Tremonti pickups in a Custom 22

Ron

Greetings, first post here although I've been reading for a while. A friend just gave me a new set of Tremonti Bass and Treble pickups. I have a 2008 Custom 22 with the original Dragon II's installed. I've been wanting to try different pickups and have a couple questions. First, has anyone else tried this swap? Looking at the PRS wiring schematic it appears the treble pickup will work with the 5-way rotary as in my CU22, but the bass pickup only lists compatability with 3-way and 5-way toggle/blade configurations. Before I take my guitar to my repair person I thought I'd check here first.

Thanks for any input. I've been enjoying the forum and all the great threads.
Ron Singley

Welcome Ron.
I'm not sure about the wiring, but I will be waiting to hear how it works out for you. I have a 2011 CU22 I would like to hear with Tremonti's, or at least the neck Tremonti. I would prefer 2 covered PUs. Both my guitars have 59/09s. Was there something about the Dragon II's you didn't like? I have been looking at those also.

Thanks. Yes, I'm curious about making the swap. Nothing against the DII's, just considering a change. Interestingly I've been thinking along the lines of the 59/09's or 57/08's if they were available. I've been leaning more toward a Les Paul vibe lately and wishing for a Singlecut, but figured changing out pups might be an easier route.

Yeah the Tremonti Bass can't be coil tapped. I'm sure it could still be used with the 5-way rotary, just not with the same exact "in between" tones as with the Dragon II's.
Maybe John Beef or another wiring guru here can give specific options.

It looks like you could replace your rotary switch with the 3 way push pull drop in kit to split the coils on the treble pickup.

It's going to be a tough decision, I'm not sure how much change I'm willing to make. I did try converting from the rotary to a 3-way with coil tap a couple years ago and wasn't pleased. I lost some of the tonal characteristics of the DII's, or at least it seemed that way to me. Having played Strats and Teles mostly in the past I'm not fond of the rotary at times. But that's only a minor thing, this is my go to guitar.

Blackbird, I see you list the AxeFxUltra in your signature. How are you using it? With an amp or direct to PA? I have a 2 Channel H, but mostly I run a Boss GT100 direct to console. I'd love to try the AxeFx!

Back