Traded my P245 for a Cu24.

Finally got the PRS I was supposed to get the first time around (sort of).

The whole reason I originally wanted a PRS was because I wanted a high output, 24 fret guitar with a whammy.

Some of you probably know I wound up leaving the store with a McCarty loaded with 58/15s.

A few months later I tried again... and wound up with a P245.

Late last year I got pretty close with an S2 Standard 24 with HFS/VB.... which is a sweet guitar I might add.

Then today I saw this listed at my favourite guitar shop...

Shwing!

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

Only catch... 85/15s. I didn't realize it, but it's a 2017 model. Made in Apr. Barely used, significant mark down and I think it still has the original strings. My P245 had faded to the background as I became more comfortable with the double cut shape and I wasn't using the piezo as much as I intended to, so I let it go.

Still not high output, but the thing sounds really, really good.

Aren't the 85/15s hotter than 59/09s?

My 85/15s measure 7.63 and 8.20... which all things being equal would mean they're not quite as hot as my 58/15s ( which measure 7.79, 7.85, 8.65, 8.68), and probably not as hot than the 59/09s.

I say probably because I don't know if everything is truly equal... may be something I'm unaware of going on under the hood.

I will say that these 85/15s are better than I expected. I've been using PAFs through Rectifiers since 2005, and although I dig them for their dynamic response their top end can be a little hard to tame at times. These seem really balanced to me and single notes are popping through really well with a lot of clarity.

Not sure how much of that is due to the strings... which I'm pretty sure are the stock PRS nickels. I'm a little afraid to change strings right now because the current ones sound great and I don't know anyone who stocks PRS nickel wrapped strings.

Last edited:
Also (and IMO) the in-between positions on the Custom 24 sound better than they do on the 22 fret guitars.

And on that note, how hard is it to add a coil tap? Is it compatible with the stock 5 way?

Finally got the PRS I was supposed to get the first time around (sort of).

The whole reason I originally wanted a PRS was because I wanted a high output, 24 fret guitar with a whammy.

Some of you probably know I wound up leaving the store with a McCarty loaded with 58/15s.

A few months later I tried again... and wound up with a P245.

Late last year I got pretty close with an S2 Standard 24 with HFS/VB.... which is a sweet guitar I might add.

Then today I saw this listed at my favourite guitar shop...

Shwing!

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

Only catch... 85/15s. I didn't realize it, but it's a 2017 model. Made in Apr. Barely used, significant mark down and I think it still has the original strings. My P245 had faded to the background as I became more comfortable with the double cut shape and I wasn't using the piezo as much as I intended to, so I let it go.

Still not high output, but the thing sounds really, really good.

SWEEEEEEET! Hope you love it. I love mine! (but mine is a couple years old had has thos 59/09s)

SWEEEEEEET! Hope you love it. I love mine! (but mine is a couple years old had has thos 59/09s)

I'm just as guilty as anyone when it comes to having product honeymoons, but sometimes I get something and know that it's a keeper. This guitar is one of them.

I'm really digging the neck pickup a lot more than I thought I would. It's midrange is naturally shaped like a lead tone... a mid hump like I have an overdrive on, but there's no overdrive... just clean/clear neck pickup. Not all thin, just a different kind of thick than what I'm used to.

I was worried that with the 85/15s there'd be too much overlap between the McCarty and the Custom 24, but they're both pretty unique. When I pick up the McCarty I hear the blues... when I pick up the Custom 24 I hear 70s rock. I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of this guitar.

The only real issue I have is every time I want to switch pickups I grab the tone knob... but that's a 1st world problem.

Last edited:
Nice guitar. I found the 8515 neck to be incredible as well. I put a set in my Mccarty and love them.

I have a cu24 5909 and I would love to have the coil tap feature installed. I've thought about doing it myself but I don't have any spare time and I already have too many projects waiting to be done.

I have a cu24 5909 and I would love to have the coil tap feature installed. I've thought about doing it myself but I don't have any spare time and I already have too many projects waiting to be done.

In a way, I'm curious about why a coil tap isn't stock... particularly when the S2 Cu24 comes stock with one. I assume it has something to do with 5 way vs 3 way switching, but not entirely sure why.

Truthfully... even through I'd like the coil tap I'll probably leave this guitar stock. I'm having a zen-like moment where I think I should just appreciate the guitar for what it is instead of thinking about what it isn't.

You know how to tell when a guitar is good?

Underplaying.

Oh yeah.....

I feel like I could sell everything except the McCarty and this Custom 24. Everything I need is in these two guitars, everything else just became redundant.

really great , i also picked up a cu 24 about 2 months ago and love it dearly. I hope you're finally happy.

Back