Tremolo springs question CU24

Andrew Paul

The cat's meow
Recently made a purchase 1990 custom 24. When I receive the guitar it desperately needed a set up. I do that work myself and have been for 20 years on all my PRS guitars but this is the first time I’ve run into this. After a good cleanup, polish, fret dressing , lemon oil the fretboard etc. I strung the guitar with 9’s and the when brought to tune The tremolo bridge pulled forward back up as if the springs did not have enough tension and the screws that hold the springs in the back are in all the way. The four Springs the guitar came with appear to be original nickel type. Could not balance the tremolo bridge until I added a fifth spring in the middle. Never had this happen before, Has this happened to any of you? I’ve owned and set up many PRS is since 1990. Here is a couple of pics. Showing you I needed five Springs to balance the tremolo bridge.

Does anyone think the springs have a weakened over the years and I need new springs?

krrCoQ2.jpg

8e1iXVg.jpg

uHa1mIN.jpg

I would guess that the springs are not original and are simply too long. You can easily get new ones. I shorten mine, as I run heavier strings but don't want to add a spring. Just clip off a couple loops with pliers and bend out the last loop.

if it stays in tune with 5 springs, I'd just leave it. If it ain't broke..........I have 2 guitars with 3 springs, don't ask me why. They stay in tune, so I'm happy.

Last edited:
The claw is our master

Apologies for the humour. You’ve got some slackness in them there springs laddie, get them tightened!:D

I would guess that the springs are not original and are simply too long. You can easily get new ones. I shorten mine, as I run heavier strings but don't want to add a spring. Just clip off a couple loops with pliers and bend out the last loop.

Great suggestion! So simple, I never thought of that...... learn something new everyday! Thanks for your replies.

Back