Travis and the Musical Theme Of The Day

All my favorite bands use accodians...

tmbg0105pics02.jpg
weird-al-yankovic-616x400.png
Flogging-Molly-2017-282-1040x635.jpg
full
01.jpg

They all use accordions....none use PRS. Must be doing something wrong.

Great.

WHAT?!?!? Egad. Allow me a slight sidebar to edumucate youse guys...starting with Curve:
...the latter with the mighty Debbie Smith (later joining Echobelly) on guitar and ...uh... aping.

Stabbing Westward opened for Depeche Mode a couple times.
And you should be well familiar with the effect used at 0:54:

I will admit that Legendary Pink Dots/Tear Garden were a bit underground (and much more synth based), since they didn't really fall into any one category, but they had a healthy following. Golden Palominos was a Bill Laswell produced project.

But here's one more from Stabbing Westward. I tended to like this whole umbrella category that I called hard pop -- Garbage, godhead, Stabbing Westward, God Lives Underwater, Gravity Kills, Gary Numan (although he didn't really sound like any of the others, his blending of synthesizers and guitars in the 90s elevates him to minor deity status in my heart), KMFDM, Nine Inch Nails...

Last edited:
We must've been in a different 90's 'cause I feel the same way.
Of all eMpTyV that I watched, I was most devoted to a late night show for alternative music called 120 Minutes. Does that explain all...or at least some?
I know Garbage...seemed to have missed the rest. Graduated high school in '91 and college in '95....WTF was I doing in the 90s?
Getting laid, perhaps?

I will admit that Legendary Pink Dots/Tear Garden were a bit underground (and much more synth based), since they didn't really fall into any one category, but they had a healthy following. Golden Palominos was a Bill Laswell produced project.

But here's one more from Stabbing Westward. I tended to like this whole umbrella category that I called hard pop -- Garbage, godhead, Stabbing Westward, God Lives Underwater, Gravity Kills, Gary Numan (although he didn't really sound like any of the others, his blending of synthesizers and guitars in the 90s elevates him to minor deity status in my heart), KMFDM, Nine Inch Nails...
Wow, I loved God Lives Underwater!

Wow, I loved God Lives Underwater!
Me, too. I actually got to talk with them once, as an assistant to a journalist. Really great guys, very sharing, somewhat silly. We waxed poetic over the Quadraverb GT (they had several). The journalist ended up not being able to use any of the interview, unfortunately. I mourned when I heard about David in 2005. Way too young.

I've never heard of this band
They're great. I think more British people would have heard of them than 'Muricans. But when Garbage first came out, a lot of Curve fans accused them of ripping off their sound. I love them both for entirely different reasons, but I can hear the argument they're making. And knowing what I know now about Duke, Steve, and Butch, I don't think they were copping their sound, rather, they just liked a lot of the same things. See also my comment to Sergio about being interested almost exclusively in non-popular musics. I was quite the contrarian back in the day. I've since come to appreciate Led Zeppelin, but I could spend the rest of my life never hearing another Beatles or Stones tune and die quite happily.

Of all eMpTyV that I watched, I was most devoted to a late night show for alternative music called 120 Minutes.

Absolutely! I was aware of most of the bands you mentioned from a job I had with SPIN magazine fresh outta high school. I had to track their sales numbers with local record stores, and while the music was good... I didn't think too many people were listening to it, Garbage and Stabbing excluded.

It was a weird time for MTV, 120 mins. basically got inundated with all the stuff they were playing during the day anyway with a few exceptions, same with Headbangers Ball.. when alternative became mainstream and a big muff could appear in the charts.

Regardless, at that time I was still listening to punk/hardcore, started playing in an acid jazz band, was going to dance clubs, and was living in the middle of the Chicago Indie rock scene, and basking in the 90's hiphop renaissance. So for me it was Orange 9mm, Quicksand, Jamiroquai, Brand New Heavies, Deee-Lite, Shellac, Tortoise, The Pharcyde, and Jeru the Damaja (to name two from each genre).

I loved 90's music, but it still wasn't the stuff that you regularly heard on the radio. It's crazy how diverse the music was then, even though if most people were writing up a playlist or buying a "90's Invasion" CD it'd be like, Nirvana and Pearl Jam or some sh!t.

Me, too. I actually got to talk with them once, as an assistant to a journalist. Really great guys, very sharing, somewhat silly. We waxed poetic over the Quadraverb GT (they had several). The journalist ended up not being able to use any of the interview, unfortunately. I mourned when I heard about David in 2005. Way too young.
Wow I had no idea he passed away. Bummer to hear the sad news

Back