TREBLE BLEED KITS

helmi

single & satin
what value's are you guys using for treble bleed kits for humbuckers? are you using both caps and resistors or just either/or?

I use a V-Treb so I don't have to swap components as much. Kinda nice. :D
semods3.jpg

Just to make sure - you do know that most PRSs comes with treble bleed stock, right? :)
Not all treble bleeds are alike. And I should qualify...this shot is from my SE One which benefited from the tonal expansion and control. The average core PRS has an adequate treble bleed cap installed, agreed.

Mixstar, I only use it on my "tough to tame" guitars. It can do great things to a tone circuit.

Not all treble bleeds are alike. And I should qualify...this shot is from my SE One which benefited from the tonal expansion and control. The average core PRS has an adequate treble bleed cap installed, agreed.

Mixstar, I only use it on my "tough to tame" guitars. It can do great things to a tone circuit.

Hey hold on! So I have a CE with hfs that were way to high on the treble side. Your saying this thing can bleed out some of those highs out?

Hey hold on! So I have a CE with hfs that were way to high on the treble side. Your saying this thing can bleed out some of those highs out?

The opposite, actually :) A treble bleed is a way to retain the highs as you roll off the volume.

Work with the tone knob instead :)

I have the Stewmac treble bleed on one or two guitars. I notice the PRS circuit still loses a little when turned down on clean tones, but more even across the board with gain. The Stewmac circuit is kind of the opposite, it sounds even everywhere clean, but can be very bright turned down with gain.

I use it to effectively shelve some of the harsh treble on my SE One. So, yes, you can dial out some of the treble. It's used in conjunction with the tone pot. And I totally agree on the HFS.

I was at the Paul Reed Smith clinic at Peach guitars last Friday, and in the Q&A section someone asked Paul this exact same question. A five minute explanation of treble bleed capacitors ensued. Paul said that he had tried loads of different values and that 180 pF was the best value.

Just for information. Treble bleeds allow the high end to be retained while the mids and lows roll down as you roll down the volume; and as the 'power' is in the low end, the grunt gradually disappears and the sound cleans up without appearing to get quieter.

That is quite true, Peter (and welcome!). The V-Treb has a fixed capacitor (it's a nice small tantalum) and a trimmer pot which allows you to fine tune your tone circuit. It's a fancy RC circuit that eliminates the need to swap different resistors to find what you want. Remember: no treble bleed works when the volume pot is on 10.

Experimentation will be the only option to find values that work for you (we're all different and like different things) solder a couple of wires to the in and out of the volume pot(s) and run then to a piece of prototyping board and just try different values. You may find this link useful:

I use the Kinman version on my Strat which has Seymour Duncan JB Juniors and at 5 it's almost completely clean through to 10 where it's a full on roar without having to change anything on the amp. The 180pF in my new SE custom works well, but I haven't used it on a gig yet - always the true test.

Back