, and IMHO a hand wired amp made like this has a certain clarity of tone that is quite wonderful. It's a first-class boutique amp, the real deal in every way. Of course, the controls are also chassis mounted. No corners were cut, anywhere.

I think the short flying leads have something to do with the tone of the amp as well, as opposed to creating longer leads and twisting them, just to make things appear tidier.

I realize that PCB amps can also be great - I do like Mesas, for example - but they sound a little different, too.

There's probably no categorically right or wrong way to make an amp if it sounds good, but you can hear the quality in this amp.

I've had a number of more expensive hand wired boutique amps, like Two-Rock and Roccaforte, as well as high quality PCB amps like Bogners and Mesas. And of course, I've owned vintage hand wired amps in the days when they weren't vintage! I really believe that the PRS amps are at least the equal of anything out there, and for my purposes, they're the best I've had. I feel very lucky to own one, and business permitting, I'd like to add a second one to the studio next year.

Back