Tremolo arm screw falling out

AndrewK

Help! I've got a Tremonti SE Custom and the tremolo set screw keeps falling out. I took the tremolo arm out completely and put the screw all the way in, but it seems every time I play the guitar the screw falls out again! Luckily I've found it every time :D

Do other people see this on their trems? Loctite/glue seems too permanent so are there other materials I could put on the screw to keep it in place? Or is there something easier I could try?

Thanks!

Do you mean the one the trem arm snaps into? If so, yes, it is still there. I'm attaching a picture of how it looks after ~10 minutes of playing.

lgZq2Ow.jpg

A trimmed up section of teflon tape would work. In case you don't know, Teflon tape (aka plumbers tape) is used to wrap around the threads of a pipe before installing something like a shower head for example. You can find it at any Home Depot,Lowes, ACE for about a dollar for who knows how many feet. Wrap a bit around the grub screw counter clockwise (over lap the ends a bit) and then screw it in. The tape will provide the friction you need to keep it from backing out by filling up the gaps and it will be easily removable!

Teflon tape works well if you can get it in there and not show. Locktite also makes non-hardening stuff but I haven't tried it on my guitars.

Thanks for the tips guys, managed to add some on last night and so far so good. I didn't cover the top end of the screw so it doesn't show on the bridge but screw seems set tight again! Appreciate all the help.

Back