Trying Hard to Like the HDRX20

You don't like the Hall of Fame II?

A lot of greay guitarists use it.

Robben Ford for one.

I get it. It's an opinion thing. I just didn't like it. It was just so... I don't know... sterile and digital sounding, I guess. For me. I just thought it was funny that you said the amp needs a good pedalboard and then the reverb in question was one I had and really didn't like. It would be pretty funny if your chorus of choice was the Earthquaker Sea Machine because I really really really hated that one. :D

It wouldn't be fair to poo poo someone's reverb without throwing out there the overpriced crap reverbs I use other than amp spring reverb (which is what I usually use):

Gigging board:
Walrus Slo (for textures, the gigging amp has spring reverb)

Writing board:
Source Collider

Home Studio:
Deluxe Amplification 6g15 with tremolo

For the Moog:
Wampler Ethereal

Other ones laying around:
Red Panda Context
Surfybear Compact
BYOC Spring Reverb
EQD Dispatch Master
Keeley Hydra

I might actually have a reverb problem.

It quite put me off the idea of trying subsequent iterations too: I felt the original HOF had a particular voice in my rig - one that I couldn't work with happily; and given that I used to use a pair of M5000s (!) back in the day,
I had an M5000, too. The reverbs and delays were fantastic, crystal clear, though I used mine in the studio instead of in a guitar rack. It was one of my favorite, go-to pieces of gear. I should NEVER have sold it.

TC made some wonderful, high end gear back in the day.

I get it. It's an opinion thing. I just didn't like it. It was just so... I don't know... sterile and digital sounding, I guess. For me. I just thought it was funny that you said the amp needs a good pedalboard and then the reverb in question was one I had and really didn't like.

Personal taste being what it is, and the number of choices out there in guitar-land being so numerous, it's kind of unusual that any consensus can be reached regarding what sounds good and what doesn't!

The fact that all of us like PRS Guitars is a testament to their versatility!

I have had a love hate relationship with mine, but finally getting the tone I want out of it at bedroom levels. I use a captor X on middle setting and the following settings on the amp and a bias of a little over 28. This is set up with my Gibson Les Paul with Slash Buckers. Effects I run into right now are Keeley compressor, MOSTLY off, Origin DCX Boost, MXR Timmy, DM - 2w, Halo Delay with my own custom setting, RV-6. Sounds killer now but that may change next week. and yes, I need to dust it. :p
356589466_1427635104474750_2896311244745347510_n.jpg

I have had a love hate relationship with mine, but finally getting the tone I want out of it at bedroom levels. I use a captor X on middle setting and the following settings on the amp and a bias of a little over 28. This is set up with my Gibson Les Paul with Slash Buckers. Effects I run into right now are Keeley compressor, MOSTLY off, Origin DCX Boost, MXR Timmy, DM - 2w, Halo Delay with my own custom setting, RV-6. Sounds killer now but that may change next week. and yes, I need to dust it. :p
356589466_1427635104474750_2896311244745347510_n.jpg
I have only a love thing going for mine. No hate.

But this an amp that loves pedals and pedals love it.

Gotta have a nice pedal board to get the most out of it.

Especially at bedroom levels...which are about as loud as you can play in most clubs these days.

If you're lucky.

I have only a love thing going for mine. No hate.

But this an amp that loves pedals and pedals love it.

Gotta have a nice pedal board to get the most out of it.

Especially at bedroom levels...which are about as loud as you can play in most clubs these days.

If you're lucky.

I think most of my problem was running the amp too hot at bias of 30...with my current settings, 28 is perfect....it wasn't gelling too well at 30. All factors matter though. Pickups, Bias, settings on amp, speakers, effects. playing style....just like any other amp. When this thing is set up how a person likes it, it is as good or better than any higher priced amp.

Disclaimer:
I have not yet played through one of these amplifiers.
I therefore no valid opinion on its performance.
That being said,

I seem to be noticing a lot of disappointment in this amplifier
by a number of people both inside and outside of this forum.

