Tremonti Baritone Hybrid Limited Run

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Rich5150, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Rich5150

Rich5150 New Member

Neidig and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  2. geese_com

geese_com New Member

I'm not versed on which scale length corresponds to what, but 25.5" is considered baritone? I always thought it was 26.5" and longer. 25.5" is just the regular Stratocaster scale length, right? Am I missing something?

vchizzle, FunkyFreeman and Whitecat like this.
  3. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

Baritone is usually a B standard tuning, AFAIK. Although longer scale length can be typical, it isn't a requirement, per se. It just makes it easier to attain the tuning on normal thickness strings.

To me this is almost a pseudo-baritone, half-way between normal tuning and baritone. But that's cool! And maybe it tunes down to B standard just fine too...

4. celtic757

celtic757 New Member

They refer to it as a hybrid. If this thing had an ebony board, I'd already have put a down payment on it.

5. Rich5150

Rich5150 New Member

I was thinking the same thing, but seeing as this is longer than the normal PRS scale, I can kinda see why they call it a Hybrid Baritone. Although the string it comes with could be used to fix a broken cable on a bridge lol.

The Fight likes this.
  6. WEDGE

WEDGE Zombie five, DFZ

This is nice, the standard 25.5 is better for aggressive playing. The tension feels better to me when playing high gain, even with standard tuning.

7. goof1073

goof1073 New Member

I really like the feel of 25.5" scale on an SC...I have a custom built guitar with that scale. Luckily for me the "curse" of the WT neck has saved me once again of even remotely thinking about this new offering. ☺️

sloanthebone, DISTORT6 and WEDGE like this.
  8. bluenova

bluenova Electrified since '84

:eek: .014 - .068 strings?!?! It's only tuned down 3 notes, holy cow

9. andross182

andross182 New Member

Dat "chugga chugga" life doe. Should be 11s!

10. Fox77

Fox77 New Member

Just bought another guitar last week, so when I saw the announcement my first thought was that this comes a week too late.

But since it has only 0.5" more scale length, I'll stick with my SC250. That sounds great in all drop tunings (I went as low as Drop B).

Cool guitar though!

11. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

Cool way to do a limited run. I'm probably in.

12. Jazzedout

Jazzedout More Guitars than Time...

So Stratocasters were baritone all this time?? :confused:o_O:rolleyes:

charliefrench and Dusty Chalk like this.
  13. Maertl513

Maertl513 Sherlock 513

Due to common sense a baritone scale starts at 27".
    I have no clue if the attribute "hybrid" means that all the beneficiaries of a "real" baritone regarding dropped and low tunings have been implemented at 25,5" scale (This is obviously a very common and standard scale for many competitors. That said, my Parker would be a baritone aswell ;-)). From my perspective PRS only changed the position of the bridge to a certain extend, everything else is commercial off the shelf, besides wood selection...

The core issue should be the tonal behaviour. If this certain model is good as "classic" baritones, everything is good.

#13 Maertl513, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    g.wizz likes this.
  14. FunkyFreeman

FunkyFreeman Moo Panuwat

Yeah I think so. If a 25.5 inches-scale PRS supposed to be called 'baritone', so why not Mark Holcomb medel?

15. prs19

prs19 New Member

Appears to be a SE beside him in the video based on the lettering on the back of the headstock. Wonder if it's coincidence or he also filmed a SE video at the same time...

16. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

An SE with black gold finish? I think that might be a first! Now I want it just for that. :oops:

Maertl513 likes this.
  17. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

FTFY
    Yeah, I would agree that this isn't a true baritone, but that it is another model oriented towards drop-tuning. They should probably drop that from its nomenclature for risk of drawing derision and scorn* on the part of players actually familiar with baritones. I got a 28" baritone and my friend said that that was fairly short, 30" is typical.

*To be clear, not me, I'm still a newb and still learning, but also I understand physics and understand how you can drop to baritone tuning without having such a long scale, but I'm already anticipating my friend getting all red-faced and hand-wavy when I tell him that PRS came out with a 25.5" baritone.

#17 Dusty Chalk, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    g.wizz and Maertl513 like this.
  18. bluenova

bluenova Electrified since '84

I suppose it's just not a common scale length in singlecut guitars as they're usually around 24.75.

Maertl513 likes this.
  19. Maertl513

Maertl513 Sherlock 513

As I stated: If it works, why not. And foremost: Mr. Tremonti approved it for his style of playing/tuning.
    And I assume: it fits in a standard case or bag.

20. the.hatter

the.hatter New Member

When I read baritone, I think of the SE 277 (27.7" scale length). Label aside, this guitar is very appealing to me. I would mostly use it in standard tuning with 10s or 11s, where the extra tension from the longer scale would be nice. Any more I'm just not that much of a slinky, bendy player. Melodic, chug, shred. :)

I'd prefer a Pattern Regular neck too. But it's a limited run so I guess l understand the limited neck choice.

On colors, if I didn't own any PRS guitars, I'd be all over the Jade. But since I've got Obsidian and Elephant Grey already, then either the Copperhead or Black Wraparound Burst are calling to me.