Trem arm bends

soundbee

The standard trem arm that came w/ my cu24 seem very "parallel" to the body. It does have some angle - but not as much as my strat's arm. Are there differently angles bars available from the factory? If not, what's the best way to custom "bend" a stock bar (without breaking it)?

-kevin

I don't think there's any different trem arms available from the factory. Is your trem sitting correctly? E.g. parallel and with a 1/16" or 1.6mm gap?

I'm not sure if the stock one is stainless steel or nickel plated steel (someone can confirm). Stainless does work harden but you should be able to put the short end in a vice (with some soft jaws), put something hollow over the long end (to give you more leverage) and give it a bend to open it up a little. If it's nickel plated there is a risk of the plating cracking off when you bend it.

Good luck!

Yes - the setup is correct - parallel w/ body, etc...

I'll give the vice a go - have got to go pick one up actually (now I've got a good excuse).
Good point on the tube for leverage. I just want the middle part tilted up a bit. The worst case if I f***up, I'll just need to get a new trem arm. Probably should have an extra one lying around anyways. ;-)

Yes... I make various arms, with different lengths and bends.

We are just about to announce our new, and approved HML arms. Howard commissioned me to make him some to his specs. They are a bit shorter and have a sharper bend. More info to follow...

BTW... the arms are made from precision ground stainless steel.

Dont use a vise to open up the radius on your trem arm. Place arm on a pipe that that has a larger radius and use hammer to TAP the outside of the arm. It doesn't take a lot so go easy. A vise will mess up your arm and you won't bend it where you want it bent. I have screw jacks in my basement and the threaded part is solid enough to do this on.

Use a strat trem. They fit perfectly. Then you get the white tip too, that matches the pickup-rings and 3-way swith tip. Funny. I had this exakt complaint years ago.

Now when are we gonna bring up the madness that is that the nut is black :girl::dontknow::eek:

Last edited:
I put mine in a vice to get a newer one to match one that I liked that had a slightly different bend - less is more.

Now when are we gonna bring up the madness that is that the nut is black :girl::dontknow::eek:

The special materials used in the nut (that as I understand it even include metal impregnation) mean that it's black. It's not a decor/color choice kind of thing.

If you spec a private stock you can get bone. Or you can go aftermarket if it means that much to ya, but you may sacrifice something in doing the aftermarket thing. ;)

The special materials used in the nut (that as I understand it even include metal impregnation) mean that it's black. It's not a decor/color choice kind of thing.

If you spec a private stock you can get bone. Or you can go aftermarket if it means that much to ya, but you may sacrifice something in doing the aftermarket thing. ;)

Yee I know. I don´t understand why they use only black plastic tips on the trem thou. And my Cu24 has a black tip on the blade-switch too. Bought a white fender tip, but it did not fit :( To me that don´t match all that good when the pickup-rings are white. But yee these are just minor things.

Yee I know. I don´t understand why they use only black plastic tips on the trem thou. And my Cu24 has a black tip on the blade-switch too. Bought a white fender tip, but it did not fit :( To me that don´t match all that good when the pickup-rings are white. But yee these are just minor things.

They can never go back.

I guess Paul thinks that the shoes, belt and purse don't have to match. ;)

But you can get really nice custom parts, including trem arm tips, knobs, TRCs, rings, and switch tips, etc, that will fit PRS here: http://www.crazyparts.de/sports/index.php

I guess Paul thinks that the shoes, belt and purse don't have to match. ;)

I dont care if my shoes match my purse when I take that, but I take my pocketbook most of the time, and that they HAVE to match.

:eek:

Is it ok to bring the arm right down to the guitar body? That's some whammy bar dive.... surely not good for the trem/bridge?

Yup. I make various types (not shown on website yet)

I do make an HML approved arm which is shorter and bent more like a Str**t

Hit me up...

Back