tropical climate

Alain PHILIPPE

Hi everybody,
i'm new in this forum.
I'm quite decided about my next (and first electric) guitar.
I think the "SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow" is the right choice for me.
BUT I live in a hot humid tropical Climate (french polynesia).
So any advise about this not guitar friendly environment would help me a lot.
Any guitar type / pickup / wood to avoid ?
Thanks a lot !
Alain

Any "hardware" advice ?
What kind of wood, pickup would be safer in a warm wet tropical climate ?
Thanks again :)

Any "hardware" advice ?
What kind of wood, pickup would be safer in a warm wet tropical climate ?
Thanks again :)
I don't think any well made guitar will suffer because of the specific wood or pickups. As long as you keep it enclosed while not in use with appropriate humidity moderating equipment/material, you should be fine. And by "enclosed", I mean either in a case, or in a room or house that is "environmentally controlled" (i..e has air conditioning in your case).

Is your residence (or wherever you keep the guitar) air conditioned, or are you fairly open to the elements? I live in Florida, which can get quite humid outside, but the air conditioning keeps everything right where it should be all year long.

I'm going to assume French Polynesia is like having year-round Florida summer.

I use a digital thermometer/hygrometer and run the air conditioner if humidity climbs above 65%. If you don't have air conditioning, you can leave the guitars in their cases when not playing and use a product like D'Addario Humidipaks to keep them happiest.

Store the guitars on an inside wall out of the sun, or better yet in a closet, to shield them from temp/humidity shifts.

It's always a good idea to give the guitar a wipe down after playing. Get some good metal polish like Blue Magic to fend off tarnish. I personally would avoid unplated metals where possible, which is more of a problem on the Core guitars. They need regular polishing in humid climes.

I wouldn't worry about the wood choices. Everything is going to be well dried and in most cases sealed with finish.

Ultimately though, remember that electric guitars are hardy things and can take a lot of abuse. With a little bit of practical care, you'll be fine.

Back