I understand that Paul's name is on it and that leads to certain expectations.

but...

It is an amplifier that is manufactured somewhere
in southeast Asia to meet a certain price point.

That means compromises had to be made.

I don't know what people expected from this amplifier (Yes you do Tony.)
but in reality, it is another made in (insert SE Asian country here) amplifier,
no more, no less, and anyone expecting it to be the be all end all holy grail
of low wattage amplifiers will more than likely not be enthralled with it.

I think most of my problem was running the amp too hot at bias of 30...with my current settings, 28 is perfect....it wasn't gelling too well at 30. All factors matter though. Pickups, Bias, settings on amp, speakers, effects. playing style....just like any other amp. When this thing is set up how a person likes it, it is as good or better than any higher priced amp.
The HDRX is a great amp, loved by those who know how to use it.

Those who don't know how to use it?

Well...YMMV.

I've never had a problem with mine. Sounded killer right out of box.

Disclaimer:
I have not yet played through one of these amplifiers.
I therefore no valid opinion on its performance.
That being said,

I seem to be noticing a lot of disappointment in this amplifier
by a number of people both inside and outside of this forum.

I understand that Paul's name is on it and that leads to certain expectations.

but...

It is an amplifier that is manufactured somewhere
in southeast Asia to meet a certain price point.

That means compromises had to be made.
it
I don't know what people expected from this amplifier (Yes you do Tony.)
but in reality, it is another made in (insert SE Asian country here) amplifier,
no more, no less, and anyone expecting it to be the be all end all holy grail
of low wattage amplifiers will more than likely not be enthralled with it.
I wasn't expecting the holy grail, just a nice amp for my bedroom studio outside of my extremely loud Marshalls. Like I said, once I got the right settings, it's killer for an amp costing $1200 with cab.

...The fact that all of us like PRS Guitars is a testament to their versatility!

...or a testament of the fact that we are all members of a PRS owned and run guitar forum.
:D

Yes, they are very versatile and I like them a lot.

I take one PRS guitar with me and play the entire job, start to finish on that one guitar.
I also do that with an ES 335/345/355, an SG or an EBMM Y2D. Guitars are versatile.

I think a lot of us own non PRS guitars as well.
...and we like them a lot too.

...or a testament of the fact that we are all members of a PRS owned and run guitar forum.
:D

Yes, they are very versatile and I like them a lot.

I take one PRS guitar with me and play the entire job, start to finish on that one guitar.
I also do that with an ES 335/345/355, an SG or an EBMM Y2D. Guitars are versatile.

I think a lot of us own non PRS guitars as well.
...and we like them a lot too.
There is nothing wrong with owning many brands. I have PRS...nice instruments...but I prefer my Gibson's overall..... I never understood one brand loyalists. Whatever floats ya boats ..

Add a loop with a high end switching system, short quality cables. Others have had modifications done, to integrate newer technology loops (parallel for older pedals/processors, series/parallel for a mix, & series/buffered high end true bypass & 24-32 bit stuff). This is a retro amp that is intended to be a "period piece", recreating older technology, which comes with the limits of that technology.

Add a loop with a high end switching system, short quality cables. Others have had modifications done, to integrate newer technology loops (parallel for older pedals/processors, series/parallel for a mix, & series/buffered high end true bypass & 24-32 bit stuff). This is a retro amp that is intended to be a "period piece", recreating older technology, which comes with the limits of that technology.
That ain't EVER gonna happen. Not to my amp.

Nor to this one, this one, this one or this one:

Last edited:
Or just buy a different amp.

Not one based on a 60's Marshall.

The HDRX does what it does beautifully.
Right.

OR, you could do a two amp, wet-dry set-up and run reverb/FX into amp #2. Somewhat tedious, but you can get some great tones this way that are otherwise unavailable. I did a Marshall/Tweed variation of this type of setup years ago and it sounded fantastic.

Back