Trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W. Scott Mohn

Hi,

I am 80. I just joined the forum this month after getting my first PRS earlier this year. They are really wonderful guitars. And they are relatively very easy to play. That is very important to me because, due to arthritis and contracting fingers, it is getting harder all the time for me to play at all.

In April I paid $4,200 for a new Ten-Top 24-08. I actually like it very much and it is still in mint condition. But I later discovered PRS had a JA-15 archtop. After listening to all the YouTube videos of JA-15 guitars that I could find, I was convinced the JA-15 would suit my music better than the 24-08.

However, I live on my retired military pay and I can not afford another large guitar cost. It seems all the JA-15 guitars I have seen are a few years old and selling for about what I paid for the 2020 PRS 24-08. But I have not yet found any seller who wanted to trade for the 24-08.

I do not know if sales, or trades, are discouraged on this site. So I thought I would post and see what kind of responses I get.

I live in far northwestern North Carolina. My phone is (336) 928-9836.

I am playing mostly Jazz now and it seems like the JA-15 would be a great guitar for me since I have become convinced that PRS is making the best guitars on the market. Thanks for your help.

Regards, Scott

No sales or trades here.

JA15 is a great guitar. There aren’t that many of them around so you might have to be patient. In all probability you’ll have to buy from one person and sell to another, sadly taking a bit of a hit on your 24-08.

Good luck.
Hi, yes I am expecting to take a hit on the exchange. But I am not a collector and I have gotten interested in Jazz Standards the past three years. And I just think PRS does make the best guitars on the market now. So I will keep looking and hoping to find someone who would consider a trade. My wife would probably do me in if I bought another expensive guitar! :)

Stay safe! A really big concern for me and my wife. We are having a spike in NC. The odds would be against us if either of us caught it! :(

Regards, Scott

Thank you for your service.
You are welcome. I got to play some part-time while I was in the military. I even played a short time with a traveling western show while in Germany. They had Indian Teepees they set up and performing horses. It was kind of fun.

Twenty-five years in the military was a long stint. But the military was fair to me. I am just glad to still be kicking around -- and trying to learn new Jazz songs to sing and play in whatever time I have left. :)

Regards, Scott

Hi APS,

I live up the road, in Traphill - out in the sticks a ways! :) We moved down here in 2002 when my wife and I both retired after working at the Pentagon for some time. My wife has relatives in this area. I did not know what to expect but I have come to like it here better than she does. :) Neighbors and relatives have all been nice to me.

The only drawback for me has been the difficulty of finding singing jobs. I have had a couple of good ones in Sparta and Elkin before the virus hit. I don't play Bluegrass, so that is a handicap. I just played Country part-time while in the military and before we came down here. I played one single 12-string for over 35 years. Now I can't play a 12-string at all due to my finger problems.

After moving down here I began to indulge my longtime interest in Jazz Standards. That is really why I am interested in the JA-15 archtop PRS. Like I said, I have some physical problems that make it very hard to play at all. But I love the Jazz guitar sounds and I still love to sing! And I just love it when people dance to the music.

I had a job for over two years while I was in the military in Colorado Springs, at a place called the Trail Dust Steak House. They had a big dance floor, cooked great steaks, and cut off people's ties when they came in. I started playing two nights a week and ended up playing five nights a week for the last year. I miss that atmosphere. I suspect I will never find it again. :(

So now I carry about 200 Country Classics and about 200 others that are mostly Jazz Standards. I no longer try to keep up with the current Country best sellers. And it has been tough to go from playing three or four chord Country songs to learning more complex Jazz songs. But it gives me something to get up for every day. And when you get older you need that kind of incentive!

I see you have a PRS amp. I have never tried one. I have two great Henriksen amps. They were too expensive for me too. But I am glad I was able to get them.

I hope you are staying safe in Greensboro. We stay in as much as we can. I hope they get a vaccine soon. If they don't, I may not be lucky enough to get to play again. But I keep practicing every day -- just in case!

Regards, Scott

Hi Scott,

I've been up past Pilot Mtn, but not as far west as where you are. Looks like pretty country.

I don't have a JA-15. About as close as I can get is an HB1 with a piezo. I am not really interested in trading it, but if you'd like to come play it and try out a couple PRS amps your welcome. Might even let the HB1 go home with you for a short while to see if you could live with one instead of the Jazz box. You might get a bite on a trade if a hollow body is close enough.

I'm in a semi-rural area and we can both wear face covers if you want to. I use a respirator that takes out .3um particles which includes viruses. Even have one that has a face shield. You are pretty protected at that point.

