TrueFire Sale - Tons of Good Stuff - $99 for an annual sub?! YES PLEASE!

jfb

Plank Owner
TrueFire is running a bunch of sales. One of the sales will get you an annual subscription for $99. Pretty sweet deal. I picked it up and am looking forward to getting through some of these courses. The samples I have seen are very well done and include lots of big names, David Grissom, Robben Ford, Oz Noy, etc. The site is also very well done and easy to navigate. I am impressed.

You can sign up solo or through a referral if you want to be my bro-hammer. Either way you get $10 credit. Hurry kids, the sale doesn't last much longer!

www.truefire.com

https://truefire.com/ignite/?code=jessefbaker

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been taking lessons from True Fire for the past 4 years and can recommend their material. The quality of the lessons is excellent, especially if you are past the beginner stage. While there are plenty of "big names" giving lessons, don't overlook the lessons from some of the lesser known teachers , like Jeff McErlain and David Hamburger to name a few.

Gang,

TrueFire has increased their referral bonus from $10 to $30 each for both parties. I'm not sure if this is just for the weekend or a permanent fixture. You can still sign up on your own and get $10, but the referral is the way to go. My referral link is below if you want the $30, which will easily get you a streaming/download course. If you have a friend that uses TrueFire hit them up instead by all means. Happy learning!

www.truefire.com

https://truefire.com/ignite/?code=jessefbaker

Here are a few people you might know that have courses at TrueFire.

Robben Ford - 11 courses

David Grissom - 2 courses

Matt Schofield - 1 course

Allen Hinds - 1 course

Andy Timmons - 4 courses

I see that I posted something back in 2015 above, just wanted to say that nothing has changed.I highly recommend the site. Currently doing a deep dive into the modes and full major scale. Robbie Calvo does a nice job with respect to teaching the modes over a number of courses

https://truefire.com/educators/robbie-calvo/e4181

Thank you for sharing this teacher as I am not familiar with him. I counted 24 courses of his on TrueFire. That is a wealth of content.

Reactions: CVS
Thank you for sharing this teacher as I am not familiar with him. I counted 24 courses of his on TrueFire. That is a wealth of content.
I have about 6 of his courses - equally divided between rhythm / chords and soloing. Have learned a lot about song structure and arrangements & created some of my own versions of his backing tracks.

I’ve been meaning to check these out. Do you use a computer or an iPad/tablet when using the material? Generally I prefer to download my material so I have a permanent copy rather than streaming which seems to suggest a computer use rather than iPad. I like to throw the videos on my TV which is a bit easier from my iPad than a computer currently, though I can throw content on a USB stick. Thoughts?

I generally use my windows PC but you can also use your iphone or ipad at no extra cost if you get the App, which is free. With the iphone ipad approach you will have to plug them into something so that you can actually hear the lessons while you have your guitar in your hands. You will also need a good wireless network to go with your iphone / ipad. (I have had troubles in some hotel rooms with wireless networks) I have my computer connected to my stereo system, which I use when I want to play over the backing tracks with my 15 watt amp. I have much smaller speakers connected to the computer and I generally use them when learning the lesson along with a small Roland Mico Cube GX amp

I am sure others do it differently.

I’ve been meaning to check these out. Do you use a computer or an iPad/tablet when using the material? Generally I prefer to download my material so I have a permanent copy rather than streaming which seems to suggest a computer use rather than iPad. I like to throw the videos on my TV which is a bit easier from my iPad than a computer currently, though I can throw content on a USB stick. Thoughts?

You can download your courses and play them from most any device, including iOS. Here's a link to their apps.

Thanks for the replies - was trying to think of my 'workflow' for using the material. I have tired eyes and I like to throw video content on my TV for easier viewing and tabs on my iPad (use a holder on my mic stand). I'll give it a whirl - take my mind off of packing up for listing our home for sale.

Thanks for the replies - was trying to think of my 'workflow' for using the material. I have tired eyes and I like to throw video content on my TV for easier viewing and tabs on my iPad (use a holder on my mic stand). I'll give it a whirl - take my mind off of packing up for listing our home for sale.

Very cool. Have fun with it. If you don't use my link use a friends to get your free cash!

