Tremonti SE Custom Korea vs Indonesia

Shane Cormier

Looking at picking up a Tremonti SE Custom and was curious as to opinions on build quality of each? Any differences? Comparable or is there a clear winner? I've read arguments for both on different sites.

Any input appreciated.

This is an "old" concern about PRS, when SE manufacturing was transferred from Korea to Indonesia . There was much panic and concern, as the Korean SE had built a very good reputation for build quality. Folks were afraid the Indo models would fall short.

I bought my first SE CU 24 around that time. And she is of Indonesian extraction. Excellent build quality. Not a thing wrong with her. A bit later, I was looking for a Standard SE 24 and nobody had them. Except my favorite pusher of guitardope ... Sweetwater. They had an "exclusive" ,that they called a " Custom", but . did not have the maple cap.

BUT ,,, it had a really cool rosewood veneer, and it was sold to me , for the price of a Standard. So I copped and lo and behold... she is Korean ! So here are two SE sweeties, with nary a difference in build quality between them . Save for the fact that the maple capped version weighs a ton more ! . I always tease her about being "chubby" :p

Now when guitar manufacturing moved from Korea to Indonesia, nothing was said about pickup manufacturing... G&B a Korean firm apparently, made the pickups in the Korean models and well ... Aside from the 85/15S being the pickup everyone loves to hate, I think I have noted a more richness and pleasing overall tone from the Korean G&B set in the Korean guitar..

But PRS treats pickup design like they were state secrets . We do not know who makes the pickups in the Indonesian models of CU24 at least. Could be G&B. Could be made in Indonesia . But I have offed the Indo guitars pickups for Vaughn Skows , and am quite happy. Ther G&B Korean set soldiers on, they don't sound a cool as the VS ... but they don't cry out "replace me now !"

But what pickup is in the Tremonti ? . If 85/15S then maybe my experience is relevant. If they are something different, them I don't know.

But I do think, whoever is making the 58/15S is doing a helluva job... and the TCI SE pickup apparently is very good ...But as I said above , those are PRS State Secrets, so we can only conjecture...

My $239 VS pickups came with a "Birth Certificate". Tells you everything about the pickup. Bobbins, magnets, type of wire , number of turns, DC resistance and Inductance measured in Henries (which I hear is more important)

As Mr. Spock would say, we are talking about a rather primitive technology, been around about 70 years, ... Not "Rocket Science" Yet all this "mystery" persists ...:rolleyes:

My Indonesian Zach Myers is spectacular. Plays and sounds amazing. And looks like a Private Stock.

fZ79XIW.jpg

Looking at picking up a Tremonti SE Custom and was curious as to opinions on build quality of each? Any differences? Comparable or is there a clear winner? I've read arguments for both on different sites.

Any input appreciated.
I have one and it is really nice. Though I did put in a Doug Aldrich pickup and now it really screams.

So I guess your "Bottom Line", is that regardless of country of origin, you will be cool with either guitar, Indo or Korean. One hallmark of PRS's overseas manufacturing, is that they have been able to keep a high level of quality, regardless of the plant where the beast was made.

I mean, folks were (perhaps for reasons having nothing to do with rational considerations) Freaking out over the fact the SE Hollowbodies are made in .....say it CHYNA ! :eek:

Having actually been there (to export Amurrican Made Stanley Tools, once upon a time ) I had no such concerns.

And like I said in another post ... the only thing different about my Hollowbody if it were Amurrican made ... would be the 2x more expensive price. It . Is . That. Good.

I will in all likelihood, buy another.

And ... if my study of LCC (Low Cost Countries) is not wrong ... Vietnam will be a future stop for PRS SE. They are already building for Thomann, and Gear4Music. Higginbotham and Co will provide them some advanced training and ... Voila !

So get Ready ...

Back