Trem back plate, on or off?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Luminandy, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Luminandy

Luminandy New Member

I don't know if this subject has been covered here, but, it didn't come up in a search. Just wondering what you trem users prefer and why.

2. Jon van derlim

Jon van derlim New Member

Off

Dunno why just looks cool.

3. Shauncho

Shauncho Mr. Impatient

funny you just ask this question, I was reading this collection of guitar tone enhancement tips yesterday and one suggestion was taking the trem back plate off. Supposedly Eric Johnson does this and swears by it's ability to increase gain. and also suggested sticking foam rubber through the core of the springs to help minimize the reverberation that gets lost in the springs. I was thinking about trying these out for my old Jackson that just sounds wimpy, thin and frail.

4. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

I took mine off, didn't really notice a difference. Never put it back on though. I couldn't tall you where it is now. :)

5. Shauncho

Shauncho Mr. Impatient

Hahaha, that's the same reason I haven't taken mine off yet. I know i'll lose it.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

On.

Because it's already on and I don't know why I'd need to get in there and mess with things very often. And the guitar sounds fine with it on.

Also keeps the belly button lint out of the springs.

7. crushpoint

crushpoint The Lotus Eater

On. At all times. (Unless adjusting the trem, obviously)

8. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

I got in the habit of leaving it off on my Strat. Occasionally, a ball end would come out at an angle that went under the back plate. It was annoying and slowed me down.

I carried that habit over to my CU24, and then when I added the Tremol-no, leaving it off made more sense for keeping access to the thumb wheels.

9. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

It's behind the chair.

10. Tag

Tag New Member

And I thought I was the only one. :redface: Unless I am at REALLY loud volumes, I can hear a difference between plastic backing plates, wood backing plates, and no backing plates. Each has its own advantages, and I like them all. No backing plate gives the loudest, acoustic like sounds, especially at low volumes, but seems to decrease sustain just a little bit. I also like the springs a little tighter than stock, because it rings a little more natural to my ears. (More like natural room reverb)

11. gball

gball New Member

My PRS' don't have trems but I have always left them off my Strats, at first because it made string changes and adjusting the trem easier, but I also eventually came to believe it sounds better with them off.

12. shallbe

shallbe New Member

On. Always. I like the trem spring reverb thing, and would never want to stop it. Plus, with it off, my shirt tail can get up in there playing gigs and stop that action or just mess with trem return to pitch.

Lastly, I think it looks dumb. Don't care what famous player does it, don't care that the Santana model doesn't even have one, I just don't like it. Springs and solder don't look cool to me. YMMV, but it is like thinking looking at the back of your pots and switches is cool.

13. swede71

swede71 Tja ba!L├Ąget?

Im not sure about this plate on or off discussion but i know if you have noisy springs and have plate off your clothes damp them.

14. Egads

Egads One, Two, THIRTEEN!

I tried taking the back plate off my Mira, but just couldn't seem to figure out how.

15. Christopher Horton

Christopher Horton New Member

I dont think the back plate makes much of a difference. HOWEVER-
    If you play high gain anything, I suggest putting some foam in your springs. Or electrical tape on them, or buy the plastic coated springs. This does make a difference, as you wont get any ringing sounds from the springs when youre playing.

Steve vai puts tissue in his trem cavity to achieve the same thing.

16. markintime

markintime Wood Grain Devotee

Mine stays on. I believe it was put there for a good reason, whatever it was. Might think about foaming the springs though, sounds interesting even though I've never noticed it probably because I don't play loudly enough, hmmph.

17. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

18. jfine

jfine New Member

I've always left mine on. If you're really concerned about what effect it has on your tone, try it both ways and see which one you like better (or even if you can tell the difference--I'm not sure that I can!) Besides, both Brent Mason and PRSh signed the trem backplate on my Brent Mason Model--the only way it's coming off is if the signatures start to wear off!

19. watelessness

watelessness Member

apparently I'm in the minority, but I admit to getting shirt tails lodged in the mechanics of the trem unit on my Santana. thus, I leave the covers on for the other models.