Trem on my DGT is making "clinky" noises when I go up or down

phillybri

My trem has started making a lot of "clinky" noises whenever I move the bar up or down.

You can hear what I'm talking about at 3:03 of this video...

How can I get rid of this sound? It sounds particularly obvious when I'm dive-bombing on Eruption...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the trem springs, no? Not sure how to get rid, I'm not a trem guy. It kind of worked as a nice ambient effect in that particular song/spot! I can see why it'd be a problem though. Gotta be a solution.

Maybe this?

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all,great playing and great sounding axe.To me it sounds like my DGT,binds at nut plus I have noisy springs as well.I have my guitar tuned to E flat now and that took away the spring noise( less tension).The binding at nut is still there and it comes through in amp.Will set it up with 10s soon.

Here's what I know. David Grissom, himself, replaced the 'stock' PRS nuts on his own gigging signature guitars(because I asked him) with(and I quote)..."A variation of Delrin that lasts longer and is good for keeping the trem in tune". We didn't ask the him where he got them because I believe that would be something he'd like to keep to himself. You can also purchase a pair made from the latest material from the PRS Website. And I've used one of those to replace an old one in my 2000 McCarthy. It fit perfectly since it was cut for '10's'.

Also for trem springs that don't behave, I've(in the past) stuffed them with plain old ordinary cotton from cotton balls.

Had my 2023 core DGT sent back to PRS because it would not stay in tune. They replaced the bone nut with a synthetic nut and its been in tune since.
I then had a scratchy toggle switch and the neck pickup started to cut out. This is a new guitar. I asked PRS if I could try Deoxit D to see if it would help. I didn't want to send it back again. They gave me the ok .. and it worked. New guitar .. pickup cutting out .. scratchy toggle switch ... I'm puzzled why a brand new guitar would need to have this done. And .. the guitar sounds great.

Also make sure the 6-point trem screws are completely level.
Other than that, shrink tubing in the trem springs and a well adjusted and lubed nut (Big Bends Nut Sauce!) should fix the problem. Also, muting the strings behind the nut may be helpful when playing with a lot of gain. I use one of these.

Had my 2023 core DGT sent back to PRS because it would not stay in tune. They replaced the bone nut with a synthetic nut and its been in tune since.
Not Idea Why PRS Uses One Nuts On Trem Guitars...Or At All. The Synthetic They Use Are Excellent And Far Less Trouble IMO.

It’s called physical therapy, jerk. I have lower back problems.

… and the fishnets are naturally moisture wicking and kinda breathable.

I thought you'd worked that into your performances.

tenor.gif

Back