Tremonti vs HFS pickups??

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Andrew Paul, Nov 10, 2018 at 12:57 PM.

1. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul New Member

Sometimes I acquire gear and I don’t remember I have. I was going through my draw of parts and I discovered I have a core Tremonti treble (bridge) pickup lying around and I was thinking about putting it in one of my custom 24s replacing the original HFS pickup for a while. Has anybody compared the two and what would be some of the sound differences? I’d like to know before I do all the work to remove and solder in tremoni pickup. Is it worth trying? What does to Tremonti pick up sound like?

Thanks Andy

#1 Andrew Paul, Nov 10, 2018 at 12:57 PM
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 2:10 PM
  2. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul New Member

BUMP Does anyone have an opinion on Tremonti bridge pickup??

3. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

Honestly, I’ve never done a side-by-side of those two. I’ll sit here and lurk...
    [​IMG]

4. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

I've heard of the same question being asked over the years. As far as I know the answer is elusive. Try it and let us know. My thoughts are that they will have similar power, but in a Cu24, the Tremonti will sound a little nasally. I'd be interested to know.

5. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul New Member

OK...... Looks like it's up to me, give me a week (busy at work this week) I'll solder Tremonti in and give a review. I'll put it in my 1990 CU24 and compare to my other 1991 CU24 Signature series with HFS in bridge position.

6. BrianC

BrianC Custom 24 King

Tremonti hey little hotter a little more game a little bit more modern. The HFS A tiny bit less hop a tiny bit less gain a lot more 80s

Andrew Paul likes this.
  7. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Out Lobstering...

I have tried the same HFS and Tremont in both my CE24 and my original Tremont SE. For me, the Tremonti is fuller, and more aggressive. Maybe more of a scooped sound compared the the HFS. I would take the Tremonti over the HFS, but in my CE I use a Duncan JB, I think it is sort of in between, the CE didn't need the extra treble of the Tremonti imo. I bet it will sound good in the Custom 24 though. Let us know!

8. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul New Member

Thanks for the info. Ironic that you say CE didn’t need extra treble of the Tremoni PUP, I remember more treble from my CE back in the early 90’s compared to my CU24. I think the CE I had used a Dragon II PUP in bridge position. It was bright and clear, kind of regret selling that guitar. It was older one with alder body, maple top, I was told it had Dragon II treble pup and vintage bass in neck. Never checked underneath them to confirm. I might buy a older Dragon II pup and try that out someday.