Tricked out Zach Myers SE!

ah yes it worked, I just saw these beauties.

They're such great guitars, especially for the price (the Trampas Green is a 2017, back when they were only $679 USD). As I mentioned I've got a 2019 McCarty 594 and I actually prefer these (I'm considering trading the McCarty in for a Fender Jazz Strat).

They're such great guitars, especially for the price (the Trampas Green is a 2017, back when they were only $679 USD). As I mentioned I've got a 2019 McCarty 594 and I actually prefer these (I'm considering trading the McCarty in for a Fender Jazz Strat).
Oh, no... please don't do that. It's OK if you like the SEs better.

91fDqbE.jpg

From afar it only looks like covered pickups were added.
Far from the truth: Stormy Monday pickup pair, CTS pots with Push/Pull tone knobs for coil splitting, orange drop caps, changed Pickup ring colors to more cream/ivory, Mann Made locking tuners, Switchcraft 3 way, and a core nut.
Love the new blue version. I look forward to seeing this thread updated with the 2021 version. I would def change that Blue to covered pickups with white/cream rings and tuners/selector knob.

kZ6OEPH.jpg

RbqyKvC.jpg

Limited edition run from C&M. The whole guitar has a Satin finish; maple cap with a natural quilted maple veneer. Ebony fretboard with black binding.

36th anniversary pickups
Mann made adjustable bridge
Kluson locking tuners
Core nut
upgraded the pots and installed push/pull tone pots; re-wired to make similar to McCarty 594 layout (helps my pea brain not get confused between models I have)
Added treble bleeds
Strap locks
Changed the knobs to core lampshades
Changed the truss rod cover.

yeah I went crazy. But that’s to me the beauty of SEs if you find the one you like. All this and I’m still under the cost of a new S2 singlecut.

kZ6OEPH.jpg

RbqyKvC.jpg

Limited edition run from C&M. The whole guitar has a Satin finish; maple cap with a natural quilted maple veneer. Ebony fretboard with black binding.

36th anniversary pickups
Kluson locking tuners
Core nut
upgraded the pots and installed push/pull tone pots; re-wired to make similar to McCarty 594 layout (helps my pea brain not get confused between models I have)
Added treble bleeds
Strap locks

yeah I went crazy. But that’s to me the beauty of SEs if you find the one you like. All this and I’m still under the cost of a new S2 singlecut.

baller!

kZ6OEPH.jpg

RbqyKvC.jpg

36th anniversary pickups
Kluson locking tuners
Core nut
Added treble bleeds
Strap locks

Love!

Finally dialed in the 36th anniversary pickups right. My bridge pickup was set too low and sounded way too thin and chimey, almost like a tele bridge. Quick turn of the screws and found the perfect height. Very sensitive to the slightest change in heights. But wow this is now a lovely sound. Props to whoever suggested this pickup for the Zach Myers. Very articulate tone. Much cleaner (less muddy) than stock pickups. I would say a brighter pickup for sure, but this ZM I have also had a ebony fretboard which makes it sound naturally snappier and brighter than rosewoods.

Back at it again after selling my last Zach myers to a friend. I decided I needed 1 PRS single cut in my life and I wanted a nice light one that if it faded it would look cool.

xwKDMk1.jpg

90% of these mods were left over parts from other projects. I like the blue/cream look and eliminated nearly all the black from the front:
- Phase 3 vintage locking tuners. Used silver sky locking screws
- custom truss rod cover
- MannMade 2300 bridge
- Bareknuckle Abraxas Pickups. I installed covers on them using 58/15s covers from a previous guitar.
- cream pickup rings
- switchkraft 3 way toggle
- PRS drop in Tremonti electronics kit. No Push Pull. Love the core feel to the knobs.
- clear imperial speed knobs
- Schaller guitar locks.

ZbzOItW.jpg

Maybe for poops and giggles I’ll consider a bone nut.

I picked up an amazing PRS SE ZM from Brians guitars. I looks amazing! But I can't leave anything alone. As soon as I saw it I had a plan!

So here are the mods:

Dimarzio 36th Annie pickups
White pickup rings
CTS pots with push/pull Volume knobs to split the coils
Lampshades
Orange drop caps
Switchcraft 3 way and input jack
Mannmade bridge
Phase 3 locking tuners
Graph tech nut

Oh, and all the hardware is hybrid style!

She rip!! What an amazing guitar!!
Stock pics first.

sKuuVRz.jpg

5EKPWdS.jpg

LURFHrw.jpg

NOW!!

dqW4lB9.jpg

Czhkagr.jpg

ZcCbRS7.jpg

Progress pics:

D0sA3CZ.jpg

iiwuHty.jpg

wGryqSv.jpg

ll9Rc3B.jpg

dKTbcpn.jpg

2IWhFms.jpg

cUhUDBn.jpg

wrUNOnj.jpg

KDOeYEk.jpg

eGNmAuu.jpg

ffzXyE0.jpg

DbgMyVj.jpg

31oHk5W.jpg

iygZ17o.jpg

What do the orange drop caps do for tone?

