Trading Guitar Tips

prs19

I have found someone willing to trade a PRS for a PRS. Both are equivalent in appointments and value. We have agreed on a straight trade.

I’m concerned in doing something outside of some type of escrow. Anyone have any experience doing this? It seems PayPal will but only with a monetary transaction on one side and goods on the other.

I’ve thought of finding a local PRS dealer in his area and one in mine to ship to and paying a small fee to each for their trouble and each holds the guitarnuntil both have arrived.

I hate to be paranoid and I really want to trust the guy but in this day and age I’m concerned I’ll send a guitar I love and get 26lbs of rock shipped to me never to hear from the guy again. :)

Thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If the dealer is going to hold it until the other guitar delivery is confirmed, sounds like you'll be ok.

I’m with you, I wouldn’t be mailing my beloved with no guarantee!

Frankly I’ve never heard of anyone trading by mail.

I've done it a couple of times no issues just look for references on the other forums , reverb and ebay.
Most folks who are doing the trading thing have a track record.

I've traded stuff with forum guys that I "knew" without any issues. Generally we were both part of the place for awhile and had done past sales there and "known good guys" in good standing on said forum. We agreed to both ship by whatever day and provide tracking numbers to each other. Never had an issue. Keep in mind that this was done when both members were frequently there, day in/day out and had references of purchases and sales gone good. Often phone numbers were exchanged as well. There are certain people I would feel perfectly comfortable doing it with today, but I'd certainly be more wary than in the past. I'm not sure how many stores would agree or want to be involved with such a thing? You'd have to get the stores to communicate with each other and agree I guess.

I've traded stuff with forum guys that I "knew" without any issues. Generally we were both part of the place for awhile and had done past sales there and "known good guys" in good standing on said forum. We agreed to both ship by whatever day and provide tracking numbers to each other. Never had an issue. Keep in mind that this was done when both members were frequently there, day in/day out and had references of purchases and sales gone good. Often phone numbers were exchanged as well. There are certain people I would feel perfectly comfortable doing it with today, but I'd certainly be more wary than in the past. I'm not sure how many stores would agree or want to be involved with such a thing? You'd have to get the stores to communicate with each other and agree I guess.

I'm with Vaughn on this one. I'd trade with just about anyone here with no hesitation. Outside of that, I'd do like Rider suggested and check seliling history. I didn't trade last summer with a guy, but there was also some cash involved. Cash wasn't PP'd until tracking numbers were provided. I can tell you this, we were both a little hesitant going in. Exchanging numbers, and talking on the phone helped ease any trepidation.

Thanks for the replies. I will be talking with the guy live tonight.

Based on his Reverb profile he has excellent high quantity ratings and has some nice gear listed.

I’ll share more as I know more.

I'm with Vaughn on this one. I'd trade with just about anyone here with no hesitation. Outside of that, I'd do like Rider suggested and check seliling history. I didn't trade last summer with a guy, but there was also some cash involved. Cash wasn't PP'd until tracking numbers were provided. I can tell you this, we were both a little hesitant going in. Exchanging numbers, and talking on the phone helped ease any trepidation.

I've done it once at TGP and took the phone thing a step further. I suggested we both send each other our business cards and call each other at work. We both had good feedback at TGP and had been there a while, but on a trade with no paypal or ebay to protect you, I thought "better safe than sorry." I'm with Jim though, and would have no problem trading with someone from here.

Thanks all. I decided not to do it. I love the wood library CU24 guitar and was considering a trade for an artist Tremonti. I decided that it just wasn’t worth the headache. Plus I got to thinking that the WL is harder to get in that configuration in the future whereas I could always order the artist in the same configuration. I felt like I would feel like I let this one get away in the future. If I’m feeling that now the only way I’d be happy is if the Tremonti would have blown me away.

Now time to go play it! :)

Late post after your decision but could have sold each other the guitar(s) so that there would be a traceable paper trail. Paypal would protect both of you. Just a thought.
I thought about that. It would have basically just been an extra cost based on the selling price. For the value of each guitar it probably would have cost too much. I don’t think he would have traded unless I paid the fees. Good idea though to get the selling protection.

If they are both "equivalent" .......... why even trade in the first place?o_O
I meant equivalent in terms of value but not the same models. One is an Artist WL 24-08 and another is an Artist Tremonti. Would’ve been different sonic animals but equivalent value.

Back