Trade in values

Cocorosa

Having surfed the long covid wave for several months and not picked up any instrument, my musical mojo is finally returning and I am thinking about buying a PRS semi-hollow that has been on my wishlist for a while.

I would probably need to trade in a non-PRS against the sale and I wondered if anyone had recent experience of trade-ins given the difficult state many shops find themselves in at the moment, certainly here in the UK? Are trade-ins happening and are they reaching any sensible value?

I've only sold one in the public domain. The price I got was not the best ever, but I didn't take a bath either. It was ok.

I bought a ME V in August, and couldn't do a trade. But the store was just not doing trades on that model. There seem to be a lot of guitars being bought and sold, though. Prices on the used market are up, at least on a lot of PRS guitars. Good luck on your quest!

I’d agree with Tahlee.

Might take a little longer, but at least you don’t lose too much.

My recent selling experience. Reverb has sever me the best so far. Yes you lose 5% to them, and they charge tax, but the people shopping there know what gear is, what you have, and what the real market is. I sold a guitar that was reasonable worth $900 to $950 and got $875 for it. So after fees got around $825. Facebook marketplace is a sea of low ballers. Had it listed there and was constantly getting offers for 650 to 700.

I have a second guitar up on reverb at 875, and am getting some hits with offers around 700 to 750. I do not need to sell, so I have not accepted one yet. For giggles, I went to Guitar Center and they offered me 630 for it and said they would list it for about 1050.

So selling yourself you can move it somewhat quickly and get 90% of your realistic price. Anywhere else you are looking at 70% or so of what the retail market will say it is worth. Also, I am finding brands like Fender and Gibson seem to get tons more interest and offers much closer to retail value. My second for sale is a major brand, but not one of those and the market is much weaker. PRS likely falls somewhat closer to the bitcoin.

I bought a ME V in August, and couldn't do a trade. But the store was just not doing trades on that model. There seem to be a lot of guitars being bought and sold, though. Prices on the used market are up, at least on a lot of PRS guitars. Good luck on your quest!

I did the same exact thing with my ME V. Just sold it on reverb without taking much of a loss.

GC in the states is buying in an attempt to replenish depleted covid stock but they don't pay crap and reverb has been hot but fair. CL they seem to just sit.

My opinion - Reverb yes. Ebay very iffy. GC - big no.

GC - Guitars/Amps/Cabs - No
GC - Guitar Effects - Maybe

If sold to GC, resale profit margin pulls in 30 to 38% of new MSRP sales price. GC then lists the item at 45 to 70% of MSRP new price, dependent on condition, comparable eBay/Reverb trending sales prices, market availability, and current sales.

Hi everyone, this is my first time on this forum, and I'm hoping you all can help me out. I love PRS guitars, and am fortunate to have just inherited an older model from my father. The problem is, it's from the late 1990s (I think), and I cannot find out what model it is, nor its value. I looked at the PRS site but this model appears to be discontinued. It has 3 adjustment knobs and no whammy bar, but it's in like-new condition, as it was hardly ever played.

Based on what I can see on the PRS website, it's most likely a core series, emerald green. Again, just 3 knobs, not 4. Any help is appreciated! I would post photos but this says I need at least 3 posts to prove I'm not spamming.

Eric

Welcome to the forum Eric.

3 knobs on a 90s guitar are volume, tone, and 5 position rotary pickup switching.
First digit on the top of the headstock will identify what year it was made. For example 6 34107 would be a 1996 guitar with serial number 34107 (sequential across all core guitars.

24 frets makes it a Custom 24. 22 frets probably a Custom 22, but there are other candidates.

Hi everyone, this is my first time on this forum, and I'm hoping you all can help me out. I love PRS guitars, and am fortunate to have just inherited an older model from my father. The problem is, it's from the late 1990s (I think), and I cannot find out what model it is, nor its value. I looked at the PRS site but this model appears to be discontinued. It has 3 adjustment knobs and no whammy bar, but it's in like-new condition, as it was hardly ever played.

Based on what I can see on the PRS website, it's most likely a core series, emerald green. Again, just 3 knobs, not 4. Any help is appreciated! I would post photos but this says I need at least 3 posts to prove I'm not spamming.

Eric
Hello and welcome, Eric. Is the guitar a single or double cutaway? If you give us the first number from the back of the headstock we can probably figure out the year. Post anything at all, and you’ll be able to put up pictures soon.

Buying a new guitar is pretty tough during these times. I was thinking about becoming a cfds trader in order to be able to afford new gear, but I have just started learning about this. At one point, I was investing in cryptocurrencies and it was going pretty good until everything had failed. After that, I have decided to be more careful, since I didn't want to risk everything again. I've even spoken with some friends of mine to see which option would be the best in order to invest in something. I love being surrounded by good energy

Last edited:
This is worth looking for opportunities because trading on cryptocurrency is quite a risky business, and you should be careful with it. I prefer to use help from https://mycryptomixer.com/. It is that extra tool that adds a few percent to a successful Bitcoin transaction or any other cryptocurrency. I'm one hundred percent sure about it because I've had experience using it and know how effective it is. I think you will find it very interesting and you will be able to use it too.

Last edited:
You can find actual points in this business and start having good money. I am sure that success will await you.
Do you play basketball? I used to play a lot of basketball, and one thing I know for sure. Points are good! Lots of points, is lots of good. If you score lots of points, then I think you're right that success will await you. But if you don't score lots of points, you gots to play that tough D. That stands for Defense. And "deny" as in "deny your man the ball" or, you know, what wives do when they're not in the mood. Of course, in the case of the latter, success ain't awaiting you. Unless you write a song about it called "I can't get no satisfaction" and then you can make a lot of money over whining about not getting any, and ironically, success is awaiting you again but of a different kind. I guess this is why they say "If you can't get any lovin', you might as well be rich."

Is that what you're saying? If so, I think you're going to fit right in around here.

Back