Top wrapping a McCarty 594?

bchi123

Has anyone tried to top wrap a McCarty 594? I come from a background of playing mostly Les Pauls, and like to top wrap them for a more slinky feeling. I already use 8s, and prefer not to go any higher in string gauge.

If you have would you let me know how to go about it on the McCarty 594 style tail peace? Thanks in advance!

I don't see how it'd be possible given the cut-outs in the design. Have you tried raising the height of the tail piece though? Top wrapping helps because it flattens the angle where the strings cross the bridge; raising the height of the tail piece will (somewhat) do the same thing

I don’t think you can do it in the stock bridge. Looking at it, I did note that the angle of the strings going over the bridge is already very similar to my wrapped Les Paul, and is nothing like the stock Les Paul angle. It’s possible this was already considered in the design, or maybe just a “happy accident” as Bob Ross used to say. :)

Top Wrapping Isn't Possible Or Necessary Based On The Parts Used And The Angles Of Everything Involved. As Said Prior, Top Wrapping Alleviated The Massive StringTension/Angle Of That Guitar's Design And Parts Used. The 2 Piece System PRS Utilizes Solves That Problem Along With The Overall Guitar Design Etc. Raising The Rear Piece Flattens The Angle To Some Degree But With 8's I Am Not Sure How Much More Mileage You Will Get (If Any) By Doing So. Are 8's Too Difficult For You To Play Tension Wise?

Ah I see, thank you all for answering my question about top wrapping. Just coming from my Les Pauls (all top wrapped), even tho im using 8's for all them, my Les Pauls feel slinkier due to what I thought could be the top wrap than my McCarty 594. If there was a way for me to get my 594 to be as slinky, it would really set the playability to the next level. 8's aren't difficult for me to play, it just feels different in comparison.

I suggest looking into refining/checking your guitar's setup.
In general, PRS guitars are surprisingly slinky with 10s.

Ah I see, thank you all for answering my question about top wrapping. Just coming from my Les Pauls (all top wrapped), even tho im using 8's for all them, my Les Pauls feel slinkier due to what I thought could be the top wrap than my McCarty 594. If there was a way for me to get my 594 to be as slinky, it would really set the playability to the next level. 8's aren't difficult for me to play, it just feels different in comparison.
I have gone through the whole top wrapping thing with other guitars and I don’t think I like it any better.

I don’t think you can do it in the stock bridge. Looking at it, I did note that the angle of the strings going over the bridge is already very similar to my wrapped Les Paul, and is nothing like the stock Les Paul angle. It’s possible this was already considered in the design, or maybe just a “happy accident” as Bob Ross used to say. :)

Certain brands and types of say an 008 gauge sets are slinkier than others. Also, getting pure nickel roundwounds are slinkier than your typical hex core steel strings……. Elixirs are slinky as well…. GHS makes a thin core string that I use on my PRS‘s that are slinkier due to the thinner inner core……

So I was searching the forums to see if people ever raise the tail piece on their 594's, and I tried it myself in efforts to try to make it slinkier feeling. It indeed worked, but when doing this, I would have to sacrifice tone. My 594 has a really great woody type sound when I screw the tailpiece all the way into the body. Along with my action settings (1.5-1.6mm high e 12th string/2.25-2.5mm low E), the sound is awesome and sustains for days.

My only compromise at this point is to lower the action alittle bit to reduce the break angle just a smidgen. I still loose some of that sound quality when doing so, but at least it's slinkier to play somewhat.

Just wanted to follow up on this thread for anyone that was curious in the outcome.

After some reading I decided to try the Faber Tone Locks on my guitar and made a video about it ito record my findings -

Youtube Vid of trying some 594 tail piece mods

I wish there was a PRS Tail Piece stud that was longer than 1 inch so that we could raise the tail piece while keeping it locked in for max resonance.

Just wanted to follow up on this thread for anyone that was curious in the outcome.

After some reading I decided to try the Faber Tone Locks on my guitar and made a video about it ito record my findings -

Youtube Vid of trying some 594 tail piece mods

I wish there was a PRS Tail Piece stud that was longer than 1 inch so that we could raise the tail piece while keeping it locked in for max resonance.
Very cool! How does it feel when playing with the raised up tail piece?

Back