Let me know

Hi Scott,

I've been up past Pilot Mtn, but not as far west as where you are. Looks like pretty country.

I don't have a JA-15. About as close as I can get is an HB1 with a piezo. I am not really interested in trading it, but if you'd like to come play it and try out a couple PRS amps your welcome. Might even let the HB1 go home with you for a short while to see if you could live with one instead of the Jazz box. You might get a bite on a trade if a hollow body is close enough.

I'm in a semi-rural area and we can both wear face covers if you want to. I use a respirator that takes out .3um particles which includes viruses. Even have one that has a face shield. You are pretty protected at that point.

Let me know

Thank you very much! I have to confess I am hooked on a JA-15 model. I actually have an older hollow-body II with piezo that I traded a Gibson Switchmaster for a week ago. It should arrive this week. So I have that base covered. But the archtop JA-15 remains a guitar I am going to keep looking for. Of course, I was happy to be able to trade for the HB II because buying another expensive guitar really is out of the question.

I really appreciate your offers of assistance. Every PRS owner I have talked to has been great. I really appreciate that.

I am glad to hear you are taking this virus seriously. I know it would be awful if my wife or I caught it.

Do you play professionally?

Regards, Scott

I live a little closer to Traphill than Greensboro. I'm in Winston-Salem.
Hi,

I have to drive into Winston once in a while. My wife is actually still recovering from a serious operation last month at Novant Hospital. And I go out to Kernersville once or twice a year to appointments with the VA hospital there.

If you hear of an available JA-15, please let me know.

Are you a professional musician? I am primarily a singer who is busy trying to learn Jazz Standards. With my finger problems, I can hardly play at all anymore. But I love the sounds of the guitars and it gives me something to practice every day - at least every day my wife doesn't have something else she wants me to do! :)

Thanks for your response!

Regards, Scott

Do you play professionally?
Nope. I played in the usual cover band for a few years, (and setting myself up for ridicule), I played bass. We had a blast. We were all friends and just picked gigs we wanted to do for the adrenalin. We all had day jobs. Haven't played out for a number of years now. I'd like something like that again, but I'm not interested in the bars so aside from an occasional church event, I'm probably not going to have much luck. I'm too busy with work lately to dedicate the time to work up a setlist anyway. Paying for the kids to go to college is a pain but the reward is enormous.

Nope. I played in the usual cover band for a few years, (and setting myself up for ridicule), I played bass. We had a blast. We were all friends and just picked gigs we wanted to do for the adrenalin. We all had day jobs. Haven't played out for a number of years now. I'd like something like that again, but I'm not interested in the bars so aside from an occasional church event, I'm probably not going to have much luck. I'm too busy with work lately to dedicate the time to work up a setlist anyway. Paying for the kids to go to college is a pain but the reward is enormous.
I understand, I am not too far away from having more grandchildren going to college. In fact, two have already graduated.

I actually gave up trying to memorize all the material some time ago. I just play from lead sheets that I have made now. I have about 200 Country Standards and roughly the same number of other music, which is mostly Jazz Standards. It is still hard to play it and recall all the melodies. But, like I have said, old guys need challenges to help them get up every morning!

I found playing with any band a challenge in the past. There are too many competing views. So I just did it myself. I only hope I can find new work after the virus lets up and before I die! :)

Regards, Scott

Thanks, I have been looking. One dealer told me I would like a JA-15 better than an SCJ. I have never played either. The deal had both, but would not trade. :(

I have contacted all the dealers currently listing on Reverb without a positive response. I am afraid if I just sell the guitar my wife will insist I put all the money into the bank. :) Such is life!

Thanks for your suggestion and link!

Regards, Scott

To my surprise, I just agreed to a swap of my 24-08 for PRS SC-J. Wildwood Guitars, people I often watch on YouTube agreed to the straight-up swap. Here is the SC-J below. After my conversation with a deal in New Mexico about a JA-15 being better for Jazz, I was a little reluctant. But I decided to take the deal and hope for the best. Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me. I really appreciate it! Regards, Scott
gqocjhep5jsyy5qnxvb0.jpg

To my surprise, I just agreed to a swap of my 24-08 for PRS SC-J. Wildwood Guitars, people I often watch on YouTube agreed to the straight-up swap. Here is the SC-J below. After my conversation with a deal in New Mexico about a JA-15 being better for Jazz, I was a little reluctant. But I decided to take the deal and hope for the best. Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me. I really appreciate it! Regards, Scott
gqocjhep5jsyy5qnxvb0.jpg
Dude!
I think you will be very happy.

gqocjhep5jsyy5qnxvb0.jpg
I believe you chose wisely sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back