Trying Hard to Like the HDRX20

So, that would explain why you prefer to use pedals. And it's nice to know the amp works well this way! I think though, that his point is that the true purpose/best tones of the amp, is with the master up, and that wouldn't necessarily require boost or OD pedals to get the fullness of tone (not that you couldn't still use them).

Several others have said that it really comes into its best tone with the master at 2 o'clock or better, so 7-ish on the 1-10 scale. That would make sense with this design of amp.

Again, I'm not disputing anything you're saying, and agree that it's great it works that way as well. If I get one, I'm prepared that I'll want to jack the master up more and run it through the power station... which also provides a usable loop solution for mod/time based effects.
What you're outlining here makes sense to me, too, and I don't run my amps with a lot of distortion, just "edge of breakup". But regardless of brand and model over the years, I've always recorded my amps with the master turned pretty far up. They do more of what I'm looking for sonically.

Overdriven preamp tubes reach a point where they compress too much for my taste, and some of them can sound fizzy; in that case, I'd use a pedal if I wanted very low volume.

The power station idea is a great solution for the reasons you state.

I guarantee you that if you showed up at any of the clubs I play or sit in at, and turned the HDRX up to 7, you'd get thrown out.

Either by your band mates or the club owner.

That would be louder than any gig I've played in the last 30 years.
Since I do have a DR and the HDRX 20, I kinda wanna find this out.
My DR starts to break up at 4ish with humbuckers. Its pretty loud by then.

I guarantee you that if you showed up at any of the clubs I play or sit in at, and turned the HDRX up to 7, you'd get thrown out.

Either by your band mates or the club owner.

That would be louder than any gig I've played in the last 30 years.
I'm not disputing this. I'm just saying that the way plexi type amps are designed, they don't "do their thing" until they are turned way up. Noting, the 50 and 100 don't have master volumes and that has been the #1 complaint is that they do sound great, but only when VERY loud, and that requires an attenuator/re-amp type solution to be usable for many people.

The tone we all associate with the best of the plexi amps, is the PI stage being pushed into overdrive, and the power stage being pushed into compression. With a non-high gain front end, and no master volume, that doesn't happen until the amp is opened up. A lot! The addition of a master on the HDRX20 is a great addition! It allows you to get "some" of that tone, but at lower volumes. But realistically, not at low and maybe even "reasonable" volumes. So it helps, but an attenuator/re-amp device is still needed UNLESS you choose to use it more as a pedal platform.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the amp as a pedal platform, and I'm sure many will! But the "plexi magic" comes from an overdriven PI stage and pushed to compression power stage. If I get one, I'll definitely try it with pedals. But the Power Station is ready to tame the volume of that pushed back end that I'd be going for. And honestly (again, for me) if that isn't magic, I'd be surprised if I keep the amp because I have amps whose clean channels work great as pedal platforms. If I can't get that pushed plexi magic with the Power Station, it "probably" won't stick for long. But again, at it's price, it's great if it works for you no matter how you choose to use it, and it's great that it can be used more ways than one. That's the big knock on the 20 watt Marshall plexi. Sounds GREAT, but only at crazy loud volumes. And with no master it also requires attenuation/re-amp, or pedals and most people feel it doesn't sound nearly as good with pedals as it does cranked.

Since I do have a DR and the HDRX 20, I kinda wanna find this out.
My DR starts to break up at 4ish with humbuckers. Its pretty loud by then.
Yep. Mine too.

There's no way I could get away with playing at Volume 7 on my Deluxe Reverb or my HDRX 20 in the venues these days.

I can play louder at home than I can onstage!

But i wouldn't want a smaller amp than the Deluxe Reverb or HDRX. 20 watts or so seems about perfect.

Last edited:
I'm not disputing this. I'm just saying that the way plexi type amps are designed, they don't "do their thing" until they are turned way up. Noting, the 50 and 100 don't have master volumes and that has been the #1 complaint is that they do sound great, but only when VERY loud, and that requires an attenuator/re-amp type solution to be usable for many people.

The tone we all associate with the best of the plexi amps, is the PI stage being pushed into overdrive, and the power stage being pushed into compression. With a non-high gain front end, and no master volume, that doesn't happen until the amp is opened up. A lot! The addition of a master on the HDRX20 is a great addition! It allows you to get "some" of that tone, but at lower volumes. But realistically, not at low and maybe even "reasonable" volumes. So it helps, but an attenuator/re-amp device is still needed UNLESS you choose to use it more as a pedal platform.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the amp as a pedal platform, and I'm sure many will! But the "plexi magic" comes from an overdriven PI stage and pushed to compression power stage. If I get one, I'll definitely try it with pedals. But the Power Station is ready to tame the volume of that pushed back end that I'd be going for. And honestly (again, for me) if that isn't magic, I'd be surprised if I keep the amp because I have amps whose clean channels work great as pedal platforms. If I can't get that pushed plexi magic with the Power Station, it "probably" won't stick for long. But again, at it's price, it's great if it works for you no matter how you choose to use it, and it's great that it can be used more ways than one. That's the big knock on the 20 watt Marshall plexi. Sounds GREAT, but only at crazy loud volumes. And with no master it also requires attenuation/re-amp, or pedals and most people feel it doesn't sound nearly as good with pedals as it does cranked.
Well that's why God created overdrive pedals.

