trembucker

I picked up a 59/Custom Hybrid trembucker and also had a humbucker laying around, plus there is the one in my Tremonti SE. The center of the PUP poles definitely line up better with the strings on the trembucker. I think it should make a difference but I'm not a mechanical or electrical engineer. I do believe this follows the concept of adding parts and pieces which are less subtractive. Somebody we know talks about that every now and then...

I have three of the same pick ups in three different guitars two of which are trem buckers and one is not. All of the guitars have a tremolo. The one pick up that is my favorite is not a trem bucker!

It should make a difference but I don't think it does.

A trembucker has a longer coil, which means the same number of turns of wire creates a higher resistance rating. Those factors would have an impact on the sound, but I'm sure a smart winder knows how to work with that.

From what I've seen, the USA PRS pickups stick to the classic narrow spacing and that works just fine with their 2 1/16" spaced bridges. I'd be more likely to go for a trembucker on a bridge with a saddle spread of 2 1/8" or wider. The poles create a nice magnetic field, so direct alignment over the poles is unnecessary.

FWIW, the guys over at Bare Knuckle Pickups seem to generally recommend using an F-Spaced bridge humbucker (aka Trembucker) when replacing stock pickups on a trem equipped Custom 24. On the same topic, if someone were to replace their bridge pickup (85/15) on a Custom 24, does anyone know if an F-spaced humbucker will fit in the standard PRS pickup ring designed to work with the current generation of pickups (85/15) with the squared end bobbin covers?

FWIW, the guys over at Bare Knuckle Pickups seem to generally recommend using an F-Spaced bridge humbucker (aka Trembucker) when replacing stock pickups on a trem equipped Custom 24. On the same topic, if someone were to replace their bridge pickup (85/15) on a Custom 24, does anyone know if an F-spaced humbucker will fit in the standard PRS pickup ring designed to work with the current generation of pickups (85/15) with the squared end bobbin covers?

Hi Elgravos - did you find out the answer to these? I am having the same doubt, explicitly for "Covered" Trembucker pickups on PRS rings. Thanks you

From what I remember reading, uncovered f-space will fit, but there may be an issue with a covered f-space pickup. Again, there's no need to use an f-spaced pickup on a PRS guitar except maybe if it has a Floyd.

From what I remember reading, uncovered f-space will fit, but there may be an issue with a covered f-space pickup. Again, there's no need to use an f-spaced pickup on a PRS guitar except maybe if it has a Floyd.

Well, mine has a Floyd so that is why I'd like to fit a set of pickups I custom ordered before knowing they were wider. I sincerely thought the string spacing and not also the overall pickup size was affected by going with a Trembucker. :(

Don't know yet, still looking to find out. Will let you know. To be clear, I'm looking for an answer in connection with an uncovered pickup - specifically referencing the current gen square plastic bobbin shapes on newer PRS pickups - such as 85/15s, and not a "traditional" Gibson style nickel HB cover.

Measure the string spacing over the set of pole pieces closest to the bridge. That will help guide you on how well the pole pieces will line up and will help inform your decision on which spacing you want.

The current PRS made rings are designed to fit a standard covered humbucker. The uncovered "squabbin" pickups are designed to be the same size and shape as a covered humbucker so it fills the inside of the ring and looks "right".

This looks helpful: http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/trembucker-pickup-rings.21561/#post-314201

Measure the string spacing over the set of pole pieces closest to the bridge. That will help guide you on how well the pole pieces will line up and will help inform your decision on which spacing you want.

The current PRS made rings are designed to fit a standard covered humbucker. The uncovered "squabbin" pickups are designed to be the same size and shape as a covered humbucker so it fills the inside of the ring and looks "right".

This looks helpful: http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/trembucker-pickup-rings.21561/#post-314201

Yeah, I think Seymour Duncan's Trembuckers will not fit. However, by looking other pickup manufacturers, it would seem their F-spaced pickups simply change the position of the pole pieces and not the overall dimension of the pickup. Now I am kind of mad as SD it is not very clear on this fact. The quote below from their web site is over simplified and now have caused an issue for me and probably many others. I understand they publish the dimensions, but from a marketing point of view, I should not go that far to at least know this is an important consideration.

"If you’re not sure which spacing your particular guitar requires, simply measure from the centre of each of the E strings. If the spacing is two inches (50mm), you require a Humbucker. If the spacing is greater than two inches, you need a Trembucker."

Thanks, that's a helpful link indeed. "Squabbins" - I knew there had to be a word for it!

Back