Tremelo springs and Tremelo things

HarrySound

It's now been 2 and a half years sinceI bought my Custom 24 USA model and I just wondered if i'm correct in thinking that there was a spare tremolo spring included somewhere?
I swear I got one though i might be thinking of when I bought my (pre good years) PRS SE guitar in 2009.

I'm looking to make the trem arm stiffer and thought maybe thats what the extra spring is for?
Is this even a thing?

I might just buy a Tremelo-no but they are so over priced, i have to screw into the body of a £3000 guitar and would probably have to have the back plate removed permanently for the option of switching between trem and no trem on the fly, this would leave the screw holes exposed and probably look a bit amateur.
Is it possible to buy magnetic screws to 'convert' a regular black plate and electronic cavity to magnetic ones? that would be super useful.

I don't recall my trem guitars coming with any extra springs. You can certainly add a fifth one and adjust the claw so it floats evenly. That will stiffen it up.

You could also do a partial block, so that it functions down only. That will make it very stable.

I had an original Tremol-No and I liked it. But I got a new one at the end of last year and was not impressed with the quality. Sent it back. I don't care about the back plate. I take it off any trem guitar anyway.

You might like the Hipshot Tremsetter.

Well thats something for Mr Smith to add to the next gen of PRS Tremelo then.
I do wish Guitar makers started adding more tech to their guitars like that. None of the Gibson machine head madness but good workable useful tech.

I used 5 springs on my SCT added sustain and made the trem easier to use and more stable but it was just that guitar that needed help ( after I talked to John Mann )
all my other PRS are fine with 4 springs, Yes some of my PRS came with an extra trem spring

Install a ESP Arming Adjust with 2 tremelo springs on each side of it. They are MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to install
and tune to how you want the trem to respond than the Hipshot Tremsetter (I used to use them until the ESP Arming
Adjuster and Goldo Backbox were discovered. ESP is easier to install than even the Goldo Backbox).

You can even set the trem up to pretty much be backstopped (dive down/foward only). I've used every trem stabilizer/blocker
device known to mankind...

https://www.amazon.com/ESP-ARMING-ADJUSTER-Arming-Adjuster/dp/B003C2V8D6

I keep spare ones just in case I buy a guitar with a tremolo... LoL!

If you set enough tension on the Arming Adjuster, you can tighten the heck out of the spring claw with 4 springs total...

The tremol-no wont make you screw into the body of a 3K guitar, it is very non-intrusive in that sense. The other solutions discussed here will.

Have you looked at the Tremmory? http://www.guitarsupgrade.de/en_US
https://www.thomann.de/ie/guitars_u...sX-E7tY_qVy79lkeboyJjZeAIptiNxrMaAjucEALw_wcB
A bit expensive but best of both worlds.

Looks nice... expensive...

While I have to put 4 tiny screw holes into the trem cavity wood, it's hidden behind the trem plate even if I ever remove it. However, if I don't want the effect
of the Arming Adjuster anymore, it can be adjusted to be completely out of the way of the trem block travel on a PRS (like it's not even installed).
Nice that there may be a non-destructive solution, even if it's 3-4 times the cost.

Thanks for the info/link!

Back