Too much/too many?

helmi

single & satin
Now, I am just curious as to peoples opinions. the intent of this is to NOT start a pissing match between different camps, or piss people off, or start any wars. my question is, do you ever think PRS has overexposed, or tries to be too many things to too many people? I mean core models, S2 models, SE models, amps, now pedals. I don’t know. I’ve owned 18 PRS’s over the last 12 years, and I used to be pretty knowledgeable on models from the beginning up through about 2014, but now I don’t even try to know what’s what. I just think some times too much stuff confuses and puts people off. what are your thoughts?

I can see where you're coming from, but I wouldn't say it's anymore than other brands. If anything probably less. The pedal market I don't really get personally, but I can see where Paul is chasing that tone that works for PRS guitars.

Now T style is going too far! Lol I'm sure it'll happen someday, probably sooner than later.

Nothing wrong with expanding your offerings. If you're doing something consistently well, why not test the limits? Otherwise, you run the risk of becoming stagnant. Besides, the more players out there, the better off we might be as they compete for our attention and business.

Last edited:
I just pick what I like. All but two of what I own from PRS is either discontinued or was a special run, and even one of those two is in a color no longer offered. They move on from things to move on to other things. I don’t (obviously) always agree, but they've been quite successful in spite of those divergences!

I think that some of what drives this is the general mentality of folks (or dealers) wanting to know “Whats New This Year“? That alone seems to drive the music business quite a bit, or at least it did when I was a guitar store dealer starting in the 70’s for 25 years going to NAMM every January……and pricepoints were always important concerning marketing and sales….
As far as the 3 lines (plus PS) are concerned, you have guitars in the SE line from around $650:to the thousand dollar range..
The S2 Standards start at around $1400 and that line goes to $2000
The Core line starts at around $3000 up to $6000
then the Private Stocks go from $12k on up. At least that’s my understanding…
So essentially you have every price point covered from $650 to $15000 and even higher when you get into their super high end artistic works of art guitars
For a Music retailer, that is an ideal situation to cover your market from student to high end buyers, and PRS has really done an outstanding job covering all those markets with such fine instruments in all categories. When I was a dealer for them in the early 90’s you had basically the Custom 22 and 24 and their Bolt on series.. that was it…..Nowadays it’s awesome in all price ranges….
Even though they are a small mfr compared to Fender and Gibson, they employ over 300 people… That’s still a hell of a lot of mouths to feed every week……

Last edited:
Prs is an impressive company. Paul keeps pushing the envelope on what a modern guitar can be.

Watching the video comparing the 594 to a 59LP was crazy. I think the passion has to be over the top to accomplish something like that.

The silversky line is just an amazing success story!

I also think that had Gibson followed that path then maybe I'd be on a Gibson forum posting this.

I understand that the Gibson custom shop puts out amazing instruments but Gibson guitars just don't excite me any more.

I just hope when Paul turns the ship over to the next captain that the passion remains.

I don't understand all the models and who would be interested in a Fiore instead of a silver sky, or a DW CE with a Floyd. But for those that want or need them, go for it. The wider the product base, the more people get interested. The downside is you have more specialized labor required. As long as they have the bandwidth for all the variations, it's a positive.

Didn’t Paul say “If they buy it, we’ll make it” (paraphrase)? Makes sense to me.
That apparently doesn't apply to pickups. I heard him say at a Q&A that he didn't want to be a pickup company. He'd rather sell a guitar than a pickup. Which makes sense. I'm a little surprised he got into the pedal market.

That apparently doesn't apply to pickups. I heard him say at a Q&A that he didn't want to be a pickup company. He'd rather sell a guitar than a pickup. Which makes sense. I'm a little surprised he got into the pedal market.
I‘m surprised as well, but look at all the pickups PRS has for sale now. And I’m happy he’s done that for us users that for an example want a hotter bridge pickup.
the \m/, Tremonti, HFS, Dragon 2’s are now available as well as the more vintage voiced 57/08’s and 59/09’s….
I‘ve used many different pickups over the years and imho, the PRS pickups are really voiced so well for their guitars…

Last edited:
Prs is an impressive company. Paul keeps pushing the envelope on what a modern guitar can be.

Watching the video comparing the 594 to a 59LP was crazy. I think the passion has to be over the top to accomplish something like that.

The silversky line is just an amazing success story!

I also think that had Gibson followed that path then maybe I'd be on a Gibson forum posting this.

I understand that the Gibson custom shop puts out amazing instruments but Gibson guitars just don't excite me any more.

I just hope when Paul turns the ship over to the next captain that the passion remains.
Where can I find that video @gush ? I’d love to see that

Back