Treble bleed for SE 245

Dld33

Hello, new to the forum. Hoping to get some advice.

I'm thinking about doing a treble bleed mod for my SE 245 however the more I read about this, the more confused and leary I'm getting about doing this. So I have some questions and looking for some advice on what to do.

1. I thought I read that some models already have this mod on the volume pots? Did I read that correctly and if so, does the SE 245 already have this? Judging by my ears, I'd say no but I haven't looked yet to confirm.

2. If this model doesn't have it, what are the recommended capacitor values to use? I've read different values give different results.

3. I read this mod is simple to do. Is it recommended for someone who does not normally solder and/or tinker with electronics to even attempt this, for fear of screwing something up. Or should I let my local guitar shop do it and pay the extra $$?

Thanks in advance

1. I don't think SE models have the treble bleed cap. At least they didn't used to. A quick look at the volume pots will tell you for sure.

2. I like the 180pf used by PRS just fine. I have used 220pf and 330pf with good results, too. I've had 1nf in a couple of guitars, but that value can be overkill for some pickups. The higher the cap value, the brighter the tone when you lower the volume control.

3. It is very simple to do; easier than a pickup swap. Only catch is you need a soldering iron, solder, and needle nose pliers; plus an alligator clip or two will make it easier. You can buy that cheaper than you can pay someone, plus you can experiment with different values if you do it yourself. Depends on your level of DIY gumption, I guess.

I sometimes feel that the 180pf isn't quite enough, but I'm nit picking, and a lot of that depends on the rest of your rig and how you play. Often with a playing style of a crunchy amp and rolling back for cleans, it's plenty, seems to be more treble kept in, but if you're dead clean and then turning down, it can still get a little darker. Not in a terrible way. I would get a few values and try them with alligator clips, play for a while and see what you like.

Back