Torero or SE Floyd?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by justmund, Jul 23, 2015.

1. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

Been thinking I need a home for some uncovered \m/s in my drawer. I also haven't bought a guitar forms while, and I also don't have anything with a Floyd (nor a Singlecut for that matter...)

The Torero is interesting me, mainly because of the neck-through and Ebony board without inlays. I don't really like binding but there's a couple of white ones still floating around, and they have black binding which is fairly stealth.

The other option is 30th Anni SE Floyd, the only colour I like is the Grey Black (quilt), and they don't have binding.

So... which one has the better upper fret access? I've not played a PRS neck-through before.

I'm assuming the ebony board/neck-through combo would make a more traditional metal guitar yeah?

I'll prob do some other mods (brass block, maybe Gotoh 1996/OFR etc)

2. juka

juka Pioneer Of The SCF

If you want a Singlecut AND a Floyd AND are willing to spent serious money, send me a PM and maybe we can arrange something :eek:

3. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

Ha nah with the AUD how it is these days (25% down on a couple of years ago) I won't be buying anything core for a while, let alone PTC modified ones!

4. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc “Evil” Sergio. You can tell by the goatee

I'm not even hearing you talk about a Floyd when I know you gotta couple spare Milcom/MannMade trems in the parts drawer. :dontknow:

5. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

Well I'll have 2 spare core trems one day (when I get around to swapping them out). I could just chuck one of those on a SE/S2 something.

Although I can't believe you just tried to talk me out of getting a white guitar...

6. sergiodeblanc

I would say you could get a white SE Santana instead, but since you haven't fallen in love yet with the last Santana I talked you into.... You might not want to listen to me anyway. :flute:

Go for the Torero, you might have to drill for a ground wire on that guitar because of the factory EMGs, but you'll definitely need a third \m/ pickup. :D

7. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

To be fair, I didn't need much talking! It will get there, but I did put 2 small dings in it today mucking around with it. Doofus. I never do that!

You're right about the 3rd pickup, I was considering not but yeah, it would be mine if it didn't have one!

Maybe I should focus on the guitars that I have and finish those projects before I move onto a new one...

8. Raven17

Raven17 Raven Lunatic

Metal = EMG = Torero is a screamer, low fast action, great access, Ebony yup, you hit it. Sold it because I have Multiple USA shredder guitars that were better
    SE Floyd = much more versatile, better looking (IMO), I was actually impressed enough to sell it....lol, and bought a core CU24 Floyd

No help I know

9. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

It helps dude coz the core Floyd has \m/s right?

If I went the Torero and whacked the \m/s in it, it would sound pretty close to the core Floyd, same pickups and neck/board/body/cap wood.

I'm not actually sure another full size bucker would fit inbetween the stock ones? Anyone got a ruler handy?

10. gush

gush She said "huge bag of dibs".

Sorry to derail thread but does anybody know why the m pickups have wires coming out the side? Kind of strange.

I put a set in my McCarty and they sound pretty good. Very tight tone no mud what so ever.

11. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

No idea. TBH I haven't even looking at mine that closely. Maybe something to do with them being ceramic?

Pretty sure I've made a decision and well, it's probably not going to be a Floyd, and Sergio is probably going to love it. Lots of other things on the go so will be a long term project methinks.

12. sergiodeblanc

Good! Put a few more in there so I can afford it if you decide to sell.... and yes. You gotta have three, it's your thing.

Can't wait!