Tremonti Signature Archon

Spoke with Mr. Tremonti earlier this week and he said he's getting what should be a final prototype soon, will just make some final tweaks to the design and sounds. He said there will definitely be a head, and most likely a combo as well, 15/7 watts. Unfortunately, he said it won't be coming out until likely 2018 NAMM.

Spoke with Mr. Tremonti earlier this week and he said he's getting what should be a final prototype soon, will just make some final tweaks to the design and sounds. He said there will definitely be a head, and most likely a combo as well, 15/7 watts. Unfortunately, he said it won't be coming out until likely 2018 NAMM.

15 watts on both head and combo? If it's a real tone machine, it would be great if they'd do a 50 watt top.

In regards to the release date... that's a bummer, but better right than rushed.

15 watts on both head and combo? If it's a real tone machine, it would be great if they'd do a 50 watt top.

In regards to the release date... that's a bummer, but better right than rushed.

Just speculating, possibly in the future or if something unexpected happens soon, but I would guess no right now because of Mark's insisting it be available at a very affordable price.

Welp, 3 months later and the OR15 I bought died :(

It does not pay to buy amps in this price range used, unless you get a steal on it. $150 off is not a steal. It's at a tech, hopefully not an output transformer. At this point, I'm fixing it to sell it, since it's already made me mad.

Hopefully I can salvage a few hundred out of it and stick that money back for either an Archon or Markon. I just wish we knew if the Tremonti sig was a single or multi channel amp. I needs teh cleans too.

I heard it will be 2 channels. Mark wanted it to have sparkly cleans like the Fender amps he uses for his clean tones. And then of course the gain channel.

Interesting post on Fb by Mr Tremonti today. Prototype!

x0km0v7.jpg

I don't need another amp. But Sonzera.

And a sudden weakening of willpower every time this amp is mentioned...

I have to admit that I am a bit confused about these lower watt amps that are so popular these days. I tried a Mini Rectifier a while ago and to my ears, it sounded weak as hell. Maybe I just didn't have it dialed in right and maybe I'm too old school when it comes to amps but to my ears, anything under 50 watts kinda sounds poopy. Honestly I wish someone would explain to me what is the advantage (other than bedroom practice jamming) to using 25 watt or less tube amps. I really am stumped.

I have to admit that I am a bit confused about these lower watt amps that are so popular these days. I tried a Mini Rectifier a while ago and to my ears, it sounded weak as hell. Maybe I just didn't have it dialed in right and maybe I'm too old school when it comes to amps but to my ears, anything under 50 watts kinda sounds poopy. Honestly I wish someone would explain to me what is the advantage (other than bedroom practice jamming) to using 25 watt or less tube amps. I really am stumped.

I've never played one a mini, but I've heard that a Mini Rec sounds weak compared to its older/bigger brothers. It's like the low end isn't there, and it just sounds brittle. Same for the 6505MH.

My OR15 sounded amazing before it died. So it's a good example that mid-high gain low wattage amps can sound great.

In this EVH Gear show, he discusses the new amp starting around 56mins in.

Having a 50 or a 100 watt amp with a 4x12 cab is an absolute waste unless you are a gigging player. Most people only need 15 or 20 watts for what they do. I play mostly at home so im not trying to blow it up like im at Budokan with the low end shaking the ground for no reason.

Having a 50 or a 100 watt amp with a 4x12 cab is an absolute waste unless you are a gigging player. Most people only need 15 or 20 watts for what they do. I play mostly at home so im not trying to blow it up like im at Budokan with the low end shaking the ground for no reason.
In terms of volume, maybe. But it's not all about volume. High wattage amps sound different than the same lower wattage versions. Transformers are different, headroom is different and the feel can be different. Same with the 4x12, it's a different sound than a 1x12 or 2x12, no matter what volume you're playing at.

Yeah you are right, i should have said gigging or have neighbors or family who dont mind if you crank it. I have a Mesa and its an absolute waste because it sounds like **** at low volumes which is the way i can play it 99% of the time. 50 and 100 watt amps are highly inconvenient because you have to crank it to get those tones. I havent played a single one that sounds full at normal home levels.
34pqEXh.jpg
This Is the best solution i have found for at home levels. In the studio my Mesa is great but at home it gets squashed tonewise by this. And with a little mod i can connect it to a speaker and give it low end when i am allowed to.

My archon 100 sounds great at pretty much any volume. Not all masters are created equal though. Not sure which Mesa you have, but sometimes turning up the master and using channel volumes to control the overall volume works better in those home situations. Or putting an EQ pedal in the loop set flat and using the level control low with the master turned up will give the big amp sound at low volume.

That's not to take anything away from your setup there(or other lower wattage amps)- all have their purpose and some sound excellent. Sometimes you can tame the big boys with relatively inexpensive methods and get good results. I don't doubt the Tremonti amp will sound great. He's a picky guy and I'm sure they'll get it right and make a little monster capable of his big tone.

Yeah you are right, i should have said gigging or have neighbors or family who dont mind if you crank it. I have a Mesa and its an absolute waste because it sounds like **** at low volumes which is the way i can play it 99% of the time. 50 and 100 watt amps are highly inconvenient because you have to crank it to get those tones. I havent played a single one that sounds full at normal home levels.
34pqEXh.jpg
This Is the best solution i have found for at home levels. In the studio my Mesa is great but at home it gets squashed tonewise by this. And with a little mod i can connect it to a speaker and give it low end when i am allowed to.

My answer to the "you're playing too loud" issue? A Fryette Power Station (or other attenuator/reactive load box). Yes, some of them are expensive... but relative to what some pay for their guitars on here, they're pocket change lol.

I have my Dual Rectifier's master volume at around 10:00, channel volume around noon, with the gain at 1:00 on channel 3. Quiet as a mouse. I can turn the volume completely off and use the DI out to silently record if I want. No mics, no room treatment. Just the box, an instrument cable, computer, and some IRs.

My Power Station is #2 on my favorite gear purchases (second only to my Custom 24 lol).

lXLrcLL_d.jpg

Last edited:
My answer to the "you're playing too loud" issue? A Fryette Power Station (or other attenuator/reactive load box). Yes, some of them are expensive... but relative to what some pay for their guitars on here, they're pocket change lol.

I have my Dual Rectifier's master volume at around 10:00, channel volume around noon, with the gain at 1:00 on channel 3. Quiet as a mouse. I can turn the volume completely off and use the DI out to silently record if I want. No mics, no room treatment. Just the box, an instrument cable, computer, and some IRs.

My Power Station is #2 on my favorite gear purchases (second only to my Custom 24 lol).

lXLrcLL_d.jpg

Nice rig!

TC-50 looks like a good choice. Keep in mind, EVERYONE needs an Archon! :D

I was leaning Archon but idk. The TC-50 has my interest. I'll be playing the amps before I buy one. I know where to play a TC-50 close by but will have to drive 2 hours to play an Archon.

Back