Tube amps...why?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by Boogie, Jul 6, 2019.

1. pac90

pac90 In Helix Land, the waters warm

2. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Open-Ears / Zippered Lips

Thx. Not hungry, just making sure what's in/on my head is real (IMHO, of course).

Enjoy your day, Les!

FTR, as we age, it's usually the ears, hair, eyesight, and teeth that fail first. Happy to say, most of mine is still there...:)

3. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules On Double Secret Probation

Not to post about the actual thread title, but I thought as we aged it was TUBES that wore out and since they are replaceable we would last forever. (I think one of my knees needs to be retubed).

Alnus Rubra, veinbuster and dmatthews like this.
  4. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Open-Ears / Zippered Lips

Like all things that receive use, parts and pieces eventually fail without maintenance. Tubes you really can't "maintain" other than not use them extensively. People parts we need to exercise (read: maintain, just as you mentioned) in order to help keep them strong and flexible.

(Sorry to hear about your knee. Although I don't run myself, I usually choose low-impact exercises that burn fewer calories, but still tone and strengthen...)

You'll note that I'll likely eat lunch today and enjoy watching some folks run around chasing a ball or something today. What should happen is me spending some time walking and strengthening what's there, not letting it fail...

Or, spend practice time with my amp so it sounds sweeter with time, as amps should...:)

5. DickBanks

DickBanks New Member

Of course the tube amp sound is the best. If you like the convenience of modelers, like I do, great, but the sound you are still going for is the tube sound. A great modeler sounds "just like the real thing." The real thing being, a tube amp.

Nobody plugs into a tube amp and says, 'if I keep twisting the knobs, eventually I'll get that solid-state sound I'm after."

But I wonder if it's a "chicken and egg" thing.

Like, we've heard so much music played though tube amps, it's what we assign as "good?"

So the phenomena just feeds upon itself.

But If I can get the tube sound from an electric toothbrush, then that's what I'm plugging into.