"true bypass" pedals

@Huggy B don’t you mostly record stuff? Can’t you just add effects to the signal in your DAW?

Not that I’m trying to stop you from shopping or anything...

Yea what's the big idea of squashing my GAS high? ............. If only for a lowly reverb pedal.
......... how dare you?!!:mad: ......... :D

Of course I record most of my guitar tracks dry and add effects later, but I still like to jam a little and so some home plucking for my own enjoyment.

Just curious, which pedal did that? Barbers are some of the best pedals made. And, I've never heard of anyone having the RFI issue with any Barber pedal, but the few Barbers I haven't owned were his various fuzz pedals.

It was the Burn Unit. I think I had one boost pedal and the Burn Unit as well as the Lonestars on the 2nd channel. Either the combined instrument/effects cable length was just right, or the Burn Unit was responsible. (I didn't experience issues with any other builder's overdrive or distortion effects, so I surmised it was the Barber)

I used a loop pedal to isolate my fuzzes in the past. Yes, most fuzz designs have a characteristic of wanting to be the only thing in the chain. Modern takes on the Classics, like Suhr, can give you the best of both worlds, but if you want your fav old Big Muff, it’s a tough compromise.

On this ancient version of my board, we played a bunch of Weezer, Bush, Jimmy Eat World kind of stuff and I had lots of gain. Mix the 3 channels of the MkIII in and I had a butt-load of tap dancing that day (a giant neighborhood block party with us on a flatbed trailer, an undersized PA and carte blanche from the police department to “do our worst” to the noise ordinance, which meant, crank the guitar!). Two Keeley. Beauties - DS-1 and TS-9 ModPlus - and my Big Muff Mini. The BM had to go at the end of the chain in this scenario, the decision after countless hours of testing and practice.

But to get something like this custom beauty to work at its peak, you need to isolate it with a loop.

Boogie,

Like some, I've listened to some fuzz pedals but have shied away from them because they often introduce noise into the signal path, if used in conjunction with other boost or gain effects. That, and the issue of FX board real estate. The ol' board has only so much room on it for effects. So, I've never invested in a fuzz pedal, knowing of the characteristics of not playing well with other pedals. Therefore, in lieu of that, I usually prefer to use a low-to-moderate overdrive and clean boost, for a singing sustain, rather than a crunch, high gain overdrive, or fuzz.

My style of playing isn't hard rock or high gain either, so there is that. (Have not heard that many jazz or smooth jazz standards with fuzz lately o_O)

Boogie,

Like some, I've listened to some fuzz pedals but have shied away from them because they often introduce noise into the signal path, if used in conjunction with other boost or gain effects. That, and the issue of FX board real estate. The ol' board has only so much room on it for effects. So, I've never invested in a fuzz pedal, knowing of the characteristics of not playing well with other pedals. Therefore, in lieu of that, I usually prefer to use a low-to-moderate overdrive and clean boost, for a singing sustain, rather than a crunch, high gain overdrive, or fuzz.

My style of playing isn't hard rock or high gain either, so there is that. (Have not heard that many jazz or smooth jazz standards with fuzz lately o_O)
A fuzz does not generally do jazz...

...but it can be an amazing drive for slide, as Ian demonstrates here...

You’re right, fuzz is not for the faint of heart, but, otoh, why can’t a fuzz work anywhere? You have to want it.

A fuzz does not generally do jazz...

...but it can be an amazing drive for slide, as Ian demonstrates here...

You’re right, fuzz is not for the faint of heart, but, otoh, why can’t a fuzz work anywhere? You have to want it.

That would likely be the only scenario where'd I'd use a fuzz. But my skills don't include slide, so color me unprepared for slide at the time...but something I've always been inspired to learn...perhaps am currently content with overdrive/boost/reverb...

My guitar skills are like cheap imported brand names using the usual expensive gear. You get the idea.

Last edited:
I used a loop pedal to isolate my fuzzes in the past. Yes, most fuzz designs have a characteristic of wanting to be the only thing in the chain. Modern takes on the Classics, like Suhr, can give you the best of both worlds, but if you want your fav old Big Muff, it’s a tough compromise.

