Touchy subject

I have no insight. My dad trained me to have nerves of steel.

As an observer, an older family member pretty much needs to let it pass. Sadly, not everyone in her life believes that is ok. I think it is fair to take as many breaths as it takes 10 or 10,000.

Last edited:
I used to have some anxiety issues but in my case I have been able to pretty much eliminate it from my life. I am fortunate in that my anxiety had a cause and I was able to curb the behavior that caused it. I was a world class procrastinator and that was what caused my anxiety. I know other people have issues that aren't so easily addressed. I wish you well.

I wouldn’t normally jump into a topic like this, but I’ll say this. No, I don’t or at least never panic. Any time anxiety finds its way in, I consider the source issue and then consider the absolute worst possible outcome of that issue. Then I realize I can live with that if need be and it’ll be ok. And of course the knowledge that being anxious cannot aid the situation, and in fact serves the opposite. Anyway, peace of heart and mind to all.

I believe that to a greater or lesser degree, some anxiety is part of the human condition, and originated as a survival trait when humans were living at the mercy of nature, and had plenty of reason to be anxious and on guard for predators, natural disasters, etc.

Unfortunately, we moderns live in a society in which we perceive lots of stressors that have nothing to do with survival, but we still feel threatened. And we still can become totally stressed out! There’s no outlet for many of these stress triggers, and I think they’re a little different for everyone.

There are times I can be very stressed out.

I’m not a psychologist but I stayed at a holiday inn once… ;)

Oh yeah and they both suck!

Been dealing with it for over 30 years. Mostly social anxiety when talking to anybody. Panic attacks not so much. I used to get maybe a dozen a year but I haven't had any in a couple of years. Maybe due to limited interaction with others because of covid or because I've kicked up my alcohol use a notch. IDK

Cannabis helps fairly well.

Do any of you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks?

We all have problems but sometimes an outsiders perception of the situation can be enlightening.
I had a nervous breakdown about 10 years ago. Anxiety and depression… The gift that keeps on giving. I was on Paxil for a short while; gave up the high stress job (and nice paycheck) and don’t regret it a bit. Had a panic attack when auditioning to play guitar about a year ago (had already played bass for them for decades - go figure). I’ve found that faith (choose what you want to have faith in; your abilities, your family, your support system, your deity…) is my only way through. Until I stop pretending and really trust, the anxiety comes rushing back. We are good at telling ourselves lies, and believing those lies. The truth is right there being hidden by those lies. And to quote an overused phrase, “The truth, will set you free”.

I've used meditation to calm those issues with me and other artists . I've been a martial artist for 30 years. and competed internationally ( silver medal even! ) we use 3 very deep breaths , fully in and fully push out , to clear and refresh , then the discipline allows for a singularity of purpose that eliminates all distraction physical, and spirit

Last edited:
yes, i have. it's all in your head. one must first acknowledge a negative thought pattern, then redirect one's self to thinking about something different without getting angry or disappointed in one's self. as far as the physical aspects, no, you wont drop dead, you wont pass out - just move around to burn off the pesky chemicals, and shove the thoughts aside so that you can move on. life is 10% the things that happen to you and 90% how you react to them so you can still get an A if you handle difficulties well. as much as "it's all in your head" can come off as a sarcastic cliché, it is not intended as such. just change the way you think. it can take time to unwind a spiral but the momentum builds exponentially. you can do this!

Use the CALM app or the HEADSPACE app for mediation on a daily basis. They are very popular for a reason. Also, the book entitled "Unwinding Anxiety" by Dr. Judson Brewer is very insightful. You have to become less attached to your thoughts and feelings. It's not easy but it's possible.

yes, i have. it's all in your head. one must first acknowledge a negative thought pattern, then redirect one's self to thinking about something different without getting angry or disappointed in one's self. as far as the physical aspects, no, you wont drop dead, you wont pass out - just move around to burn off the pesky chemicals, and shove the thoughts aside so that you can move on. life is 10% the things that happen to you and 90% how you react to them so you can still get an A if you handle difficulties well. as much as "it's all in your head" can come off as a sarcastic cliché, it is not intended as such. just change the way you think. it can take time to unwind a spiral but the momentum builds exponentially. you can do this!

Well it sounds good on paper. And no I can’t do this! 45 years of this shite ping ponging in my brain.

Thx anyways!

I've had several anxiety issues. Meditation was one of the things that rewired my brain (proven science) and that helped a lot. Next I did a full brain remap using psilocybin (established science) a few years back and anxiety and depression vanished. However, this spring after an endless winter here and a loss in my life it came back. I took a microdose (1/3 gram) of psilocybin during severe anxiety and I felt relief in about 20 minutes. Followed it with another mirodose days later and have had no issues since.

Well it sounds good on paper. And no I can’t do this! 45 years of this shite ping ponging in my brain.

Thx anyways!
These are the most anxious times in my long memory. Clinical psychologists report anxiety and/or depression are the most common symptoms they treat. So you are not alone.

I have done a lot of “ping ponging” in my day. I had to organize my time better, stop overcommitting and slow things down. Exercise, as simple as a ten minute walk outdoors was a help. I am still prone to “rolodexing” but have realized I can really only focus on one thing at a time, and I cant make everyone happy.

Talking to a professional can be the best solution but not so easy for everyone to do.

Do any of you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks?

We all have problems but sometimes an outsiders perception of the situation can be enlightening.
It's not a touchy subject--or, at least, it shouldn't be nowadays. Anxiety and panic attacks are very real, even if those pesky out-of-control thoughts in your head might not be grounded in reality; but the condition and its effects are real. And it's not a rare thing, either.

I've had panic attacks and still deal with anxiety. I will say that for me--once I've recognized what it is--over time I've started to "compartmentalize" and somewhat isolate those thoughts and the panic into a "it's okay, I know what's happening here, and I'll be all right" place in my brain. But what's easier for some people might not be as easy for others; you may find your own way to manage it.

Prescription drugs are an option too, and are also nowhere near as rare and certainly not taboo as people might think. (On the contrary, they're one of the most popular class of drugs being used today.) Have a frank conversation with your doctor and see what works for you.

I started having panic attacks a year or so before the pandemic. Fully blown ones where every alarm in my body was going off at once, my throat feeling totally closed, getting off the train NOW, needing to shed coats or constraining clothes, etc.

I went thru 5 different meds, they worked great for me but each had side effects that really were hard to live with (peeing every 5 mins, violent leg twitches, insomnia, suicidal thoughts…)

After a couple of years, I wanted to try life off the meds. Weaning wasn’t terrible, but then there was withdrawal which I dealt with via edibles.

I’m OK most of the time, but sometimes the anxiety starts to creep back and then I have to fight the “oh no is this all starting again” thoughts.

I've dealt with anxiety attacks and depression for about 20 years or so now. I was very lucky - the first anti-depressant I got worked. I had friends who went through several before they found one that worked for them. Same with my anxiety meds. The combination of meds, therapy, and coping mechanisms worked wonders. I've been off the meds for a long time, although I'll still have the occasional anxiety attack. And it's rarely a spiral, it's almost always instant onset. I've had them in the morning before I even realized what day it was.

The most important thing is realizing you have a problem and getting help.

Back