Travel Guitar

Not a PRS but for trips were I'm on the road for a while or really don't have the extra space for a full size travell guitar I use this. If I have the space I use my SE Santana.

Traveler Guitars pro series maple.

Completely passive no batteries needed. The rest unscrews and re-attaches to the other side for easy transport in gigbag.

Features a stethoscope for private practice.

Last edited:
I have a Traveler Sonic listed on Reverb for a stupid cheap price if anyone is looking for a good travel guitar.

This topic will be awesome if covid hasn't been. So many locations to visit, but I don't have the opportunity. I have tried to find a place to go, but everything is locked up. Now I try to find something in my country. I think the attempt to find an aquapark or a swimming pool won't be that hard. I have checked a lot of sources about Raleigh and found more info here. It seems like Raleigh is safe to visit in all ways. After Raleigh, I would like to see more cities. I think it could be California and New York.

Last edited:
Another vote here for the Boss Katana Air. Sounds great, loads of effects, has a pretty decent phone app if you choose to use it, wireless ‘bug’ works really well, works as a Bluetooth speaker and can run on batteries. Plus it weighs nothing. When I’m playing in the house it’s my ‘go to’ amp at the moment. The only negative is that it’s a little bit pricey.

As for the guitar, if you absolutely have to have a PRS for this then yeah, the SE range has some fine instruments in it. I’m a fan. Personally I don’t think they look great if they get a little dinged up, so I might choose a cheap Tele or something. At least then it’ll be worth more once it’s ‘road worn’!

The ultimate travel guitar - Steinberger GL.

They are not cheap but they are real guitars. I’m not talking about a Spirit but the real USA made carbon fiber instrument.

I’ve travelled around the world with mine. No regrets.

I’ve tried some of the travel guitars and wasn’t very fond of them.

Last edited:
My wife and I traveled to Colorado early this Summer for a two week trip. I knew I would go nuts without a guitar and thought long and hard about getting a Traveler, a headless guitar, some other small package. Ultimately, I decided to take my Silver Sky in the much maligned gig bag (which is a lot smaller than my Mono and stronger than my old Fender gig bag. I was so glad I did that. I played the guitar every day for at least an hour or more and never felt like I was under equipped during much needed me-time.

I have never done that on a flight before, much less cross-country, but it was actually pretty non-eventful. The main flight was a big jet and there was room in over head on the first leg and on the second leg there was one of the old closets and the attendant offered to me without asking. We were also on a much smaller jet for a small portion of the flight and it fit in the overhead. I just did my best to get on early and find an empty bin before the rest showed up. I would never do that with a higher end guitar or semi or full howllowbody, or Gibson, but I was confident the bolt-on would be okay.

The ultimate travel guitar - Steinberger GL.

They are not cheap but they are real guitars. I’m not talking about a Spirit but the real USA made carbon fiber instrument.

I’ve travelled around the world with mine. No regrets.

I’ve tried some of the travel guitars and wasn’t very fond of them.
Can you even get one of them? I really wanted one at one point, but finding one was nigh impossible.

I ended up with a Strandberg, while much less minimalistic, still has a shockingly small gig bag.

yes, they are out there. I’d recommend a specific place to get one. Is it ok to mention the name here though?

I had headless Kiesel guitars (Osiris) for travel which are pretty compact. I would still sometimes unscrew the neck and throw it all in a small suitcase (protected with clothes around it). I'm actually planning on doing this with a cheap Strat on my next travel since I don't have the Osiris anymore. Locking tuners should make this easier. Ibanez also just came out with new headless guitars that look pretty cool.

Before the Osiris I had a $500 Steinberg headless guitar (probably an import) that I did not find that great to practice with. I think the scale might have been slightly shorter, not sure, and the almost complete absence of body just made it weird to hold while playing, especially sitting down.

Also bought the new Fender Mustang micro-amp that sounds pretty good. Replacing a Tascam that I used for travel.

yes, they are out there. I’d recommend a specific place to get one. Is it ok to mention the name here though?
I don't see why not.

I saw a couple of ebay for like 11k, and the ones on reverb weren't much better, maybe like 7k or 5k for one in terrible condition.

I travel with a Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic. I use a POD 2.3 and AKG headphones for practice. I usually also bring my laptop and a small Focusrite interface. I have my Toontrack software and Protools First installed on there. I am often inspired to write while on vacation, so often in the evenings I'll do a little writing - ideas, sometimes those develop into full ideas.

Hmm, that looks like a tasty device, and would counter-act all of the little compromises that the Traveler guitars induce. Not cheap, of course.

Well, “cheap” is a relative term, but compared to the ridiculous prices on some guitars now, I’d call it reasonable. I found this at Anaheim NAMM a couple of years ago. It’s well-made, has a surprisingly comfortable wide fat neck, and has a nice low action. The humbuckers sound good too. Headless guitars take a little getting-used-to, as I find the head is more of a playing reference point than I first imagined.

Edit, none of the wood is veneer.

Last edited:
While I won't call it a cheap travel guitar, I am pretty happy traveling with my Strandberg.
Haven't taken it on a plane (Haven't been in one in ages, thanks COVID!) but traveling with the car / hotel rooms has been very easy.
The standard soft case is as small as the guitar and weighs less than my laptop backpack loaded with my 14" laptop and a change of clothes...
Sounds great unplugged as well and it's perfect for our holiday home as well, as it can easily hide behind clothes in the closet, so the kids won't find it and use it as a beach toy... :D

DHpWdid.jpg

Hey all,

I have a couple of unusually long trips coming up at the end of this year (2-3 weeks away from home) and have decided that I just cant live without a six stringed instrument for that long. I’m going to bigger cities where I could just become a fixture at a local guitar shop and be “that guy” who hangs out in the store for a few days with no intention of actually buying a guitar, but buys some strings because he feels guilty. So, instead, i’ve been looking at mini traveling guitars. I’m thinking I’ll get a used SE and take my chances with it getting damaged... This will solely be for couch/practice amp use...

So, the question... Does anyone have a travel guitar they love? Does anyone have the opinion that a cheaper SE is the better way to go?

Shortly after I got my 2007 Modern Eagle in 2016, I *knew* I needed a "stunt double", as there was no way I'd fly with it, as I'd had 3 guitars damaged in transit before. I opted for a used PRS SE Semihollowbody, and picked one up for $400 It's not a great guitar but fits the bill. I never got around to upgrading anything but the tuners.

THEN... the PRS SE Pauls Guitar came out. I waited a bit and finally found a used one in red that had upgraded Phase III tuners for $800. THIS guitar is a nice step up, and I'd even gig with it. The pickups are waaay nicer than the older SE's, and the split sounds are really awesome. I also didn't feel bad at all about sanding the neck for a satin feel, so that my new stunt-double/travel guitar feels more like my rosewood necks at home.

So.... did you find anything yet?

Back