On this ancient version of my board, we played a bunch of Weezer, Bush, Jimmy Eat World kind of stuff and I had lots of gain. Mix the 3 channels of the MkIII in and I had a butt-load of tap dancing that day (a giant neighborhood block party with us on a flatbed trailer, an undersized PA and carte blanche from the police department to “do our worst” to the noise ordinance, which meant, crank the guitar!). Two Keeley. Beauties - DS-1 and TS-9 ModPlus - and my Big Muff Mini. The BM had to go at the end of the chain in this scenario, the decision after countless hours of testing and practice.

MkIII-rig-outdoor.jpg

But to get something like this custom beauty to work at its peak, you need to isolate it with a loop.

cerberus7.jpg
Dang!!! So you've got 4 speakers of sidefill and a combo for your front monitor... I'm guessing you're always able to hear yourself ok... :D

ES,

I've heard that a variety of fuzzes don't interact well with buffers. Is there a design-specific flaw found in buffers, or is it the fuzz designs? And if so, could someone compile a list of fuzzes that do interact well (read: clean up well with guitar knob volume) with buffers?
I think it's primarily the earliest fuzz circuits like the FuzzFace and ToneBender, which were designed before pedals routinely incorporated buffers. In the 60s even true effects pioneers like Hendrix used only two or three pedals and buffers were unnecessary (although some wah circuits of the time already included them).

Volume knob cleanup often isn't the only thing that's affected. Some FuzzFaces just sound thin and harsh downstream from buffers, regardless of knob interaction. Certainly there are modern pedals that are okay with buffers yet still exhibit good cleanup.

One of my downstream pedals is a 200 Lbs Of Gold from Lovepedal. The circuit is a Fuzzface cascaded into a Tubescreamer (Eric Johnson style) and Sean notes in the description that the input has been tightened up a bit and has been tweaked to work well with pedals such as wahs. I take this to mean it's buffer-adapted.

Still, many builders - and players - prefer to keep it old school so a lot of FF & Bender pedals are still made pretty close to the originals.

I don't think there's a reliable list of fuzzes that don't like being downstream of buffers. But it would definitely include the Fuzz Face, the Tone Bender, and their close old school cousins& clones.

You can sometimes tell from a pedal's specs, if the input impedance is listed. General rule of thumb is, if the input Z is less than 500kΩ there could be problems with a buffer in front. Above 500kΩ it is almost always okay.

I believe it's a relatively simple fix to adapt the input of classic fuzz circuits to play nice with modern pedals, either with a simple buffer or using an inductor to load the circuit in place of the guitar.

an article about pickup simulation:
http://www.muzique.com/news/pickup-simulation/

and a thread about remedial buffering:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=116867.0

A good article here by Pete Thorn about buffer placement on pedalboards - Pete knows tone!
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/24687-tone-tips-a-crash-course-on-buffers

Last edited:
Dang!!! So you've got 4 speakers of sidefill and a combo for your front monitor... I'm guessing you're always able to hear yourself ok...
Trust me, I did not stand directly in front of that wall of Boogie Destruction (was pretty beastly until about 25’ in front of the stage, then it dropped like a rock)! The combo speaker wasn’t active. That amp was pulling double duty in two bands so I couldn’t slap the amp into the head-only shell...needed that speaker for more reasonable volume level gigs. I was running the Boogie flat out...truth.

Quick story of why I bought those cabs...
It was 1989 and I had just taken delivery of my MkIII (it was like a 6 week leadtime). The band was doing a lot of club and bar gigs where volume wasn’t an issue but the house sound wasn’t always available to the guitars, so I needed to move air to cover the mix. A few weeks later, I had a business trip to Monterey/SF/Carmel then drove down US1 to LA. Stayed with a buddy in his uncle’s beautiful home in the Hollywood hills. The first night, he took me to a club where his band (he was their manager) was playing. Kind of a swanky place...girls in skirts, people waiting in line, but we were on ‘the list’, which was very cool. The band was playing in the main room, so we entered from stage right around the front of the stage. When I got in the guitarist’s speaker wash, we were about 40’ in front. It blew my ear drum Bugs Bunny style! He was sporting a MkIII with 2 of the 2x12s and it sounded insane. Loud as anything I’d ever heard without PA support...a Marshall 800 full stack had nothing on this. I bought the first one upon returning home and found the other in The Trader a month later. These things are sonic weapons.

Last edited:
Back