Tremonti Signature Archon

It's looking like PRS has left the Tremonti amp at home. Still no word, unless they announce it tomorrow.

1311723169535.jpg

Would be rare for them to hold something back. No advantage from a marketing or exposure standpoint.

I have been putting off new amp purchase for over a year because of the promised PRS Tremonti amp, but given no announcement at NAMM I am bored now and will buy elsewhere. A huge missed opportunity in my opinion by PRS even if they said don't worry will be available soon.

I saw another interview this morning g with tremonti on the thomann Facebook page - 15watt amp, he told them it has to be less than $700. Paul keeps tweaking it but mark is adamant about the sound and price.

Sounds like it's still being worked on. My guess is that they are having a hard time keeping the cost down without building it in Indonesia.

An even bigger missed opportunity by you though...

Not really. I feel the same way about it. And the more info that leaks, the less I'm interested.

Everyone was hyped for this amp, and nothing was mentioned at NAMM. Huge missed opportunity. I had the money to buy one, but it's going to be spent on something that's actually available.

But really, after a little more information was let out.... it sounds like it's gonna be a budget SE amp that's the equivalent of a 6505MH. They're good amps but not even close to its bigger/older brother.

Last edited:
An even bigger missed opportunity by you though...

That makes no sense at all to me! But each their own as always. From my opinion this amp was talked about by Mark over a year ago and was mentioned to be released March/April. Given they were not announced at NAMM I can only assume they are another year off, so I will buy something else while I am waiting.

That makes no sense at all to me! But each their own as always. From my opinion this amp was talked about by Mark over a year ago and was mentioned to be released March/April. Given they were not announced at NAMM I can only assume they are another year off, so I will buy something else while I am waiting.

I vote Archon! :)

I just pulled the trigger on an Orange OR15. I feel very good about this decision since I don't have anything that accomplishes that classic rock sound. I already have a Mesa Dual Rectifier for the metal stuffs. Plus, I use an Orange 2x12 cab so I'm sure it'll pair really well :)

Guess it depends on your perspective. He said "a huge opportunity missed by PRS." We all know what NAMM is, but if it isn't ready, it isn't ready. I'd rather have it completely ready for the market than introduced at NAMM and then not for sale til 6 months later. Intruduce it now with a few bugs that need to be worked out and the negative word of mouth could significantly affect the marketability of the amp.

Anyone remember the Suhr Corso ordeal at The Gear Page? Pete Thorn did a demo when the amp was "almost ready to hit the shelves" and people by the droves, including me!, were lined up, cash in hand ready to buy one. There was immediately a thread that quickly grew to 20 plus pages and numerous guys ready to buy. MONTHS later, still no amp, and if you followed that thread, by then MOST of them had moved on, again, including me. I found something that worked better than it would have and cost less. But at that time, I was a sure thing sale. Many, many other guys moved on as well, and several years later me and a whole bunch of them have never bought a Corso, even used.

The difference here is, they never presented this product as "it is done and ready to be introduced and will be on the shelves in a few weeks." This didn't have a professional product demo done with a promise of being available right away. This was discussed as a concept, then as something they are working on. If you want to move on, move on. But PRS can't (and shouldn't) rush anything into production before it's ready just because a few guys want to buy now. There are WAY WAY WAY more guys here who have been asking for a 25 watt Archon head for over 2 years now. But is it enough buyers to actually mean something in the grand scheme of things? To us, it seems like it is, but even 15 or 20 guys who keep saying they want one, does not a successful product line make. (I think there are a LOT more, given the success of the Mesa small heads, but we may never know. And once I buy a 50 watt Archon, I won't be in the market anymore for a 25).

I think they are likely releasing or shooting for the musik Messe in
March

I saw another interview this morning g with tremonti on the thomann Facebook page - 15watt amp, he told them it has to be less than $700. Paul keeps tweaking it but mark is adamant about the sound and price.

Sounds like it's still being worked on. My guess is that they are having a hard time keeping the cost down without building it in Indonesia.

I think the problem is that Paul is not a super hi gain guy I saw interviews with him an the Archon and he always seemed a little uncomfortable in THAT tone

I am not saying he is not pleased that it has sold so well but I don't think it was his baby
If you watch one old NAMM
Vid they talk about the Archon

There was an employee Brandon Chang who played in a heavy band who was tweaking the custom 50 to his personal liking after a while a few guys in the shop started to kind of like it and thought cool so they took it to Doug and Paul

There was original plans to do a 25 Head
A dealer told me 6 to 8weeks after the amp show launched the 25 combo

Brandon is no longer at PRS so I wonder if that has been thedelays on seeing anything modern come out in the past 2 years

PRS just release two really significant amps and I suspect it will take time for the market to learn about them. Of the two, I am the most excited about the Sonzera. Includes a reverb tank. ;) I don't know that it's a good idea to release a whole lot of new products all at the same time.

Besides, why does the Archon need tweaking in the first place? I have an Archon and it's fine the way it is. IMHO... Just because Tremonti wants to have a modified Archon doesn't mean that I'm going to automatically like it. I don't like his signature model pickups. I buy lots of his records but I don't like the guitar tone he gets. There is a such thing as too much gain or whatever you call it. He plays high gain pickups through high gain tube amps and so all you hear is a tidal wave of sound without being able to discern what notes/chords he's actually playing. Add a second guitarist doing the same thing and you have an Alterbridge Record that sounds like a jet engine running through a distortion pedal. One big loud squishy mess. I don't know how the drummer can even tell where they are in the song. Anyway, my point is.... if you need more gain than what the Archon delivers, what the heck are you doing?

I think it's more than just an Archon tweak, though - it's an attempt to get that sound at a lower price point for the folks who can't - or won't - go up to the price of an Archon. Of course, I'm saying that w/no idea what the Archon 25 runs.

The Tremonti model amp sounds like its a serous project in general for PRS. Crossing my fingers, let's hope that if it comes out its going to be good.

Really excited to hear the amp! In a recent gear rundown of Tremonti's rig by Premier Guitar, He doesn't even switch amps anymore for a clean setting he just rolls the volume down. I wonder if that will be a core focus of the amp design in nailing the Archon-ness of the distortion channel and opting for volume roll off for cleans...it could turn out to be a single channel amp.

But definitely looking forward to a video or something in March to show it off and hear how it sounds. If I had not known about this amp I think I would have tried to save up for a Sonzera but now I really need to see what this will be.

I am guessing the rumoured March release time line probably isn't happening

Back