Trade: Sc SE for MiM Tele

auriemma

Still Strummin!
I know what the general consensus will be, but I'm asking any way...

I have been offered a trade for my 2008 Singlecut SE (stock, ex cond). A blem free 2010 MIM Fender Tele (upgraded pickups - coil tapped mini-hums, graphite nut, roller tree, strap locks). I sold my Tele American Special to fund my CE22, and I kinda miss it. My Sc SE is seeing no love in the case since I got my CE and Santana SE. Value wise, I think its about even.

Opinions?

If it didn't have mini-hums...maybe. If you miss your Tele enough I would suggest puttin' a lipstick pup in the neck of your CE, I know a guy who did and really likes it.

Tapable mini hums doesn't sound too appealing to me. If it were a single coil model I think it would be worth adding to the arsenal, based on what's listed in your sig.

if it ain't getting love, do the guitar a favour and trade it! no point leaving it in the case if you're not going to play it. Let it float around, maybe the new owner will love it a lot! :D That said, the mini-hums might not be to everyone's taste, be sure to check it out before trading.

Cool pup. How's it sound with that guitar?

Man, I would say it sounds UNIQUE. .. but if i had to compare with another guitar, i´d say it sounds like a 60s mahogany tele (i dont know if theres a mahogany 60´s but, ok..) but with the amazing PRS feel. The pup is a Fender Vintage Noiseless and its a little bit darker than the original noisy ones wich is perfect to match the bridge humbucker... but its a small difference, its all about pickup height to get the perfect tone.. sounds warm, touch sensitive, and overdriven is as quiet as the humbucker... i´ll record some samples soon to share with you guys!

Julio--there were mahogany-bodied Teles in the '60's. Not very many--they date to around '63-'66. I've never actually seen one in person, but they were in the catalog for a few years. They were mentioned as having a "red-mahogany" finish, and the ones shown in catalogs definitely had a reddish tint to them. Maybe Fender was trying to attract SG players? With rosewood boards--I don't think they go back as early as the maple-board era--they'd have to be warmer-sounding than an alder or ash Tele.

Julio--there were mahogany-bodied Teles in the '60's. Not very many--they date to around '63-'66. I've never actually seen one in person, but they were in the catalog for a few years. They were mentioned as having a "red-mahogany" finish, and the ones shown in catalogs definitely had a reddish tint to them. Maybe Fender was trying to attract SG players? With rosewood boards--I don't think they go back as early as the maple-board era--they'd have to be warmer-sounding than an alder or ash Tele.

Thanks for the info!
Looks like there is a line separating 2 worlds: If you want to go thin an maple/ash, go Fender. If you want fatness and mahogany, go Gibson. Politics inside the guitar world... lol... Now, If you want the 'in between' and perfect guitars, go PRS! :rock:

The single in at the neck looks interesting in a PRS, but I like my Dragon IIs in my CE22.

Well, I made the trade. This Tele is dead mint. I was worried about the sound of the mini-hums (GFS Li'l Punchers - Modern version). These pups are nice and loud. It sounds great, very Tele like, just smoother/warmer at the neck, clear and strong at the bridge... and no noise. The coil tap works great, brings out that Tele bite, just need to up the volume a bit. I like it. I do need to flip the control plate when I get the chance to vol/tone/switch. I just seems the way it should be.

jyrc.jpg
h7em.jpg

u9ja.jpg
q9m0.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like its pretty cool tonal variation. Certainly off the path a bit. I dig it.

looks pretty similar to a bruce springsteen tele haha :laugh: i love black teles, it keeps things simple and classy. hmm...i'd be tempted to switch out the single-coil sized humbuckers, but that's a very personal thing. It looks pretty tricked out already, i guess there's nothing much you need to change to make it play great! i'd "flip" the control plate as well if i had one, makes the volume knob more usable for me, at least in a tight situation.. :cheers: so is this counted as a NGD?

edit: maybe not here but in the tele forums? :biggrin:

Back