Tremonti or \m/ ??

DuncanCE22

I'm going to be swapping out the Dragon ii's in my CE22 for something a bit meatier, I mainly play hard rock like Breaking Benjamin, Alter Bridge, Seether, to name a few, but I also play metal and softer rock too. Not really sure whether to go for the Tremonti pick ups or the \m/ pick ups. I believe that they both work with my 5-way rotary switch but if someone could confirm that for me that would be great?

So bassically if anyone has used either of these pick ups then I'd love to hear which ones you would reccomend to me and your reasons why. Also if anyone wanted to upload me sound clips of either I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

I play a lot of a Breaking Benjamin and use \m/ pickups. Never tried Tremonti though.

The tremolti is a very hot pickup. What I read on the prs site was, the treble pickup can't be split (or could be the neck pickup) .

The tremolti is a very hot pickup. What I read on the prs site was, the treble pickup can't be split (or could be the neck pickup) .
Tremonti Treble can be split, it's 3 conductor. My PS 4344 originally had a Tremonti Treble but I had it swapped for a \m/ and I love it even more. After getting the \m/ 's in my custom 24 Floyd, I fell in love with these pickups for higher gain tones. Lot's of gain but still very dynamic and clean up well when you roll back the volume just like the 59/09s, etc. They are very fat and warm sounding so I'd make sure you have a guitar that's already maybe a little bright like with a Trem, ebony board and/or maple neck which the CE22 would fit into that category.

Tremonti Treble can be split, it's 3 conductor. My PS 4344 originally had a Tremonti Treble but I had it swapped for a \m/ and I love it even more. After getting the \m/ 's in my custom 24 Floyd, I fell in love with these pickups for higher gain tones. Lot's of gain but still very dynamic and clean up well when you roll back the volume just like the 59/09s, etc. They are very fat and warm sounding so I'd make sure you have a guitar that's already maybe a little bright like with a Trem, ebony board and/or maple neck which the CE22 would fit into that category.

I wasn't aware, thanks for clearing that up. I almost ordered a set of tremontios too. I have a set of m pickups at my dealer but need to find some time to pick them up, damn work gets in the way lol

I'll echo all of that. Tremonti wasn't dynamic enough for me. I love the \m/.

So the general opinion is the \m/ pickups will give me more of a variety of sounds? In the UK they are £100 a set more than the Tremonti's ($164 for the americans amongst us) are they worth the extra money? or can anyone reccomend me a cheaper place to get them from as the PRS parts shop doesnt ship to the UK.

I have the \m/ s in my new S2 singlecut and love them. very articulate. I hate most humbuckers in neck position as they have no punch or articulation just way warm and muddy. not so with the \m/s I happen to like ceramic pickup anyway.

Last edited:
I just got my m pickups in. Will be installing them in my dgt....will let you know my findings.

I have the \m/ s in my new S2 singlecut and love them. very articulate. I hate most humbuckers in neck position as they have no punch or articulation just way warm and muddy. not so with the \m/s I happen to like ceramic pickup anyway.

narrow 408 my friend. I am a neck pickup guy and these are my faves.

oh I don`t doubt that ! but being I have the standard large cavity not sure it would be that nice looking to fit. So dar I am liking the \m/ set right now

Ha ha, I wasn't suggesting you try to put a 408 in there, just suggesting you tryout a 408 equipped guitar as it may change your mind about neck humbuckers. Glad you like the \m/ set!

I got my dgt equipped with m pickups as of today. Have to say I'm pretty impressed with them. Very articulate and warm. Clean up great and split great. A little hotter than my 59/09 set in my cu24 . Remind me of emg James hetfield set.....pull the trigger, you won't be disappointed

91b8686c3797493873ddd262b1871642.jpg

Right so I think I've decided to save up the extra bit of cash and get the \m/ pickups. or maybe even sweet talk the Mrs into getting them for my birthday :D

My next question is would anyone have any information on:

1) how easy they are to wire in?

2)With the 5 way rotary switch does it make the switching positions any different to what they are with the Dragon ii's? for example will it sill be position 10 for bridge humbucker, 9 for outer coils etc?

As always any help is greatly appreciated.

I had my guitar tech do mine because I wanted a setup done on it too. He said that prs are one of the very few that require little effort to install or setup. Pickups are a breeze.

You'd have to look at the schematics of the m pickups but I'm 99.9 % sure you could have the same switching.

I do know that the \m/ bridge pickup requiring some routing on my guitar to fit

Neither. HFS/VB, especially if your playing that kind of music, some of which was recorded with a CU24 (except Seether's Disclaimer, that was a McCarty)

Back