Tube amp hum - do PRS amps exhibit this?

JPHoush

For those who are PRS tube amp owners, does your amp exhibit a notable hum when powered on with standby on and no guitar playing? I am referring to a noticeable sound from tbe amp whether a hum or a hissing sound. If you can respond, please note whether your amp is a head or combo. Just trying to ascertain how common this is among manufacturers.

My own amps have been the DG30 and the HXDA, and they are among the very quietest amps I have ever owned, on the same level as my old Two-Rocks.

Dead silent, even with the Master cranked and the gain up to normal levels.

I can't speak to the two channel amps PRS offers as I haven't owned one, but the single channel amps are amazing. I am like you in that amplifier noise is a concern, as a note coming out of silence always sounds better than one coming out of hum and noise.

Compared to my Mesa Mark V, that made the usual amp noises even though it was a very nicely put together amp, the difference is startling.

I have an SE50 and a 2 channel H. They have the same circuits but the SE50 is PCB and the H is hand wired and they have different power tubes.

My SE50 is dead quiet. The "H" has a slight hum like you mention. If I change it's location in the room it quiets down so I think it is EMI in the room but the SE50 is immune to it.

Thanks for the input folks. Trying to understand the static hum I am getting out of a brand new Mesa Express. Sounds like I am standing under live power lines somewhere.

Thanks for the input folks. Trying to understand the static hum I am getting out of a brand new Mesa Express. Sounds like I am standing under live power lines somewhere.

Mesas are wonderful amps. But they can be noisy in the way that lots of vintage amps are (and heck, they were noisy even when they were new back in the day). Honestly, I don't think it's all that bad in most cases, and they do have a unique range of sounds on tap.

OTOH, I'm blown away by how quiet some modern amps are at idle, PRS among them.

I experience a slight background hum with my PRS Archon head. It doesn't get louder when I turn up the gain or volume, it is just a constant slight background hum. I have a Mesa Dual and a Mesa Mini and they just have a slight hiss when I turn the gain up, but that's normal.

If I were you, I'd call Mike Bendinelli at M/B (or just customer service) and ask about it. They are just at good at personalized customer service as PRS.

Tube amp hum

The hum is a product of un-shielded AC tube heater power. Twisted and properly routed wiring will greatly reduce the hum, but as said earlier, the old Marshalls and Fenders had a very vocal hum without a guitar plugged in.

One of the nice features of the Standby switch.

Mike

Back