Tremolo Saddle Question

21Hemispheres12

Old Member
I’ve done some searching but couldn’t find a definitive answer so I figured I’d turn to the experts here. It’s common practice to have your low strings higher than your treble strings, so I set mine up high E through D at .060”, A through E .070”.

When I do this my A saddle is the highest so I’m presumably not following the radius of the board. Is that ok or should I set the strings all the same height to follow the radius?

Yes, the larger diameter strings vibrate in a larger pattern than the higher strings, so the methodology is to balance the adjustments out between the radius of the fretboard, what prevents tone issues(buzzes/rattles), and what's comfortable to your hands.

Good subject to bring up, this is one of the finer points of doing setups.

Apparently another method is to set the heights of your E strings and then use a radius gauge to bring the other strings to the correct height. I don’t think I’ve ever been happy with a tremolo bridge I set up so I’m really trying to dial it in.

I set my low and high E strings to PRS spec and then eyeball the other 4 to follow the radius of the board. Then from there I tweak by feel and sound, making sure hammer on notes bloom and don’t sound dead and have good sustain and there is no fret buzz and the guitar plays easily for my taste.

Back