Last edited:
I have my HDRX into a Torpedo Captor X.

Master usually on 6. I may try it full up and mess with the channel volumes more.

Aiming for Jimmy Page 1973
Even with good pots, the values vary more than any other component. Only saying that because most people report that from all the way up, down to about 7 is the best tone, and below that the tone is affected by the master. But, simple variance in value of the pot alone could make your sweet spot go down to 6 or so.

Bonus: If not, you might get even better tone by turning it up just a bit more.

I find my PRS HDRX-20 takes pedals well imo. I base that on using pedals in front on both a Marshall 1959SLP and 1987x. Comparing pedals up front vs in a loop is apples and oranges. I am using a cheap Caline Pure-Sky OD, followed by a 70's DS-1 for everything from mild to wild OD & Distortion sounds. I boost either with an old BBE Sonic-Stomp for soloing. For effects I'm using a Memory-Boy, Electric Mistress, and Boss RE-202. I also use the Bugera power soak attenuator {which is Soldano designed BTW }. that indeed does force you to do a balancing act between it and the amp controls lol, so I'm feelin ya there. Also, because of the pot tapers, it's much easier to dial in great tone at higher volumes. It's the same on any Plexi as these type of amp designs become harmonically rich when they approach saturation. When you get the levels just to the edge of breakup, you can play clean or crunchy by varying your pick attack and the response is to die for. Probably why blues players love them so much. I'm looking to get the PRS MT-15 next. It does have a loop and half power switch and by all accounts it also does a good clean in addition to gains well beyond the HDRX-20. Either amp goes well past 20watts imho. For sure louder than a Deluxe Reverb. Both sport my favorite of all time 5881 tubes as well. Enjoy.!!
I played through both the HDRX-20 and the MT-15 today. I was very impressed with the MT-15. Very rare to find a tube amp under 1k with both a great clean and distortion channel. Very easy to dial in a great sound.
The HDRX-20 took more effort to dial in but has some great tones as well. Does a very good rendition of “women tone”. It is a bit of a one-trick pony compared to the MT-15, which I would definitely consider if I was shopping for another amp.

I played through both the HDRX-20 and the MT-15 today. I was very impressed with the MT-15. Very rare to find a tube amp under 1k with both a great clean and distortion channel. Very easy to dial in a great sound.
The HDRX-20 took more effort to dial in but has some great tones as well. Does a very good rendition of “women tone”. It is a bit of a one-trick pony compared to the MT-15, which I would definitely consider if I was shopping for another amp.
No question it is not comparable. It is it’s own thing. But it’s a classic thing.

And for the lucky people like Les and Rick that have HX/DA’s well, we’re just hoping to get a close proximity of that greatness.
If you can find one, just buy it. Don't screw around.

You won't regret it.

I bought mine new in 2014, and back then paid $3400 for it. Haven't regretted it for one nanosecond.

Best $3400 I've ever spent on a piece of guitar gear. I've seen a few used for under two grand. It's going to sound just as good as the one I have for less money with a fresh set of NOS tubes.

Rick posted some gut shots of the amp in this thread; check out how these things were made! Like tanks! You will never, ever find a better-sounding, better-made amp of this style.

If you can find one, just buy it. Don't screw around.

You won't regret it.

I bought mine new in 2014, and back then paid $3400 for it. Haven't regretted it for one nanosecond.

Best $3400 I've ever spent on a piece of guitar gear. I've seen a few used for under two grand. It's going to sound just as good as the one I have for less money with a fresh set of NOS tubes.

Rick posted some gut shots of the amp in this thread; check out how these things were made! Like tanks! You will never, ever find a better-sounding, better-made amp of this style.

Best $400 I've spent in many years was the day I won the auction for this HDRX 20:

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to gig mine yet, but the thing I'm planning is to use a pedal to, shall we say, "underdrive" the HDRX 20. I'll set the master volume up for my lead sound, then use a pedal to cut the volume down for rhythm work but still keep some dirt. The "roll back the volume" thing doesn't work for me, volume wise. Tonally, yes, absolutely, but I need a solo boost. The pedal I'm thinking will do the job is my Wampler Pantheon, some OD's sound lo-fi and pedal-ish if they aren't pushing an amp a little, but the Pantheon has a nice, wide, amp-like sound, even when cutting down the volume. Probably will also have a front end boost option for pushing the saturation up a notch on those solos, but that's easier to do with a wider range of pedals. Horsemeat, Friedman Buxom Boost, Fender MTG, Wampler Tumnus are all things I have on hand that would work well for that.

It's a technique I've not tried, but I think it could be cool, in an old school way. Also have considered getting a Tone King Ironman II, which I would use very much for its load box function, but also could use the footswitchable attenuation levels for a solo boost. I was totally against it before I had the HDRX 20, but now... might be worth it. Just depends on what volumes I end up playing at. It's one heck of a loud amp, but I might be able to get it cooking enough going light on speakers with a 1x12 cab. It loves my open back 1x12 with an Alnico Cream.

Back