Tremolo tuning stability issue - all floating trems

Riplead

This is happening on my new PRS Custom 22, and it happens on my Elite and Ultra Stratocasters. It's not really that noticeable on my locking trems, but still does it a little bit. Everything is tightened up, lubricated and the nut slots are cut fine with no binding. I've tried GraphTech nuts, bridge saddles, and string trees, also locking tuners and different string brands, but the issue persists.

Just give the G string a good bend, check the pitch on a tuner, then dump the whammy and check it again and you'll see what I mean. This video confirms it also:

I've read that some players just give the bar a slight tug upwards as a workaround, but to me that's not natural.

I was thinking of trying a tremolo stabilizer but there's a few to choose from and I don't even know if it would resolve this issue.

These are the ones I found so far.

Super-Vee Mag-Lok
Hipshot Tremsetter
Goldo BackBox

Last edited:
I'll be curious to follow this thread. I don't have much confidence that any of the three products you've noted will work reliably and not have an undesirable feel to them. I put a Tremolo Stopper in my guitar thinking I would just do dives on my guitar, but I found that just the tremolo block hitting the stop screw upon return causes a definite "thunk" that is felt through the guitar. I decided to just abandon the use of the trem and treat it as a hard tail. I've been considering making the trem fully functional again and just living with the instability which I think is inherent in all floating trems.

Hey Mark, welcome to the forum. Yeah I'm kinda bummed out that after all my years of playing that I'm really just discovering this now, especially since I just got my Custom 22 yesterday, lol. I've always played locking trems or fixed bridges over the years, but would love to get my non-locking trems to behave.

Ok, I'm guilty of cross-posting (I think) I posted this on the PRS forums too, and someone just confirmed what I was suspecting:

"The issue in the video is binding at the saddle, not the bridge failing to return to its proper place."

They also suggested GraphTech saddles which I've used before, but didn't pay much attention to. I have to see if I can get them for my PRS and give it a go...

If this is believed to be an issue with the strings binding in the saddles, has anyone tried using Nut Sauce (or equivalent) on the saddles to see if that might help? I'm currently out of town, so I can't try this on my guitar at the moment.

Hey Mark, yeah tried nut sauce. Stuff works great, but I believe it is the binding at the saddle. The string doesn't always rest in the same place after bending/tremolo moves. Thinking of trying GraphTech saddles, and see how it goes.

I meant putting the lubricant on the saddle to reduce friction to see if that frees up the binding there.

Might the GraphTech saddles change the tone of the guitar? When they say “impregnated with PTFE”, it sounds like the saddle is some type of polymer.

Thinking of trying GraphTech saddles, and see how it goes.
If you try the GraphTech saddles can you give us an update if solved your problem. I recently got a 35th Anniversary SE CU and after the first week I started having tuning issues with the G string when I do bends or use the tremolo. I thing of changing the nut on my first string change.

Change the nut, black viper. Get a core nut. I’m really surprised by the tuning stability issues you have Riplead. I have 8 PRS with floating trems, and they all stay in tune. I’m not dive bombing, but I sure as hell rock the trems. I also have an over-acute sense of pitch, which is why I can no longer play other brands of guitars. If you’re in the DMV, pm me. This should be solvable in about 20 minutes.

Change the nut, black viper. Get a core nut. I’m really surprised by the tuning stability issues you have Riplead. I have 8 PRS with floating trems, and they all stay in tune. I’m not dive bombing, but I sure as hell rock the trems. I also have an over-acute sense of pitch, which is why I can no longer play other brands of guitars. If you’re in the DMV, pm me. This should be solvable in about 20 minutes.
This is my experience, as well

All my PRS guitars stay in tune just fine, I can usually get at least a couple of dive bombs ( trem arm touches the body )
If it dosen't come back 100% a quick wiggle usually gets it back close enough to finish the song or jam.
All my guitars are stock , when new some were on the tight side but after some heavy trem use and a restring with my brand all has been good, the more you use them the better they get. If I let a guitar sit too long it will take a bit before it returns to the normal tuning stability.

I 100% do not have the issue in the video !!!!!

I meant putting the lubricant on the saddle to reduce friction to see if that frees up the binding there.

Might the GraphTech saddles change the tone of the guitar? When they say “impregnated with PTFE”, it sounds like the saddle is some type of polymer.
I had the graph tech saddles on a trem guitar that wouldn’t stay in tune. The seller put them on. They killed the tone and did nothing for tuning stability. It turned out the trem claw had been drilled badly. I had the holes filled in, and the trem claw remounted. Problem gone.

Last edited:
That will do. If you have the opportunity, have it installed by a good luthier. If you still have the problem, we should be able to sort it out on the forum, or pm me if you wish.
Awesome. Thanks a lot for the info and your offer to help . A have a friend who's a luthier in a town nearby. I believe he should be able to handle this.

Yeah, me too. My finger tips don't like un-coated strings after about 15 minutes of playing. I use Optiwebs and don't have that problem.
I've been using Elixir Optiwebs on my other guitar for a year and a half now and love them. I still haven't tried them on my 35th Anniversary SE. I had no idea that the coating on them can help with tuning stability. Thanks a lot for that info.

Back