FYI since I’ve seen some different opinions when looking at pickup options and hope future guys can find this post: long legged pickups fit fine in the Zach myers. No routing is necessary. In fact PRS routed for long legs. This really opens up the door for pickup options if one is looking to upgrade. And it’s not only this line. All the s2 McCarty take long legs fine, including the thin line. It’s like they want you to upgrade for the 58/15 LT

For what it’s worth: I settled on a used set of APH2 Seymour Duncan’s (with covers). These are Slash’s set that are suppose to mimic his Appetite for Destruction sound. I love it in the Zach Myers. It helps tame some of the innate brightness with this semi-hollow guitar but still allows it take gain beautifully. Cleans up great. No push pull on it which was fine with me since I’m rarely satisfied with push pulls due to the volume drop. I find all positions to sound great! It can be had for great prices used (whole set close to 1 PRS USA pickup price).

For what it’s worth: I settled on a used set of APH2 Seymour Duncan’s (with covers). These are Slash’s set that are suppose to mimic his Appetite for Destruction sound. I love it in the Zach Myers. It helps tame some of the innate brightness with this semi-hollow guitar but still allows it take gain beautifully. Cleans up great. No push pull on it which was fine with me since I’m rarely satisfied with push pulls due to the volume drop. I find all positions to sound great! It can be had for great prices used (whole set close to 1 PRS USA pickup price).
I’ve thought about trying those same pickups since I’ve been on a huge Slash fix lately. Haven’t listened to him much for the last 15-20 years, but been really digging his playing and sound again. But my ZM has Pearly Gates pickups for now and they work really nice as well, giving me kind of a classic 335 sound.

I’ve thought about trying those same pickups since I’ve been on a huge Slash fix lately. Haven’t listened to him much for the last 15-20 years, but been really digging his playing and sound again. But my ZM has Pearly Gates pickups for now and they work really nice as well, giving me kind of a classic 335 sound.
Search some of his solo stuff. Killer tones and riffs.

Anybody else notice the Korean made versions seemed far superior? The tuners seemed better as they didn’t feel light and held tune fine. The maple caps were thicker. I measured a few mm thicker on the cap. The cosmetics on the older ones seem better with better matching of the mahogany pieces to hide the seams and 5 parts of the head stock. Small details like cavity covers were flushed to the guitar.

The Indonesian seem “cheaper”…but still play great, which I guess is all that matters. I would say the major improvement now is the core nut and headstock overlay. The color is all preference.

I picked up an amazing PRS SE ZM from Brians guitars. I looks amazing! But I can't leave anything alone. As soon as I saw it I had a plan!

So here are the mods:

Dimarzio 36th Annie pickups
White pickup rings
CTS pots with push/pull Volume knobs to split the coils
Lampshades
Orange drop caps
Switchcraft 3 way and input jack
Mannmade bridge
Phase 3 locking tuners
Graph tech nut

Oh, and all the hardware is hybrid style!

She rip!! What an amazing guitar!!
Stock pics first.

sKuuVRz.jpg

5EKPWdS.jpg

LURFHrw.jpg

NOW!!

dqW4lB9.jpg

Czhkagr.jpg

ZcCbRS7.jpg

Progress pics:

D0sA3CZ.jpg

iiwuHty.jpg

wGryqSv.jpg

ll9Rc3B.jpg

dKTbcpn.jpg

2IWhFms.jpg

cUhUDBn.jpg

wrUNOnj.jpg

KDOeYEk.jpg

eGNmAuu.jpg

ffzXyE0.jpg

DbgMyVj.jpg

31oHk5W.jpg

iygZ17o.jpg
beautiful guitar and wow the mods! I'm guessing you did them yourself. Do you notice the difference tonally?

Anybody else notice the Korean made versions seemed far superior? The tuners seemed better as they didn’t feel light and held tune fine. The maple caps were thicker. I measured a few mm thicker on the cap. The cosmetics on the older ones seem better with better matching of the mahogany pieces to hide the seams and 5 parts of the head stock. Small details like cavity covers were flushed to the guitar.
The essentially perfect fit and finish on my Korean '11 SE245 is slightly superior to my '22 S2 McCarty 594 SC which has a slight step-off between the neck mahogany and the binding. And the S2 has non-flush cavity covers too. The S2 hardware is way better overall. Tempting to replace the nut with an S2 version but it's a little thinner and the string spacing is a bit wider.

Back