TS or TRS Cable?

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Was wondering if my A60E SE Angelus requires a TS instrument cable, or could handle a TRS cable? (My former Taylor required a TRS, so I'm wondering if the PRS acoustic line can also handle TRS cables.)

In a 1/4” connector, you can usually use a TRS cable in place of a TS. If the circuit isn’t balanced, using all three conductors, the cable will simply act as an unbalanced connection. So, nothing hurt, but nothing gained.

I don’t think the Sonotone series like the GT1 was balanced, but couldn’t find anything that said either way. The older Taylor systems were balanced, but the newer ES2 uses a regular 1/4” TS cable, and Taylor suggests a direct box be used if long, balanced runs are needed.

A good quality TS cable will do it if you have one.

In a 1/4” connector, you can usually use a TRS cable in place of a TS. If the circuit isn’t balanced, using all three conductors, the cable will simply act as an unbalanced connection. So, nothing hurt, but nothing gained.

I don’t think the Sonotone series like the GT1 was balanced, but couldn’t find anything that said either way. The older Taylor systems were balanced, but the newer ES2 uses a regular 1/4” TS cable, and Taylor suggests a direct box be used if long, balanced runs are needed.

A good quality TS cable will do it if you have one.

Thanks, Rick.

I'd purchased a right-angle to straight ¼" TRS cable for the Taylor, since their old factory-supplied cable was balanced TRS>XLR. That cable crapped the pan eventually, and a replacement was needed.

If only a ¼" TS>TS cable is required for the PRS SE, the TRS cable can be donated to a friend who practices regularly with his P&W Zoom group.

Thanks for the info, and time to recycle some outdated/less-used materials.

Back