Tube amps...why?

The only things that bug me are when people assert things like “cannot hear the difference.” I’m sitting there with a lousy iPad listening to a tiny pair of ‘speakers’ and I can hear the difference when someone is asserting that I can’t? That it sounds the same, but maybe a different set of tubes? Come on, that’s a sales pitch.

This is the crux of the discussion - "can/cannot hear the difference". Some people can hear the difference w/modelers, some of us can't (assuming a high enough quality modeler here). I have no doubt Les can hear the difference, and I'm sure it would drive him crazy if we sat down and he played a comparison track back to back where the difference was clear to him if I couldn't hear it. And I'm sure it would get frustrating for me if he kept playing it back and saying, "I can't believe you can't hear this". It's hard to get that other person's perspective. And while Les is right that it's a sales pitch, it might also be true that the manufacturer can't hear a difference. It might even show up the same on a spectrum analyzer, but even if it does, if you can hear the difference, it's not the same.

A few years ago, I recorded what was basically a rhythm track just as an experiment for myself. I wanted to see if I could record with a software model and get a track that was as acceptable to me as an amp and a mic. And it was - as a listener, I thought the sound was pretty damn good. As an 'artist', I was very happy with the results. As a 'musician', playing the track was nowhere near as satisfying as an amp/cab. It just wasn't. There's a tactile thing there that the model just didn't deliver.

In the end, it's all what makes you happy.

One other thing’s out there that i also disagree with: the idea that technological change is necessarily an improvement.

Change can be better, but it is not necessarily better. And sometimes, 'better' only applies to the the people making the change, not the people affected by it. As a tech professional, I've seen too many people in my profession who think that making their life easier is better, even if it makes the lives of the people we serve worse (professional lives, I should clarify). A few years ago, I wrote a spec for a project. As part of it, there was an item list that was to be filtered based on some criteria the user had picked. When the guy coded it and asked me to review, I clicked on that list, and it showed everything - no filtering. I said it was supposed to be filtered based on this criteria. He said, "This was easier." I said, "For you. It's not easier for the users, and they have to use the system, not us. This isn't about easier for us."

Every time some company changes a system and the change doesn't work as well for us, my wife loves to say, "Just remember - this is better, this is better, this is better..."

There's a tactile thing there that the model just didn't deliver.

Alan, I enjoyed your post quite a lot. The above is an issue for me, too (but then I have so many issues! ;)). A tube amp feels more “elastic” to me. That’s the only word I can think of that describes it, a give or a push-pull thing.

I agree with the rest of your post as well.

What about strips? I hardly eat wings anymore. Too greasy, and I like white meat. I get chicken breast strips instead. Can I get a ruling on that?

I don't think that your choice of meal makes any difference; we should not judge a person of when or what he eats...except that it might be wise to consider one's health regards your choice. IOW, the Grilled Chicken Salad and lemon water instead of the chicken strips...?

Just the same, my feeling is that a good meal is only as good as its finish...and a couple home-baked cookies seems to satisfy...I just avoid "blinking too quickly" (I might miss something) or being too discouraged...there's nothing like doing your job "with your pants on" and not speaking too much to make my point. Don't need to write a lengthy report that is only "word salad." You'll understand soon.

RnSHnR1.gif

Back