+1 for Truefire, and I'm super jelly that you thought to throw the referral link up here before I did!

I've been using them for the last 6 months, and I have to say I'm a really big fan. There's a ton of awesome material out there, especially of you're looking to branch out into new styles and content.

I've been trying to get more into the Texas twang lately and I have to say that Johnny Hiland has some sick skills.

Another guitarist that I'm a huge fan of is Tommy Emmanuel, and he has 3-4 classes that I've also bought. IDK that you'll find a better finger style player to learn from.

I bought the annual pass, selected a couple of styles, and just started working my way through their learning paths. Most of the earlier content is super easy, but by Intermediate level I started picking up things that were either "better ways to do it" or "man, that bad habit of mine really was a roadblock".

After that I decided that I dug some of the instructors so much that I bought their material, even tho I can access anything I want with the annual pass. I did it for a few reasons:
- I like to own my stuff
- They had a big BOGO Memorial Day sale
- I like to think the instructors are better compensated when you buy their material, and I think these guys deserve to get paid for their work
- I *might* have figured out how to play the material at home w/o their stupid app

I'm not 100

Hmmm, sorry for the double post, but the forum won't let me correct my last post...

I'm not 100% on this, but I think it'd work:
I run the Truefire app on my iPad, which is sitting on my music stand in the basement. There's a TV/receiver/Apple TV down there as well, and I'm betting I could stream from the iPad to the AppleTV to the TV?

LMK if you're interested and I can check it out for you.

Hmmm, sorry for the double post, but the forum won't let me correct my last post...

I'm not 100% on this, but I think it'd work:
I run the Truefire app on my iPad, which is sitting on my music stand in the basement. There's a TV/receiver/Apple TV down there as well, and I'm betting I could stream from the iPad to the AppleTV to the TV?

LMK if you're interested and I can check it out for you.
I bought the Tommy Emmanuel first course, the two Tony McManus courses and the David Grissom course.

Binged streamed the first 4 Rock Guitar learning path courses to see how far down the rabbit hole I was. I have some bad habits on technique (not sure I can call it technique?) so thought I’d check how far back to the beginning to go. I didn’t buy the All Access as I really wanted those 4 courses above but didn’t want a big bill to explain to the missus (we’ve had big medical, home and car repair bills this week - ugh!).

I’ve had good luck using mirroring on my iPad to my Apple TV in my media/guitar room in the past - didn’t try it on this content yet. If you have downloaded material and can see the MPEG4 files you can throw it on a USB stick and your TV might be able to read it directly. I’ve done this with some other video guitar lessons.

I’ve had good luck using mirroring on my iPad to my Apple TV in my media/guitar room in the past - didn’t try it on this content yet. If you have downloaded material and can see the MPEG4 files you can throw it on a USB stick and your TV might be able to read it directly. I’ve done this with some other video guitar lessons.

The problem I'm seeing with the downloaded material is that when I try to play the video files on my local PC, the media player doesn't show content. I haven't had a chance to try various players yet, but I assumed it was protection to ensure that you used their app. I have some software that I use to "backup" the DVD's, BluRays, and UHD discs that we use, so if I found that other viewers didn't work for the Truefire files then the next step would be to convert the file format using that.

I have no problem using their app, and I'm actually a fan of the way it works. My only worry would be that they change formats, the app, their service model, etc; then I'd be SoL on future access to the courses that I've actually bought.

The problem I'm seeing with the downloaded material is that when I try to play the video files on my local PC, the media player doesn't show content. I haven't had a chance to try various players yet, but I assumed it was protection to ensure that you used their app. I have some software that I use to "backup" the DVD's, BluRays, and UHD discs that we use, so if I found that other viewers didn't work for the Truefire files then the next step would be to convert the file format using that.

I have no problem using their app, and I'm actually a fan of the way it works. My only worry would be that they change formats, the app, their service model, etc; then I'd be SoL on future access to the courses that I've actually bought.
Roger that! I’m the same way - I like to ‘own’ my stuff which means having access for decades :)

Roger that! I’m the same way - I like to ‘own’ my stuff which means having access for decades :)

Agreed, b/c I'm hoping that the fact that they make it available on CD indicates that it's not too tough to pull off.

Back