Tremolo problems with 11-54 gauge strings

17rms1984

Got my guitar tech to set up my custom 24 with Ernie Ball beefy slinkys 11-54 gauge strings, moved up from the power slinky which is 11-48 no problems with those trem stayed in tune with heavy use of it, switched to these bigger 11's which I love but now the trem is like a strat trem, it goes out of tune when you use it, my tech cannot figure out why any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated!!!

He has checked the nut, and adding the fith spring made it even worse he said, he's been working on guitars for 40 years but not too many PRS ones and definitely not with that big of strings he's stumped and hates that he is, he's thinking maybe stiffer springs? But he also can't figure out how to take the ones on it off he got pretty rough with them but is afraid to mess it up, if its the nut you all think I will let him know but that's what he first thought it was, he kept it for a week messing with it but he's not a computer guy he's an old hippy so he sent me out to find info for him

Things to check:

Strung up and tuners locked properly
Nut slots cut properly and lubricated
Bridge mounting screws adjusted level, grooves not worn out
Knife edges on the bridge plate not worn out
Saddle surface smooth (no grooves or burrs) where string makes contact

I think I'm going to send it to PRS and have them do a correct set up on it if that's not a bad idea??

I just went thru the same thing with mine. I widened the slots on the nut and added a fourth spring and problem solved.

Back