Took my GG bass in to my dealer to hear...

madhermit

A while back I ordered a PRS GG core line bass. It came in around Nov. It is really beautiful and I think it sounds great! The manager of the store I bought it through didn't get to see it when I got it, and the next time I brought it in, he was away on holiday.
So I brought it in today for him to try out. He is an excellent bass player and I really wanted to hear his opinion. He currently own a Fodera bass ($10,000+) and many others.
He sits down with it, plugs it into a Mark Bass head and 4x10 cab. He then starts to play. He couldn't stop for 10+ minutes. He then gets his other bass guy (Mike) to come try it. Same thing. He also plugs in his current bass. There is a huge lack of low/mid punch to it.
Both of them were blown away by it. The second player said he was depressed by how it made his sound. (He did say the GG didn't quite get the P-bass sound, but it did have a close facsimile).
The manager wants to stock them and get one for himself now. Both commented on how percussive and punchy it was, and the versatility!
I am very happy I ordered this bass. I am also surprised at how little I have been able to find online about these basses from owners.
These are great instruments. Word needs to get out!

Last edited:
Agreed. They are amazing. The only problem is that they may force some bassists to stop collecting different basses. These do it (almost) all! They won't have an excuse to buy any new gear. :)

Agreed. They are amazing. The only problem is that they may force some bassists to stop collecting different basses. These do it (almost) all! They won't have an excuse to buy any new gear. :)

In my experience bass players suffer from G.A.S. worse than guitar players. :)

I think bass players may not see PRS as a "legit" bass manufacturer. (A couple of fairly not too successful previous attempts.) Hopefully this bass will blow that thinking out of the water.

Very cool story and believable.

My good friend who is an awesome bassist, has tried everything on the market, he swears by his new GG!

Just got an email from the dealer. And I quote…

"You really messed me up with that bass. Trying to order one for stock now! "

Nice!

Nice.
Yeah, I wish there was more out there on the basses.

Nice but pics or it doesn't exist lol!
I know I'd love to see a gg bass around to try as well. It looks to me like they've fixed everything I was missing on their other basses, but this is one PRS I don't think I could buy without trying.

PRSTrio5_zps3760f503.jpg
PRSGaryGrainger1_zpsdad8a77d.jpg
PRSTrio3_zpscb11d965.jpg

Fixed those for ya!

I asked my local dealer if he was going to get one for store stock because I would love to try one and he said no. Now I have to ask my local GC, or have them order one for me. I have a 1990, which I love and a 2000, which is going to be sold because I don't play it enough (I'm a guitarist, not a bassist). The GG bass really intrigues me and I would really love to try one. My bass player asked me to buy one so he could play it and eventually buy it from me. That might happen....lol

Congrats on a really nice bass!

Very nice! You must feel like you're slapping a lake.
Pickups look to be in about the right spot for a good massive tone. Can't wait to try one out. I'm already thinking of color options :-/

I was also tempted to order one sight unseen... so I did. I was slightly nervous, as they are not cheap... but it is well worth it. Mine is black gold burst, ten top quilt. Pushed my Gibson Les Paul bass right to the back burner, LOL!

japk.jpg

j55k.jpg

0o93.jpg

These are just a couple iPhone pics, I need to get some better shots of it. Awesome bass though! Mine will be seeing stages across the country soon enough!

I asked my local dealer if he was going to get one for store stock because I would love to try one and he said no. Now I have to ask my local GC, or have them order one for me. I have a 1990, which I love and a 2000, which is going to be sold because I don't play it enough (I'm a guitarist, not a bassist). The GG bass really intrigues me and I would really love to try one. My bass player asked me to buy one so he could play it and eventually buy it from me. That might happen....lol

Congrats on a really nice bass!

Danka! Tell your dealer to read these threads. Maybe my lame sound recording could help him change his mind. Or maybe not! Could work against the case! :)

I was also tempted to order one sight unseen... so I did. I was slightly nervous, as they are not cheap... but it is well worth it. Mine is black gold burst, ten top quilt. Pushed my Gibson Les Paul bass right to the back burner, LOL!

These are just a couple iPhone pics, I need to get some better shots of it. Awesome bass though! Mine will be seeing stages across the country soon enough!

NICE!

Danka! Tell your dealer to read these threads. Maybe my lame sound recording could help him change his mind. Or maybe not! Could work against the case! :)

Funny that you say that! He tells me that I spend too much time reading these threads. In one way, he may be right. In other ways, he is definitely wrong. These threads have helped me make good decisions and LESS mistakes when it comes to buying musical gear.
Basically, he is afraid of having the bass sit in the shop for too long, get played too much by too many people, making it "used" before he sells it. He has a small 'mom and pop' shop' and is very selective as to what he stocks or doesn't stock. Most of the instruments are high end, example, artist package PRS's, boutique amps, and stuff like that. When I was shopping for an amp, he said, "let your ears decide, don't worry about what kind of power tubes it has." This was good advice. I ended up buying my Bad Cat Cub and couldn't be happier!

Back